Feedback on battle theme composition

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
Hi, everyone, I created a battle theme (or what is supposed to be a battle theme, lol) as part of a demo CD. Here's an almost-finished excerpt. If you have the time, could you tell me what you think? Do you think it'd be appropriate as a battle theme? Where can I improve (sound imbalance, etc.)? I'll consider melodic changes for future compositions since this one's pretty much set...

Anything (relevant) is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
Thanks for your response.

How interesting! If I understood correctly, you've imagined the theme from the boss's perspective? I've never considered battle themes to be from the enemy's point of view.

I cut the excerpt from the middle of the theme, so what you've heard in the "opening section" is in fact the second part. The "opening" is actually the last theme you hear.

As for your question: yes, I intended for this composition to be a regular battle theme and not a boss one. The fights wouldn't be too difficult and may actually be kind of fun (hence the use of a major key rather than staying in a minor the whole time). I wanted to create an adrenaline-inducing piece, but at the same time, I thought about the player's character. The different degrees of intensity that you hear in these mere 60 seconds represent this character's struggle between advancing (by fighting) and quitting midway through the journey. That's about as "deep" as I've gone in my thoughts about the composition, though. haha

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
You got talent, don't let anyone say otherwise.

I suggest you dig in some battle themes from some of your favorite games. Listen to some boss themes as well and compare between the normal battle and boss themes. From there, you can get a clear idea as to why at this moment it should be powerful or this part of the theme should be motivational etc.

When you hear those themes, picture them in the situation the game takes place in when those themes are in play. You can get an clear understanding of why the theme was designed that way.
Thanks! That's encouraging to hear considering this is my first ever composition. ^^

Per your advice I shall do just that.

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
It's been a while since I've gotten back into composition, and even then, I treat it as a not-very-serious hobby. Anyway, here are some extra short tunes or so that you might enjoy!
A battle theme-remix excerpt of GuardianSoul's contribution to the upcoming Overtale (fan sequel to Undertale). Catchy tune! (GuardianSoul is the amazing person who recreates all of the XV trailer music, but his original compositions and arrangements are actually better than his recreations, as evident here and here).

And then some FFXV reimaginings (not to be taken seriously):
Veiled in Black: https://soundcloud.com/rkane1/veiled-xv
Stealth Theme: https://soundcloud.com/rkane1/untitled-xv