Doctor Who - 50 years, 798 episodes & 2 hearts

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I preferred the End of Time myself, but Time of the Doctor was amazing. I thought it was a really unique regeneration where he destroyed the Dalek ship, but noooooo. Gotta get those waterworks going before moving on to the 12th doctor. Now to play the waiting game...

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
It depends on region, but on average there's one or two three-to-five part stories (25min per part) for each old Doctor. Old Who is actually fairly hard to come by Amazon instant streaming has a few different ones, too, if you're eligible for that...

So, while the doctor would love to have the Time Lords return, he would try to prevent them if it meant destroying earth, AKA The End of Time?
It depends. It's hard to say. he misses them, but he had a rough relationship with them in the old series anyway, something that I think a lot of people actually forget. Like, they force him to regenerate once, put him on trial for treason with the threat of execution another time - it's a complicated relationship, one they removed from the 2005 reboot because they thought it complicated things too far. Now people know the show again they can bring them back.

I don't think we'll see them return in full force any time soon, though...

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Haha! In a sense, yes. There's about 98 of the 800 episodes (1st, 2nd Doctor ones) still missing, lost in time because they were never archived! The other 702 are available generally, but you might have to search a bit...

(Note: Episode here refers to a 25-minute episode, so one 'story' is 4 or 5 of those in most of Classic Who.)

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
So far i've seen an entire "story" for every classic doctor, thanks to BBC The Doctors Revisited, that was such a treat. I enjoyed the 4th doctor the most, but if I could I probably would of started with the first. I don't have access to my PC so any other means of watching them is pretty much gone right now. I'm sure one day they will become very easy to watch, just gotta wait though.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Ah, yeah, that revisited thing didn't actually air here, it was a US exclusive thing! I did catch the first five while I was out at E3, though, the place I stayed had a cable box with it on demand!

I highly recommend "Genesis of the Daleks" and "City of Death" from the Fourth Doctor, if you can find them. CoD is my favourite all time classic era Doctor Who episode.

Sioux

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Rosebud, SD
I just bought the first DVD set for William Hartnell and I plan on buying as much of the classic Who as I can before August. Oddly enough a lot of the classic Who DVD sets on-line are crazily low priced especially the used ones so I might be able to pull this off in only a handful of paychecks.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
With old Who more than new Who it's probably wise to skip around a bit. There's some great lists of what is worthwhile. A guy on NeoGAF posted a list I very much agree with, which is...

1st Doctor
An Unearthly Child
The Daleks
The Edge of Destruction
The Aztecs
Dalek invasion of Earth
Time Meddler
The War Machines
The Tenth Planet

2nd Doctor
Tomb of the Cybermen
The Ice Warriors
The Enemy of the World
Web of Fear
The Invasion
War Games

3rd Doctor
Spearhead from Space
Inferno
Terror of the Autons
The Daemons
Day of the Daleks (especially the DVD special edition)
Sea Devils
The Three Doctors
Carnival of Monsters
The Green Death
The Time Warrior

4th Doctor
The Ark In Space
Genesis of the Daleks
Terror of the Zygons
Pyramids of Mars
Brain of Morbius
Seeds of Doom
The Deadly Assassin
The Robots of Death
Talons
Horror of Fang Rock
City of Death

5th Doctor

Earthshock
The Five Doctors
Resurrection of the Daleks
Caves of Androzani

6th Doctor
lol

7th Doctor
Remembrance of the Daleks
Curse of Fenric

This stuff is all available on DVD. Some episodes, like The Chase, aren't great on their own, but have some of the best companion exits in the old show. Also not listed are some regeneration/post-regeneration episodes - they're not all good, but you may want to watch them because of their significance.

Sioux

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Rosebud, SD
Man, the first handful of episodes of Who are rather dry and awkward. You can tell even without listening to the commentary and reading up on it that the show was dealing with a lack of budget and suffering from a serious lack of shooting time. Though, having jsut watched the Aztecs I think they finally found the formula for something here. The actor for the Doctor, William Hartnell, whom I sort of just plain didn't like from the get go, is growing on me with every episode. I loved his delivery of that line in the first episode of the Aztecs, "...But you can't re-write history! Not one line!"

I am quite looking forward to seeing the Daleks again. I loved their twisted beginnings on Skaro.