Am I missing something? (Spoilers up to chapter 13)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

chinparu48

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 4, 2013
I'm already at chapter 13, and this whole time I have this feeling that I am playing an unfinished game, instead of a polished version. In many parts of the game the story has so many holes that I started thinking that maybe I was not doing some missions but I checked guides and the truth is that the game really is like that. I am rescued by the general of the enemy army and suddenly I am back in the city with no further explanation about what happened. I arrive to Altissia and a couple of scenes later Luna is dead. I get the thunder god in the most non-eventful way and as soon as I get him he is nowhere to be seen anymore. I feel like 50% of the story content just isnt there, which is sad because the game has great concepts which could have been really epic had they been developed. But sadly most of the game I've felt really clueless about what was going on, I understood that Y happened because of X, but in an RPG, and more in a Final Fantasy, I would expect more story content. Besides, the game feels really empty. Huge but empty. I really feel like this is an early version with the basics introduced but half of the content yet to be developed

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
It's as Chinglee said, the story is quite disjointed and random.

However they did announce that they were going to add in more content to the main story scenario.

There's a feedback forum on the offical site so you could swing by there and create a post on it?

The devs will be reading the feedback btw so if a post appears often enough they'll make the necessary changes.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Nope. Not alone. While the game has a simple and interesting concept, the execution is pretty poor. A lot of writing is just missing. They throw a lot of stuff at the player that needed to be baked longer and explained better. The second half of the game did feel rushed.

Most of the side characters, who many thought would be very important, were handled very poorly as well. Some received barely any screen time. Others just dropped by to say hi only to say bye. Difficult to care for them as there wasn't much development going on.

Also a lot of blown opportunities too. The final chapter was the biggest one for me personally.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I have a related question:

Is the fight with Daemon!Iedolas missable? Because I've seen a bunch of people being confused about what happened to him, but I thought that fight made his fate completely impossible to misunderstand. >_>;

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016

Is the fight with Daemon!Iedolas missable? Because I've seen a bunch of people being confused about what happened to him, but I thought that fight made his fate completely impossible to misunderstand. >_>;
I don't think so.

Tbh there are a lot of gamers who simply don't pay attention.

I've heard some people asking some pretty ridiculous questions when the answer was a part of the main story so I wouldn't put it past people to have poor comprehension skills in some instances of the game.

With that being said, they do need to improve the writing and event scenario of the game considerably.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016

In truth I didn't even know I was fighting Idolas when I was killing off the deamon he become until after I killed him. I thought Idolas was talking from another room in the ship.

I guess I was so much in disbelief of what they did with a character that had so much potential that my brain processed that I was just fighting a slightly stronger random mob.

When I heard the final word of the deamon I was like "no, they couldn't have. They survey wouldn't!". And then I thought if they're gonna toss Ravus to the side like they did I guess they'd be lazy and do the same with the fucking Emporer of Nifleheim.

And then I got upset xD

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
In truth I didn't even know I was fighting Idolas when I was killing off the deamon he become until after I killed him. I thought Idolas was talking from another room in the ship.

I guess I was so much in disbelief of what they did with a character that had so much potential that my brain processed that I was just fighting a slightly stronger random mob.

When I heard the final word of the deamon I was like "no, they couldn't have. They survey wouldn't!". And then I thought if they're gonna toss Ravus to the side like they did I guess they'd be lazy and do the same with the fucking Emporer of Nifleheim.

And then I got upset xD
Well, I guess I can kind of see how that might have happened.

Personally, I always sort of expected Iedolas to be there mostly for Ardyn to have someone above him to kill off Kefka or Kuja style, so him being that jerk daemon who chased me around when I was stuck with super costly weapons was a step up just for being a fight at all. =P It'd have been nice to have seen him get transformed, but I kind of think it'd be better positioned as security footage after the fact to keep the daemon's identity as a reveal.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Well, I guess I can kind of see how that might have happened.

Personally, I always sort of expected Iedolas to be there mostly for Ardyn to have someone above him to kill off Kefka or Kuja style, so him being that jerk daemon who chased me around when I was stuck with super costly weapons was a step up just for being a fight at all. =P It'd have been nice to have seen him get transformed, but I kind of think it'd be better positioned as security footage after the fact to keep the daemon's identity as a reveal.
The problem with that is that he had tons of importance in Kingsglaive. He shouldn't just get turned into fodder after all of that. Him, Glauca (who should not have been killed off), Verstael, and Ravus all need meaningful fights and plenty more scenes before they meet their demise. There are literally a total of 6 main story boss fights in the game, by far the least number in any FF game, and that would be discounting any monster boss fight from other FF games. You fight the judges in XII like 5-6 times alone, Cid twice, the final villain several times, and that doesn't include having 13 summons that were all boss fights before being acquired. There are only 2 in this game (ifrit is not obtainable). Not saying that they should all be fought, especially when some are more docile than others, but I'm just shocked by the sheer number places where things were just not developed.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
The problem with that is that he had tons of importance in Kingsglaive. He shouldn't just get turned into fodder after all of that. Him, Glauca (who should not have been killed off), Verstael, and Ravus all need meaningful fights and plenty more scenes before they meet their demise. There are literally a total of 6 main story boss fights in the game, by far the least number in any FF game, and that would be discounting any monster boss fight from other FF games. You fight the judges in XII like 5-6 times alone, Cid twice, the final villain several times, and that doesn't include having 13 summons that were all boss fights before being acquired. There are only 2 in this game (ifrit is not obtainable). Not saying that they should all be fought, especially when some are more docile than others, but I'm just shocked by the sheer number places where things were just not developed.
I'm still not sure what separates him from Brahne in that regard, other than the amount of screentime he got in the game beforehand. More behind-the-scenes in Niflheim would be fantastic, but I don't see what's wrong with Iedolas' fate as it stands.

And, honestly, the same goes for Ravus. I'm 90% sure, given the base design for corpse Ravus, that his fate was lifted from Versus almost wholesale, because he looked almost exactly like a Cie'th by way of Death Stranding. He needed more screentime and maybe a fight as a human before that, but the fight we did get isn't really the problem.

As for Verstael... I kind of suspect he got saved for Prompto's DLC. >>;

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
I'm still not sure what separates him from Brahne in that regard, other than the amount of screentime he got in the game beforehand. More behind-the-scenes in Niflheim would be fantastic, but I don't see what's wrong with Iedolas' fate as it stands.

And, honestly, the same goes for Ravus. I'm 90% sure, given the base design for corpse Ravus, that his fate was lifted from Versus almost wholesale, because he looked almost exactly like a Cie'th by way of Death Stranding. He needed more screentime and maybe a fight as a human before that, but the fight we did get isn't really the problem.

As for Verstael... I kind of suspect he got saved for Prompto's DLC. >>;
Iedolas and Verstael both have literally one scene in the game, that is the problem. Where was Ravus for half the game? The characters should have proper boss fights. Ravus's wasn't really all that good, considering he should have had several boss fights already when they teased them