1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

FFXV discussion thread [No Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Discussion' started by Slaintimez, Nov 29, 2016.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Nova

Nova AVALANCHE Warrior

My take is that i feel that the story presentation itself is still the real culprit behind various issues of the plot, and that i doubt getting rid of the chapter-styles format would have meaningfully changed much.

I think i mentioned this before, but i'll bring Xenoblade Chronicles as an example. The game itself was divided between chapters (Xenoblade 2 will also fallow this), the difference between it and FFXV is that unlike the latter the former made use of a more gradual transition & pacing in order to not throw the player off while keeping a focused narrative throughout the game.

I have no problem with anyone just not being fond of chapter-like transitions, this is however mostly my piece on the matter as i feel that utilizing the format could still work with much better execution, should S.E. still decide to keep it or ditch it in future FF releases of course.

EDIT: Agghh bad grammar edited lol

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    SerjAngelo likes this.
  2. Jubileus

Jubileus AVALANCHE Warrior

Right?

I mean look at FFX.

No chapters but we knew we were starting a new “chapter” whenever we got to a new location or received a new objective.

I forgot if FFXII had it, but the chapter stuff got introduced in FFXIII wasn’t it?

3. Nova

Nova AVALANCHE Warrior

I believe XIII did yes.

4. T.O.T

T.O.T Clan Centurio Member

X-2 consisted of 5 chapters which originally released for the PS2.

Nova likes this.
  5. Jubileus

Oooh that's right.

Played that game years ago so I forgot about that.

T.O.T likes this.
  6. Storm

Storm AVALANCHE Warrior

FFT also had a chapter structure.

7. Ikkin

Ikkin ShinRa SOLDIER

Personally, I don't think the existence of the title cards is as much of an issue as their presentation -- it's just a little weird to have separate title cards and chapter cards. Merging the title card into the chapter cards for the relevant segment would render them a non-issue without removing content.

The cold open's problem, on the other hand, is that there's no reason for it to be trivially playable. Either stick to a cutscene or, preferably, create a unique gameplay segment for the opening so you can play as an endgame Noct upon loading up the game.

As for the time skips, Chapter 5 is in desperate need of an added cutscene explaining how the bros got from Ardyn's airship to the chocobo farm. Chapter 10 could use one, too, though I expect the necessary scene will appear in Episode Ignis.

Nova likes this.
  8. Jubileus

I always wondered what took place at the end of chapter 4 and the beginning of chapter 5.

It must’ve been one awkward ride with all the chocobros all sitting on one side of the ship shooting dirty glances at Ardyn warily as he chatted away lol.

I’d say that makes for a funny scene.

As for the chapter 10 time skip and whether it will be addressed in Episode Ignis, I think that can only be done via cutscenes since I don’t think there will be gameplay stuff once he becomes blind.

9. Ikkin

Ikkin ShinRa SOLDIER

The potential humor value of the Chocobros having to endure Ardyn as they're spirited away and dumped off without their car is definitely part of the reason why I want a cutscene added there.

As for Episode Ignis, Episodes Gladio and Prompto both included framing scenes that show the episode's lead talking to Noct/the party about the events, so it seems reasonable to expect something similar there. And in terms of the timeline, the boat trip from Altissia to Niflheim is an ideal place for that to happen.

Nova and Jubileus like this.
  10. Storm

Storm AVALANCHE Warrior

11. Jubileus

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!