About the car (Final Fantasy XV)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I know to those of us following closely that it might seem a bit strange that anyone is still complaining about the car being on rails, but I keep forgetting that not everyone follows this game like we do. And, on top of that, there are bound to be plenty out there who knew it but are confused as to why they would even bother letting you behind the wheel in the first place.

But, I find that despite what the internet says, these people are not as dumb as you think. There's good reason for the car being the way it is and it's different from what some people expect, but not a bad thing at all.

First off, rest easy in that you'll be running the chocobo most of the time. That's your steed. It looks like they did an awesome job with the chocobos, too. They're fast enough that I'm no longer concerned with running around these huge fields- that was my biggest issue with duscae-but, they also do two things horses can't do: They can jump/float and they can swim. Full-on off-roading capabilities. That could make for some interesting dynamics. (pretty please be a Black Chocobo maybe?)

The car is for long distance traveling, but it's not just a fancy loading screen.

I shamelessly stole this from Neogaf. Original link here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=212175741#post212175741

This clever poster took some demo footage and filled in the lines to highlight what appears to be the traversable terrain of this section of the map. If it seems small to you, keep in mind that Duscae is the tiny little bit of the light blue, and this whole map looks to be about 20-30% of the continent. But, importantly, you can see the roads leading from one area to the next. And they're not all just straight shots. There are branches. The reason you can take the wheel is so you can split off your path if it looks like there's something interesting.

Personally, I'd have just let it always be on autopilot but let you steer to override it whenever you want. Before you go nodding your head in agreement, though, that's basically what manual driving is here when the car is on pseudo-rails. They're just also giving you control of the gas and brake.

The car is also a plot device, both literally and figuratively. It will literally bring you to the next plot point, and it is part of the plot. As the devs have stated, you can consider the car as almost a character. As the spirit of Regis coming along with you. I hope to hell they mean metaphorically, but the point is, the car is part of the story. It would not surprise me in the least to find out that the car breaks down in the begging of the game because it's, say, the exact moment Regis dies. And I imagine the car will be involved in some kind of accident or something that steers the Bros in the accidental right direction or something along those lines, as if to suggest Regis' influence from beyond the grave (again, I so hope metaphorically).

Anyway, if you were disappointed with it, I get it, but buck up. Have some faith. People in these positions aren't there because they're total morons. It will not only make sense when you get used to it, but you won't really miss it when you're riding on them chocobos anyway.

Oh, and, of course, let's not forget about that little... 'Upgrade' the car gets as you go along.

Last edited:

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I know to those of us following closely that it might seem a bit strange that anyone is still complaining about the car being on rails
Those of us following closely the game can also find it jarring. While I'm not one to complain since I haven't had my hands on the wheel, what APZonerunner detailed in his preview about the car didn't really sound fun to me.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Those of us following closely the game can also find it jarring. While I'm not one to complain since I haven't had my hands on the wheel, what APZonerunner detailed in his preview about the car didn't really sound fun to me.
OK, now read the next line.

Edit: less snarky version (I just woke up, sorry) - I specifically also mention people that are aware of how it is but don't get why it is the way it is. The whole post is to get the word on on why the car is the way it is. Even though it's jarring at first, once you get the whole thing, it makes sense and it's not an issue.

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Just want to confirm something, based on previews, you can't steer the Regalia in manual mode? Unless i'm reading wrong since other people say you can steer off-road. I'm quite confused.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Just want to confirm something, based on previews, you can't steer the Regalia in manual mode? Unless i'm reading wrong since other people say you can steer off-road. I'm quite confused.
The previews all say you can steer it, they just say that the game tries to keep you on the road more.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
The previews all say you can steer it, they just say that the game tries to keep you on the road more.
Ah, thought so. Weird since the Geekster preview almost implied you couldn't steer outside of picking crossroad directions, oddly.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
For the sake of this thread, I refer to it as semi-rails. You have control over the car, but you can really go off roading with it. Which is initially disappointing for some, but this thread is about why that's not the issue you might think it is at first. At the very least, you can go Into the game with the right expectations.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
It doesn't bother me that much really (even if GTAV spoiled me), even if i get the impressions, especially when we still get to fly it sky high near the end.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Ah, thought so. Weird since the Geekster preview almost implied you couldn't steer outside of picking crossroad directions, oddly.
Well, there's more to it, too. If you're driving on the wrong side of the road and a car is coming at you, it'll try to bring you back to your lane, weird stuff like that.

I'm definitely not saying it's the best design. But, I haven't played it myself yet, so I can't judge that yet. The main point is basically to not expect it to be a car sim.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
For the sake of this thread, I refer to it as semi-rails. You have control over the car, but you can really go off roading with it. Which is initially disappointing for some, but this thread is about why that's not the issue you might think it is at first. At the very least, you can go Into the game with the right expectations.
You can go off road you just have to force the car out of force field that is making it glued to the road.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
From what I've read, it still tries to keep steering you back to the road.
I think you can break past a point where the car just stops giving a fuck, then again... most places in this game have guard rails anyways, so I'm not sure where you're going to break off unless it's on dirt paths that is.