1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Big PS4 Announcement at TGS According to Former Famitsu Editor in Chief

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Squirrel Emperor, Aug 11, 2014.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. yeah_93

yeah_93 AVALANCHE Warrior

I'd love if Persona 5 was released for PS4. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

2. hui43210

hui43210 Yevonite

Just saying yes would be an understatement, Persona is huge in Japan, hell I'm demanding it myself be it PS3 or PS4. Thats the upside to all this, even if there is no FFXV it looks TGS will finally be the start of games I want to play for my PS4.

3. Wazi the pa

Wazi the pa Samurai Legend Moderator Site Staff

Then it could be anything......

4. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

Well yeah. A game that sells around a couple hundred thousand copies is considered "big" nowadays in Japan.

As the game is coming out for PS3, I don't think Persona 5 would help the PS4 in Japan much. The game needs to be PS4 exclusive. PSVita probably could have done a bit better if it weren't for all these cross generation titles that were available on platforms with an established user base.

5. Wazi the pa

Who knows, maybe Atlus might have started from scratch and build the game to come to the PS4.... At least that's what I think.

6. Squirrel Emperor

With the PS4 doing so poorly in Japan and the PS3 already having an established user base, I highly doubt that.

7. Wazi the pa

Who knows how long the User base of the PS3 is going to last. Making Persona 5 exclusive to the PS4 would greatly bump up unit sales and it can be highly beneficial for both PS4's in AND out of Japan.

8. Squirrel Emperor

Japan won't ignore the game just because PS4 is out and PS3 is old news.

9. Wazi the pa

Elaborate on that.

10. Squirrel Emperor

You think 10 million PS3 owners who see no reason to buy a PS4 yet are going to ignore Persona 5 on the PS3?

I know not all 10 million people will buy the game. But that's where the fan base is currently at and you can't ignore that. Especially when the PS4 is struggling right now. They're not going to just ignore the game because PS3 should be dead and old news now. Why would they? They own the platform the game is coming out on.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  11. Wazi the pa

You do have a point considering there has been spin-off Persona games that has been released on the PS3.

However, a majority of PS3 owners have no reason to purchase a PS4 right? So why not make Persona 5 for the PS4 along with the big games that are coming out on that system thus giving them a more than enough reasons to actually buy the Playstation 4. On top of that, wouldn't Atlus consider moving it to PS4 since there are a huge number of fans of the series outside of Japan who will buy it? There are 10 million PS4 users out there as well and I don't think Atlus will ignore that.

Not all 10 million will buy them like you said for the PS3 JP users but the numbers are still growing for PS4 sales.

12. Azuardo

Azuardo Materia Hunter Staff Member Moderator

There's a reason games are still being made for PS3, and that most new games are cross-gen. Last gen sells too well for devs to abandon it.

You say there are 10 million PS4s in the world now, but there are, what, 70+ million PS3s in the world, too (don't know the most recent figures).

Not sure why you think abandoning development on PS3 and switching it to a lower-installed system makes sense. It costs a lot of money to develop a game, and the rewards to suddenly stop, then try to get it up and running on a different system, are going to be slim.

It's the same reason the Tales developers have said they haven't any current plans to move to next-gen; it's core fanbase is currently on PS3.

Developers are too scared to take the initiative and those risks to make an only-PS4 game right now. There's simply more reward in keeping on making PS3 games. That will change eventually, but at this point, it's still a risky scenario to do PS4-only. I think the best way to change this would be for Sony to step in and offer a helping hand to these unsure devs. That could be what is going on with this 'big new PS4 game.'

13. Wazi the pa

If thats the case, whatever this 'big PS4 game' that will be shown at TGS will decide as to whether or not the Japanese developers will move their franchises to the Playstation 4......
    That is possible.

However, the Playstation 4 needs games appealing enough for the Japanese gamers to buy. You can already tell the launch titles and Western games aren't enough to grab the JP gamer's attention.
    Thus, what I meant earlier is that, by making JP developers move their games to the PS4, won't it make the gamers there buy a PS4?

Seems risky business wise I know but in the end the developers are able to make a game with what the PS4 is capable of running instead of limiting themselves with the PS3 hardware. I'm not saying the PS3 hardware is weak, I'm just saying theres much more opportunity development wise with the PS4 dev kit. Thus, providing a better experience for the gamers.

Nonetheless, it makes sense as to why they are 'playing safe'. I guess they are waiting for the 'right moment'. Which is TGS's 'big new PS4 game.'

14. Squirrel Emperor

Sony has to step in and make things happen over there. Mobile gaming has changed consumer habits greatly and Japan really doesn't seem to care about console gaming anymore. They're going to need some heavy hitters to get things going.

15. Jenova

Jenova ShinRa SOLDIER

Sounds more Sony related rather than Square-Enix related. Can't wait though. Hope it's a new IP from them. That or the return of The Last Guardian.

16. Squirrel Emperor

Any Shenmue 3 believers?

Wazi the pa likes this.
  17. yeah_93

yeah_93 AVALANCHE Warrior

Nope.

18. Wazi the pa

It's a real long-shot for believing a Shenmue sequel is coming.

19. Wazi the pa

I would hope to see Square's Musashi sequel game if that ever happens..... I want it though

20. Slickyslacker

Slickyslacker Yevonite

You guys are neglecting Kitase and Ito.

While Ito has been concealing his pet project for lord-knows-h0w-long, Kitase departed from working on XV in order to devote himself to his own project. Perhaps one shouldn't entirely give up on SE announcing something big at TGS, themselves.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!