1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Doctor Who - 50 years, 798 episodes & 2 hearts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by APZonerunner, Oct 5, 2013.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Red Wings Commander

I had so many chills during the movie. It broke my heart that the 10th doctor didn't see the Rose interface. How exactly did it take her form though? I can't believe they did something as big as altering the history of the Time Lords now, I can't wait to see what happens in the new season after the 11th regenerates.

2. Aether

Aether PSICOM Soldier Moderator UFFSite Veteran

Well technically they're not re-writing the history of the Timelords per se....the previous doctors (being the new 9,10,11 doctors) will still believe that Gallifrey wass destroyed because of timey wimey stuff. Means now the 12th doctor goes off on his own divergant time stream where Gallifrey is merely lost, not destroyed.

3. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

It's a mental piece of television. I wonder if we'll actually see fruits from the Gallifrey thing for years, though - I can see them just leaving it hanging entirely, letting it sit as it is where it is for a decade or more. The point is that for the first 50 years of the show he was running from Gallifrey (later on, running from the memory of it) and now he's running back - but that could last a decade or more, with detours!

4. Tsukiyomi

Was it ever figured out if the "War Doctor" counted as one of his regenerations? At the end of the special, he started regenerating without a single injury, which makes me think it was a "temporary" regeneration, and didn't count.

5. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

The quote he uses - "Wearing a bit thin" - is exactly what the first Doctor says before he regenerates. Basically he goes of old age. He's still dying, so it's still the same.

It's not been seen in New Who, but regeneration can just be triggered in a voluntary fashion if you want a change of face or whatever. One of the Doctor's Time Lord companions did it, in fact.

He's either got one left now, or he has used them all, depending on if you think the 10.5 half-human one counts.

6. Aether

I thought at one point around the 5 doctors he got another 3 or so regenerations? And technically they can write around the fact that Rvier Song gave him all her regenerations to save him from the venom in her lipstick...he won't be going any where soon

7. Misty

Misty Yevonite

I've been clinging to this theory also, but then I remembered that Eleven healed River's wrist with regeneration energy in Angels Take Manhattan. They'll work around it somehow, though--especially considering that, in the brief scene with Capaldi in the 50th, they said "all 13" of the Doctors--meaning Capaldi was the Thirteenth and final. The show won't end up with him. I've read some theories that he'll be granted additional regenerations when he finds Gallifrey, as a reward for ending the Time War.

8. APZonerunner

Moffat, the lead writer, has been going around in the last week saying that the meta-crisis Tenth Doctor (the handy hand) 'counts' as a use of regeneration energy, and so he has no full regenerations left. So... we're going to get our answer at Christmas, as he obviously doesn't die, we know, he turns into Capaldi!

9. Misty

Misty Yevonite

Right! I did read that in an article about the Christmas special, but it wasn't from a particularly reputable news source so I didn't want to trust it completely. I do think it's inevitable that they confront it soon. They also have not addressed The Valeyard at all, which I am hoping will also come up.

10. APZonerunner

I don't think they will address the Valeyard directly - it's such an old plot point at this point, and most of the general public don't believe it. However, you could argue the course of the war and him losing in Trial of a Time Lord just meant history changed and he manifested in a different way. Since the meta-crisis Doc is now being counted as a regeneration, it's interesting - as the Valeyard was meant to come into existence between his penultimate and last incarnations, which is now Tennant & Smith's Doctor. And who comes between them? The meta-crisis Doctor, who just so happens to commit genocide. So -- he's the Valeyard. There. Done. Loose end tied away. ;)

11. Tsukiyomi

Who is the valeyard and why is the Meta Crisis 10th doctor supposed thought to be him?

12. APZonerunner

Best just to quote a Who wiki here:
    The Valeyard was, according to the Master, "an amalgamation of the darker side of the Doctor's nature". (TV: The Ultimate Foe) The Great Intelligence also stated the Valeyard would be one of the Doctor's future names. (TV: The Name of the Doctor)

He sought to take the Sixth Doctor's seven remaining regenerations and have them for himself, eliminating his "other self" to be free of his influence, as well as murdering the Time Lords present at the trial. He was stopped by the Doctor, but escaped being captured. (TV: The Ultimate Foe)​

Basically he's a manifestation of the Doctor's dark side. He's a bit crap, though, and is mostly best ignored.

13. Nevina

Nevina Balamb Garden Freshman

Just a few more days 'til the next Doctor Who airs! Though I don't know much of the previous generation of DW, so I can't make up any theories myself. DW education is on my large list of to-dos.

14. APZonerunner

It must be insanely exciting if you came in with Matt Smith to see your first 'live' regeneration! This'll be my third now...

15. Nevina

Whoops, I probably should've clarified what I meant on generation. I meant the.. er, whatever came before the reboot! I started with Rose and short-haired-leather-coat-doc, marathoned the reboot at the constant urgings of a friend. The very first ep I saw kinda turned me off (cheesy plastic takeover thing? Meh) and I dropped it for a while, then tried the second ep due to continually hearing all the DW praise. Second ep is what hooked me due to the premise of that ep. But it seems that all the deeper doctor-specific lore occurred in the pre-reboot era.

On an unrelated note, I hope to see more of Madam Vastra, Jenny, and Strax. They're my favorite side characters : >

16. APZonerunner

The cheesy plastic takeover things are an old Doctor Who baddie from the 70s, thus them being a bit cheesy.

And... Vastra & co are coming back next Series alongside the new Doctor, they've already confirmed! :D

17. Sioux

Sioux PSICOM Soldier UFFSite Veteran

After years of accidental spoilers hanging out with the crowd from UFFsite forums I recently got back into Doctor Who and have regretted it ever since. I love the show but I already know what happens most of the time. It doesn't keep me from enjoying it thankfully as the emotional power of the show still melts my cold injun heart from time to time. A couple powerful scenes in the first five series even brought me to tears...like as in the character Hughes dying from Full Metal Alchemist tears.

I am trying to catch up fully in the next couple of days so I can watch the Matt Smith send off on BBC America. My eyes are going to hate me for the next couple of days.

18. Aether

Well in about...1 hour? I get to see Matt Smith get killed off. it's been a wild ride but now I'm ready for an actor who's not afraid to show his Scottish accent haha

19. APZonerunner

It was a bit of an uneven episode, to be honest (I prefer The End of Time, make of that what you will), but the last ten minutes was glorious.

20. Nevina

Hm, it was a little weird with the narration and suddenly an entire lifetime gone by. It felt.. choppy? But overall still a lot of fun!

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!