A little trip down memory lane... (FF7)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
These images are amazing. Just had to post them. I really miss pre-rendered CG. I can only imagine how good a pre-rendered game would look on modern hardware with incredibly high-res character models. Why don't people make games like this any more?

What a beautiful game.

Last edited:

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
They did, it's called FFXIII.

Jk aside, I think it was better done on subsequent FFs. The areas on 7 were poorly designed, it felt awkward to move through them with lots of invisible walls, and sometimes you really needed to use the marker to know where exactly were you supposed to go. Let's hope the day when pre-rendered backgrounds are not needed arrives soon, with XV.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
They did, it's called FFXIII.

Jk aside, I think it was better done on subsequent FFs. The areas on 7 were poorly designed, it felt awkward to move through them with lots of invisible walls, and sometimes you really needed to use the marker to know where exactly were you supposed to go. Let's hope the day when pre-rendered backgrounds are not needed arrives soon, with XV.
It's not the same, though, not really. And almost all the foreground geometry in FF13 was real time stuff. The day when pre-rendered wasn't really needed arrived with FF10 - which has a little, but not much - but there's a question of artistic merit to it. I do think you can do something more beautiful with fixed perspectives, as demonstrated in some of these shots. There's just something special about it; you can create a real composition of every single shot the end user sees that way - though it of course has gameplay limitations thanks to a fixed perspective too...

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Brings a tear to my eye. They're truly beautiful. Helps them hold up so well today, too - especially on the PSP/Vita. Do hope someone brings pre-rendered back one day, in the same way many indies are opting for pixel graphics more and more.

Any chance you could grab the same for FF8 and 9, too? You could see the huge step up by the time we got to FF9, especially where the blackness that plagued the outskirts of many FF7 shots when you were inside a building was completely drawn over with gorgeous attention to detail.

Nikolasvanitas

Chocobo Knight
Sep 27, 2013
Greece
www.youtube.com
Thanks you APZonerunner ,FF7 is one of my favorite games of all time and it holds a special place in my gaming memories,
These pictures reminded me of the beautifull world of FF7 and all those memories traveling this world with Cloud and the rest of the gang
FF7 will never be forgotten,its one of these game that will endure each generation

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
These images are amazing. Just had to post them. I really miss pre-rendered CG. I can only imagine how good a pre-rendered game would look on modern hardware with incredibly high-res character models. Why don't people make games like this any more?
If I had to guess, they'd take a matte painting approach because some areas would be too expensive and difficult to build.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Outstanding. Good times. I've beat that game like 4 times (usually with Cloud, Tifa and Barret or Vincent). Its one of those games that no matter how old you get you don't forget key parts of it. Even if they can't fully remake it, maybe they could do an HD remake of it with voice work during the whole thing.

Sep 26, 2013
It's not the same, though, not really. And almost all the foreground geometry in FF13 was real time stuff. The day when pre-rendered wasn't really needed arrived with FF10 - which has a little, but not much - but there's a question of artistic merit to it. I do think you can do something more beautiful with fixed perspectives, as demonstrated in some of these shots. There's just something special about it; you can create a real composition of every single shot the end user sees that way - though it of course has gameplay limitations thanks to a fixed perspective too...
I can't agree with you more about fixed angles. They're woefully neglected in modern games, and yet they provide some of the finest pieces of art in games that I have ever seen. A number of games have been hurt by their loss, though of course I'm not arguing that evolution should be set aside for them. Still, when they were done away with, games like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy felt forever altered.