1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Disney makes it clear: They own KH

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts Discussion' started by Sora96, Aug 17, 2015.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Sora96

Sora96 Sphere Hunter

"A lot of people are confused about who exactly owns Kingdom Hearts, but it's Disney - it's developed in partnership with Square-Enix."

This comes straight from John Vignocchi, VP of Production for Disney Infinity.

So if anyone else was confused, there's your answer. Square Enix does not own Kingdom Hearts.

Crystal Power and 1Truth2Lies like this.
  2. 1Truth2Lies

1Truth2Lies PSICOM Soldier

Yeah, I always knew this.

This is why it's upsetting that the KH series takes up more resources than SaGa, Mana, Parasite Eve, Front Mission, etc. Square don't even own the IP. The only benefit with this is that if Square Enix are ever about to go bankrupt, Disney could buy them out to save the KH series. However, if that happens, I expect Disney to restructure the company and pump even more resources into KH.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Sora96 likes this.
  3. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Good to have an answer to this.

4. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

Given that Disney seems to have no further interest in pursuing the core gaming market, I doubt they'll purchase Square Enix. @1Truth2Lies

5. Flash Over

Flash Over PSICOM Soldier

Nomura said this back when KH2 came out. Disney owns the property, but Square owns all original characters (Sora, Xemnas, etc)

6. timbo8

timbo8 Stiltzkin's Apprentice

no disney own the orgianl characters they just don't own the final fantasy stuff

7. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

Yeah, @timbo8 is correct; Disney owns the likes of Sora and Xemnas, but Tifa or Cloud appearing in KH doesn't impact SE's ownership of them remotely.

Flash Over and Sora96 like this.
  8. NemesisSP

NemesisSP Yevonite

I don't really see how anyone didn't know this. Tetsuya Nomura has been pretty clear that Disney owns the series and SE develops it. That includes the original characters.

As for the Final Fantasy aspects, Disney doesn't own them, so I don't know who really thought they did, but they were wrong.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!