Favorite Final Fantasy

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Final Fantasy IX - Sakaguchi once said that FF9 is "closest to his ideal view of what FF should be," and I agree with him.

Side game - FFTA. Something very special about that game that grabbed me in a really strong way when it released. Love the bizarre dream-based story.

Battle system - Probably still the Materia System and everything that came with it; a good balance between every character being able to do everything and locked-down classes. I have to give love to the 5's job system, 12 and the genius (but broken) Junction system. Good idea, not executed brilliantly.

Plot twist - The whole (not very well explained) twist in FF7 that the Sephiroth that antagonizes you for much of the game (ie killing people in the ShinRa HQ) isn't the actual Sephiroth but some sort of weird manipulation by JENOVA, as the real one who was thrown into the Lifestream by Zack is still in crystal in the Northern Crater. It's an interesting and often brushed-over little detail.

Side quest is hard to pick, but almost all of FF9's miss-able ATE side nods are great. The ridiculous, mental requirements for Cinna's Hammer are something else, too, especially as the reward is like another 4 lines of dialogue during the epilogue and nothing else.

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
Mainline: I can't really narrow down one so here's a few - VII, VIII, IX, X, XII and XIV.
My favorite side games are definitely Crisis Core and FF Type-0.
Favorite battles systems come from FFX's turn-based system and FF12's gambit system.
Best plot twist? There's a whole entire world outside of Midgar.
Best side quest... hmm, probably the entire ordeal for securing the extra Aeons in FFX - like Anima, Magus Sisters, etc.

What is your favorite Final Fantasy Main Line title? V,VI,IX,X,XII for me
What is your favorite Final Fantasy Side game? Type-0, 4 heroes of light, tactics advance 2
What is your favorite battle system? X, that turn based system was godly
What is your favorite plot twist? VI, destruction of the world
What is your favorite side quest? XII, all those hunts. I loved them

Sep 26, 2013
What is your favorite Final Fantasy Main Line title?
Final Fantasy VI

What is your favorite Final Fantasy Side game?
Don't really have one.

What is your favorite battle system?
Don't really have one but I liked the customization of the materia and gambit system.

What is your favorite plot twist?
Kefka betraying Gestahl, becoming a god and actually destroying the world.

What is your favorite side quest?
Hunting for optional summons in FFXII

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
What is your favorite Final Fantasy Main Line title? Final Fantasy 9
What is your favorite Final Fantasy Side game? Tough one, probably Final Fantasy Tactics
What is your favorite battle system? I actually loved the system in FF10
What is your favorite plot twist? The surprise final boss in several of the games.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Favorite Final Fantasy Main Line title: FFIX for so many reasons that I'll need a new thread, just perfect. I really anticipate a new medieval Final Fantasy, if that would be FFXVI it would be great in the future for PS4. After IX i would choose FFXIII.
Favorite Final Fantasy Side game: FF Tactics A2, and then FF Heroes of Light.
Favorite Battle System: FFX hands down... I still enjoy the energetic XIII saga system though too.
Favorite plot twist: That's touph. I will go with FFVI for Kefka's plan and XIII-2 for Caius' plan! Best villains in FF history so far for me.
Favorite side quest: I can't choose! FFIX has really so many and I love them all!

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
Favorite FF - Final Fantasy VII, as I previously revealed. Best mainline game in the series, hands down. Excellent.

Side Game - Final Fantasy Tactics. Huge fan of the amazing job system. Also really enjoyed the compelling (and complex) story and the introduction of Ivalice.

Battle System - Final Fantasy Tactics because once again, that job system.

Plot Twist - The complete mental breakdown of Cloud was completely unexpected and provided an amazing level of depth to an already very interesting character.

Side Quest - Golden Saucer. Nothing like it before, nothing like it since

Favorite FF - Final Fantasy VII, as I previously revealed. Best mainline game in the series, hands down. Excellent.

Side Game - Final Fantasy Tactics. Huge fan of the amazing job system. Also really enjoyed the compelling (and complex) story and the introduction of Ivalice.

Battle System - Final Fantasy Tactics because once again, that job system.

Plot Twist - The complete mental breakdown of Cloud was completely unexpected and provided an amazing level of depth to an already very interesting character.

Side Quest - Golden Saucer. Nothing like it before, nothing like it since

I never realized you were such a ff 7 fan

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
FFVII. The game that started it all for me and probably changed my life forever. FFVIII, IX and X will always be right alongside it, though.

I'd probably go with Crisis Core here. Apart from some things I wasn't a fan of (Genesis), it was wonderful and emotional. Dissidia and Theatrhythm I also spent a heck of a lot of time with.

FFX's Conditional Turn-Based system.

Cloud living a lie.

Now that's tough. Everything in FFVII's Gold Saucer was awesome, I loved FFVIII's Triple Triad, and FFIX's Choco Hot 'n Cold was fantastic.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY

Final Fantasy X by far. Its my most favorite videogame ever made. Its the first game where I couldnt hold back tears in the end. I have ever experienced such a powerful emotional and cinematic game before - and nothing has matched it ever since for me. Did I mention how much I want FF X HD ?

2nd place is shared by both FF VII and IX. I just cant decide which is better. VII has the greatest mythology and characters but the design, world and magic of IX is so beyond gorgeous. Plus it has a very fun gameplay and lots of humor. It is the perfect "classic style" FF. So I cant decide between them.

On 3rd place comes FF VIII, the game that made me the die hard fan I have been in the last 14 years. Back in 1999 for 2 years straight me and my friends talked about nothing else but this game. It always will have the most special place in my heart. VIII is closely followed by FF XIII which unlike many others I really liked. It was epic, had captivating characters, emotional story and the best and most interesting mythology since VII. The Siege of Eden and the entire Finale still are some of the greatest and most powerful moments in FF history in my opinion.

I only played two of them, which were FF X-2 and XIII-2. I never got into Dissidia and Crisis Core because I fiercely dislike handhelds. X-2 and XIII-2 both had their up and downs but overall because of the more serious tone and the kick ass finale, I´d say XIII-2.

By far the CTB system from FF X. It was just so damn perfect in every way. I also like the simple yet very engaging system from IX and I love also the junction system from VIII, just for how ridiculous it is to overpower your characters so early on in the game and basically turn them into gods haha. Always such fun. The cool thing about that system however is that you really need to get into it and use its complexities wisely. Then you´ll be invincible. But if you dont use it to its fullest, FF VIII can actually be ridiculously hard as I learned during my very first playthrough when it was simply impossible for me to beat Adel because my characters were too weak, too many GFs were missing and my junctions were all fucked up. VIIIs system rewarded you for understanding its intricacies and I love that today. But its obviously not a system for casual players.

Thats a tough one. The most devastating for me was to learn that Tidus was a dream of the Fayth who would vanish if they destroy SIN for good. But my favorite would be Serahs death and Lightning turning to crystal at the end of XIII-2. That just killed me. So unexpected.

There 3 that I really really love: Triple Triad, Hot´n Cold and the Monster Arena.

I am kinda in the mood for more of these so let me add some :)

What is your favorite male hero character?

Cloud, closely followed by Tidus and Squall.

What is your favorite female hero character?

Yuna and Tifa - cant decide between them. I love them so much. They are closely followed by Lightning and Aerith.

What is your favorite villain?

Sephiroth, hands down. Followed by JENOVA and Caius.

What is your favorite summon?

as my name probably indicates that would be Bahamut. He has been my favorite since the beginning and that will never change. Cant wait to see his design in FF XV!

What is your favorite weapon?

probably Tidus´Ultima Sword, closely followed by Clouds Ultimate Weapon. Though since I am a total Katana freak I cant wait for Ignis´best weapon :)

What is your favorite normal boss?

Seymour (4th fight)

What is your favorite final boss?

Seraph Sephiroth (that music is just too awesome)

What is your favorite optional boss?

Dark Bahamut and Dark Anima

What is your favorite theme song (sung by a singer)?

Suteki da ne

What is your favorite emotional song?

To Zanarkand and Aeriths Theme (orchestra versions)

What is your favorite Battle Theme?

Battle Theme FF VI (Black Mages version)

What is your favorite Boss Battle Theme?

Advent: One Winged Angel, closely followed by regular One Winged Angel, Otherworld and Esper Battle

What is your favorite romance?

Tidus and Yuna, that is my most beloved and special japanese fiction couple of all time. Followed by Cloud and Aerith.

What is your favorite Special/Limit/Overdrive?

Lionheart, followed closely by Blitz Ace and Omnislash

What is your favorite ending?

FF X by FAR, most powerful and emotional ending ever, closely followed by FF XIII

What is your favorite Opening?

Lightning vs Caius, closely followed by FF VIII opening montage, Blitzball game and Lightnings attack on tha guards.

What is your favorite CG scene (endings and openings excluded)?

the attack on Eden in FF XIII, closely followed by Tidus and Yuna in the spring and Aeriths death at the hands of JENOVA as well as Odin destroys Cleyra, Bahamut kills Brahne, Bahamut vs Alexander, Yuna and Shuyin in the Farplane. Damn there are so many awesome ones haha

What is your favorite voice actor?

Thats very tough. My favorite might be Hedy Buress as Yuna and Ali Hillis as Lightning, closely followed by James Taylor as Tidus, Troy Baker as Snow and Laura Bailey as Serah

What is your favorite character design?

I know that one is a bitch ;) My favorite is probably Advent Children Tifa, followed by Songstress Yuna, Valhalla Lightning, Sephiroth, Noctis and Stella.

Alright thats all th questions I can think of right now that I´d like to answer :)

Shinigami Frost

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 28, 2013
KY, USA

Final Fantasy X, hand down. Love everything about it, I had tried VIII before but it just didn't "click". I put a good 200 hours into this games and can't wait to do t again when the FFX HD (finally...) comes out.

Kingdom Hearts (If that counts....). Haven't played to many side games, but this is far and above my favorite.

The Ending to X.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
VI

Crisis Core and Dissidia

Had a blast with XIII's, but I don't want to play with it again. I don't like the gameplay of the series very much.

Cloud lived a lie.

None.

Arcana

Yevonite
Sep 28, 2013
What is your favorite Final Fantasy Main Line title? -
- FF8

- Triple Triad from FF8 (Crisis Core as a side game)

- Kingdom Hearts Battle System.

- The dream of FFX

- Triple Triad Card Quest from FF8

Last edited:

ImminentBread

Balamb Garden Freshman
Sep 28, 2013
My favourite main line game is VIII, closely followed by XIII. VIII was my introduction to the series. Plus, I like the Junction system for reasons best described by Omegaflare.

My favourite side game is Dissidia Duodecim.

My favourite battle system is Command Synergy Battle from XIII and XIII-2. This might be replaced by Style-change Active Time Battle from LR when it comes out.

My favourite plot twist would have to be Laguna being the president of Esthar.

My favourite side quest is the Sunleth Waterscape -400 AF- area from XIII-2. The whole scenario is just ridiculous in a good way.

Masqurin

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 27, 2013
What is your favorite Final Fantasy Main Line title? Used to be VI. Now it's all XII.
What is your favorite Final Fantasy Side game? Tactics.
What is your favorite battle system? XII. I loved how you can strategically engage and plan out something in advance rather than running around in circles waiting for things to come by. XIII is pretty cool too - it's what hooked me into continuing the game.
What is your favorite plot twist? Faris. Faris. Faris. I think I fell in love after.
What is your favorite side quest? Yuffie and Cloud's dating scene. Also ahh ehh... Triple Triad.

Sep 29, 2013
Favorite Main Line title? Final Fantasy VII

Favorite spin off? Crisis Core

Favorite battle system? Final Fantasy XIII

Favorite plot twist? Cant really think of one that stands out

Favorite side quest? Probably Yuffie and her Wutai quest

Favorite mini game? TRIPLE TRIAD!

Ehren

The Sunflower Knight
Site Staff
Sep 17, 2013
Bethany, Oklahoma
Favorite Final Fantasy: XII
Favorite Subseries Title: Crystal Chronicles (Gamecube)
Favorite Battle System: Tie between XII and X-2
Favorite Plot Twist: The truth about the miasma in Crystal Chronicles. Didn't fukken see it coming.
Favorite Side Quest: The XII fight with Gilgamesh, in the Lhusu Mines
Favorite Minigame: All of the Time Rifts in XIII-2

Caius

Yevonite
Sep 29, 2013
What is your favorite Final Fantasy Main Line title?: XIII and XII ;;
What is your favorite Final Fantasy Side game?: Tactics Advance! I really really love this game + the battle system, and ah. It's so beautiful despite being a GBA title.
What is your favorite battle system?: Tactics Advance / XIII. Sorry XII, although XII had a pretty kickbutt battle system too~
What is your favorite plot twist?: FFX where we find out Yuna has to die in order to complete the pilgramage. (Mainly because of the fact I can't think of any other plot twists off the top of my head). Also, where we find out Alyssa and Hope were murdered in XIII-2 in 13 AF. Do the endings of XII, XIII, and XIII-2 count as plot twists? If so....
What is your favorite side quest?: This is a very good question. One would be the Vile Peaks in XIII-2, seeing as both VP's are completely optional, and we get to see Sazh there, so why not? Probably some other things in XIII-2 as well.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
About my favorite games in the series:

Starting with FF VI, there hasnt really been a FF to me which I didnt like at all. Some I absolutely loved (like X), others I really liked (XIII) and while I wasnt too crazy about FF XII (because it really lacked the emotional power and familiar feeling of a Final Fantasy game), it still was a game that was gorgeous and fun to play.

However there is an "elite league" of FF games that to me ranks far above the other games. the games in that league are Final Fantasy VII, IX and X.

FF X is my most favorite game of all time, I am deeply emotionally connected to it. My heart and soul belongs to that game, its world and characters. Its the first game where I ever cried at the end and gave me the most emotionally powerful gaming experience of my life. Nothing has ever matched that experience ever since. FF X is my alpha and my omega. I love it down to every little detail.

FF VII has an amazing mythology that extends way beyond FF VII, making it pretty much the most epic of all FF stories. It has easily the greatest cast in the series as well as the greatest villain and some of the biggest most iconic moments and designs in the series. That game is so beloved for a reason. It also remains the highest rated FF alongside FF VI (94 %) as well as the highest selling FF of all time (10 Million units sold worldwide). Someone once wrote that Final Fantasy VII is the Beatles of RPG haha. Thats actually pretty accurate. Today of course the outdated graphics kind of taint the experience a bit. VIII and IX despite being on the same console have far better graphics that dont impact the experience of the games while I find that the graphics of VII actually do rob it of some of its power and magic these days after we got so used to HD graphics. But once you get past the graphics it still is one of the crown jewels of the series in every way.

FF IX is probably the most perfect medieval-fantasy installment of the series. Event oday I find the graphics gorgeous and fantastic. story, characters, humor, design, music, gameplay - its all nearly flawless. Its Sakaguchis (FF creator) favorite game in the series and the one that represents his vision the best. Often I find myself torn between VII and IX for the top spot of the PSOne era. VII has such an epic world, mythology and characters and is so tragic and deep but IX is so magical, fun, gorgeous and perfect in content and gameplay. Its a hard choice.

My List of favorite FFs:

1. Final Fantasy X
2. Final Fantasy VII AND IX
3. Final Fantasy VIII AND XIII
4. Final Fantasy VI (the ultimate SNES FF!)
5. Final Fantasy X-2
6. Final Fantasy XIII-2
7. Final Fantasy XII
8. Final Fantasy IV
9. Final Fantasy II
10. Final Fantasy I
11. Final Fantasy V

I never played III (Nintendo-exclusive), XI and XIV (dont like MMOs)