FFXV discussion thread [No Spoilers]

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
Game is finished, 37 hours. I don't remember any game that brings so much tears in my eyes. Maybe because i was attached to characters too much? Anyway, next days will be hard to put everything together.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Does anyone know how to actually summon the summons?

Very mild spoilers, but just in case:

I have Titan and Ramuh (which the game horribly mispronounces, like it does from everything from my childhood :p). I've only summoned Ramuh once and only because it popped up and told me to hold the summon button. I've yet to bring out Titan and I don't know how.

Are there conditions that need to be met in order to summon? And if so, what are they? Or are they all just random?

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Managed to drag myself away from the game so I thought why not give my impressions to you guys(even though I was going to come back after finishing the game xD):

I've played 38 hours and am on chapter 5. I've been doing as many sidequest as avaliable(as much as I can stomach)before moving on with the pain objective.

How's it been so far? Pretty good but overall the game feels undecooked. So far its shown potential of having powerful, moving and emitonal moments but those feel unfortuntly undercooked. There have been some genuinely excellent moment but far too many rough patched. Things just are not executed very well and there are some very odd design choices.

The battle system is the best thing about the game. It's fun, tactical and flashy. They could have done alot more with it though.

The characters are fantastic. The chemistry between them is just how I expects it to be.
The supporting/npc characters so far, in terms of development screen time has been....decent. The implementation and how they interact with your characters has been a bit weak though.

The music is hit and miss. Music used in major scenes have been fine. The battle themes are orgasmic. Character themes very fitting. Lestallum music is vomit inducing. Overworld theme was nice for first area of game and I was expecting different overworld theme for second area. Also sound a tad bit generic.

The sidequest are pretty horrendous minus the huts. Horrible soulless fetch quest with no diversity. However, the Noctis and Co do comments on some quests with interesting dialogue and with some of these busy work sidequest you do get a bit of backstory from the Quest giver which is nice.

Driving around is brilliant. Listening to your favourite FF tracks while driving in the rain and taking in the scenery is one of the most relaxing and therapeutic things ever! Really made me feel like I'm playing a true FF game.

Cities/town: only come across one major area and it feels undercooked and restricted. Not that interesting but aesthetically it's pleasing.

Story seems interesting so far. Plentiful cutscnes although I find it off that one or two scenes are optional question marks. They should not be. They should be part of the main scenarios. Not an optional thing to view.

Graphics and presentation are outstanding. It a beautifully crafted world. There are some blemishes here and there but nothing major. But at the same time, it feels alive and moving but sometimes shallow.

Glitches: lighting glitch once. Fixed by saving and reloading. And questions mark quest disappearing once.

So overall, so far the game feels like a grand endeavour but and end endeavour that ultimate feels like huge potential gone to waste.

A decent FF game with flaws a plenty. Some quite easy to look past. Others leave you scratching your head thinking "how did they thing this was a good design choice" and annoying thinking "they could have done so much more with this".

I'm enjoying the game no doubt. But even with expectations in check, it failed to deliver so far in most of its aspects.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Okay so FFXV just skyrocketed into awesomeness after a certain fight in a base :D

One of the most enjoyable battles I've had in the game so far. Love the character!

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Managed to drag myself away from the game so I thought why not give my impressions to you guys(even though I was going to come back after finishing the game xD):

I've played 38 hours and am on chapter 5. I've been doing as many sidequest as avaliable(as much as I can stomach)before moving on with the pain objective.

How's it been so far? Pretty good but overall the game feels undecooked. So far its shown potential of having powerful, moving and emitonal moments but those feel unfortuntly undercooked. There have been some genuinely excellent moment but far too many rough patched. Things just are not executed very well and there are some very odd design choices.

The battle system is the best thing about the game. It's fun, tactical and flashy. They could have done alot more with it though.

The characters are fantastic. The chemistry between them is just how I expects it to be.
The supporting/npc characters so far, in terms of development screen time has been....decent. The implementation and how they interact with your characters has been a bit weak though.

The music is hit and miss. Music used in major scenes have been fine. The battle themes are orgasmic. Character themes very fitting. Lestallum music is vomit inducing. Overworld theme was nice for first area of game and I was expecting different overworld theme for second area. Also sound a tad bit generic.

The sidequest are pretty horrendous minus the huts. Horrible soulless fetch quest with no diversity. However, the Noctis and Co do comments on some quests with interesting dialogue and with some of these busy work sidequest you do get a bit of backstory from the Quest giver which is nice.

Driving around is brilliant. Listening to your favourite FF tracks while driving in the rain and taking in the scenery is one of the most relaxing and therapeutic things ever! Really made me feel like I'm playing a true FF game.

Cities/town: only come across one major area and it feels undercooked and restricted. Not that interesting but aesthetically it's pleasing.

Story seems interesting so far. Plentiful cutscnes although I find it off that one or two scenes are optional question marks. They should not be. They should be part of the main scenarios. Not an optional thing to view.

Graphics and presentation are outstanding. It a beautifully crafted world. There are some blemishes here and there but nothing major. But at the same time, it feels alive and moving but sometimes shallow.

Glitches: lighting glitch once. Fixed by saving and reloading. And questions mark quest disappearing once.

So overall, so far the game feels like a grand endeavour but and end endeavour that ultimate feels like huge potential gone to waste.

A decent FF game with flaws a plenty. Some quite easy to look past. Others leave you scratching your head thinking "how did they thing this was a good design choice" and annoying thinking "they could have done so much more with this".

I'm enjoying the game no doubt. But even with expectations in check, it failed to deliver so far in most of its aspects.
Thanks for sharing you impression.

Yeah at this point we can only hope that Tabata and team take all this feedback and add in more scenarios and story beats into the game so things make more sense via patch updates.

Game probably needed at least 1 more year in the oven to completely flesh everything out imo.

But it's fun regardless of the strange execution at times.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Hopefully XVI has a good development, XII,XIII,and XV all had troubled development and it showed
With XII and XV changing directors and XIII having troubles with its engine and the developers finding it hard to make hd towns. Here hoping to a great development for XVI and future titles.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Thanks for sharing you impression.

Yeah at this point we can only hope that Tabata and team take all this feedback and add in more scenarios and story beats into the game so things make more sense via patch updates.

Game probably needed at least 1 more year in the oven to completely flesh everything out imo.

But it's fun regardless of the strange execution at times.
I was thinking the same thing on my playthrough. My takeaway is that with another 12-18 months, they could have probably left the invasion sequence, the "meeting", and more integrated story beats. But I'm quite pleased with what we got.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
So much potential! Really loving the scenarios and events happening as the story goes on.

It just needs more 'meat', depth and layers to the scenarios. Before you know it, it over and done with then your on too the next part. Far too rushed.

I keep getting the feeling of "man, this is like that awesome bit in FFVIII/FFIX/FFVII but why'd they gotta make it very simplified and bite-sized in comparison?"

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Yeah I'm hearing a lot of people agreeing that there needs to be more "meat" to the story.

Development for DLC hasn't started yet has it?

If Square plays their cards right and are listening very closely to the opinions and feedback from fans, if they take this opportunity to satisfy customer demands by adding more to the story and then using the DLC to give the FFXV universe and story more depth by expanding on it, this could be one of the most memorable games in the franchise.

So much potential as ChingleeTribal stated. Let's hope they follow through.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Game is finished, 37 hours. I don't remember any game that brings so much tears in my eyes. Maybe because i was attached to characters too much? Anyway, next days will be hard to put everything together.
That's a very good thing.

All I wanted was to love the main cast so I'm happy. This game has my fav cast out of all the FF games.

Looking forward to hearing your final thoughts on the game after you've gathered yourself together xD

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
That's a very good thing.

All I wanted was to love the main cast so I'm happy. This game has my fav cast out of all the FF games.

Looking forward to hearing your final thoughts on the game after you've gathered yourself together xD
The party members are rather good. Never before has a final fantasy party member had me laughing more than Prompto! Especially the fan fare, and when you stop to sleep and he shouts ''WooHoo bath time!''

Epic.

I'm actually thinking I like this game more than I liked VII.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
The party members are rather good. Never before has a final fantasy party member had me laughing more than Prompto! Especially the fan fare, and when you stop to sleep and he shouts ''WooHoo bath time!''

Epic.

I'm actually thinking I like this game more than I liked VII.
Very interesting thanks for sharing.

Yeah the cast are my fav FF cast. Very likeable and great to hang out with.

If we're comparing this to VII, I'd say VII does a better job at telling an engaging and interesting story. Depth of storytelling for 7 is the best in the series Imo, especially when it comes to piecing together story bits.

This game I feel has a higher fun factor and is very addictive thanks to the open world, updated gameplay and graphics. Very difficult to put down. I think this game beats 7 in this regard, as well as characters you'd like to hang out with :p

Love both games though.

The GemiKnight

Clan Centurio Member
Nov 11, 2016
Durban, South Africa
I guess we need this one guys.

Hows your playthru so far lads? I really like it, spend 4 hours, currently at start of chapter 2. I really need to know if there is an item to prevent you from leveling? It would've been helpful.

Friendly advice to listen to the radios and read papers, tons of interesting stuff here. Luna interview, Regis speech - everything through the radio.

Love my Masamune and Leviathan skin for car :p
How's my playthrough? Only freakin' amazing!!! Life has officially been put on hold.

AverageAfro

PSICOM Soldier
Aug 3, 2016
I agree, could have done with another year in development. I think there's 2 main reasons it's turned out like this. 1st, budget reasons, another year in development might not have been feasible for them, we all know the trouble SE has had before, and 2nd, I think disk space. They basically filled it up, and I feel there are a few places where it seemed they just cut stuff, either because it was too long, or wasn't fully realized. This all really ties into the rocky development that it had.

DGMW, I love what we have now, and I think with DLC, they can make it into something fully realised, flesh out some of the story bits that feel rush, and add in some places that feel missing (Tenebrae).

I just can't shake the slight disappointment I have in my chest, even though I really enjoy playing it and finding cool things. It just feel slightly off...

Edit: If anything was cut, either because it didn't fit or was undeveloped, I hope we get all that added in as DLC. As someone said above me, if they're really listening to the fans, which they have done so far. They'll priorities adding in, or back in, the stuff they couldn't get in due to time constraints.

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
I agree, could have done with another year in development. I think there's 2 main reasons it's turned out like this. 1st, budget reasons, another year in development might not have been feasible for them, we all know the trouble SE has had before, and 2nd, I think disk space. They basically filled it up, and I feel there are a few places where it seemed they just cut stuff, either because it was too long, or wasn't fully realized. This all really ties into the rocky development that it had.

DGMW, I love what we have now, and I think with DLC, they can make it into something fully realised, flesh out some of the story bits that feel rush, and add in some places that feel missing (Tenebrae).

I just can't shake the slight disappointment I have in my chest, even though I really enjoy playing it and finding cool things. It just feel slightly off...

Edit: If anything was cut, either because it didn't fit or was undeveloped, I hope we get all that added in as DLC. As someone said above me, if they're really listening to the fans, which they have done so far. They'll priorities adding in, or back in, the stuff they couldn't get in due to time constraints.
That's pointless though adding in stuff for the main story to flesh it out, because that would require another play through. I know a lot of people like to beat the game and then play through again to 100% it but a lot of us don't like doing that - I plan on completing everything on my first run through so if they add some DLC or updates that just add extra scenarios to flesh out the main quest line, it'll be pointless for a lot of people as they'll have to start the whole game again.

AverageAfro

PSICOM Soldier
Aug 3, 2016
That's pointless though adding in stuff for the main story to flesh it out, because that would require another play through. I know a lot of people like to beat the game and then play through again to 100% it but a lot of us don't like doing that - I plan on completing everything on my first run through so if they add some DLC or updates that just add extra scenarios to flesh out the main quest line, it'll be pointless for a lot of people as they'll have to start the whole game again.
I see your point, and I agree with it. We already know that we're going to find out how Gladio gets that extra scar on his forehead through his DLC, so they can add in more side character depth through those. Maybe to clarify with the main story, I don't mean adding in whole new parts to it (even though that's what I'd like) it just isn't done. I meant smooth out some of the transitions and animations with patches, shouldn't have said DLC, that way everyone is getting the same story, just with the updates it'll be smoother.

We never know, this might be what they're planning with the Holiday NG+ they're adding.

I'm still coming off of the emotional train of finishing it the first time...

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
Have you played Witcher 3? Its not actually hard to flesh out some characters. Just add Luna point of view, Tenebrae and her relationship with Ravus.
Same is in Witcher 3, you can start any DLC without finishing the game. I think SE really run out of time, and cut alot of stuff, but they still can add it via DLC's and expand universe.

Zeno

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 14, 2015
Anyone else frustrated with the subtitles?

I'm running the game with Japanese voices and English subtitles. Just a personal preference of mine and I'm not here to say one is better over the other.

Upon starting the game, I noticed some strange things where people were talking but no subtitles were shown. I had no idea what they were saying. I thought this was a glitch where the it just missed displaying a subtitle.

But after playing for an hour or two, I noticed this all across the game between some casual chats between the 4 heroes (but only sometimes, namely one at the beginning) as well NPCs I directly talk to by pressing X.

Voice conversations are just blatantly missing subtitles. Why? What happened to the localization of this game?

It's so frustrating walking up to a NPC who gives Hunts and pressing X to hear them talk, only for no subtitles and the player having no idea what they just said. What's even more frustrating is that this example NPC I've provided below does have subtitled voice conversations but with only some lines..? But these lines are like "How's it going boys?" so it's not like they picked significant lines to subtitle over the non-subbed lines! (and yet the NPCs you can't interact with still have translated lines...)

Videos of an example:

https://twitter.com/Zenoxio/status/804549378178478081
https://twitter.com/Zenoxio/status/804551804059058177

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Anyone else frustrated with the subtitles?

I'm running the game with Japanese voices and English subtitles. Just a personal preference of mine and I'm not here to say one is better over the other.

Upon starting the game, I noticed some strange things where people were talking but no subtitles were shown. I had no idea what they were saying. I thought this was a glitch where the it just missed displaying a subtitle.

But after playing for an hour or two, I noticed this all across the game between some casual chats between the 4 heroes (but only sometimes, namely one at the beginning) as well NPCs I directly talk to by pressing X.

Voice conversations are just blatantly missing subtitles. Why? What happened to the localization of this game?

It's so frustrating walking up to a NPC who gives Hunts and pressing X to hear them talk, only for no subtitles and the player having no idea what they just said. What's even more frustrating is that this example NPC I've provided below does have subtitled voice conversations but with only some lines..? But these lines are like "How's it going boys?" so it's not like they picked significant lines to subtitle over the non-subbed lines! (and yet the NPCs you can't interact with still have translated lines...)

Videos of an example:

https://twitter.com/Zenoxio/status/804549378178478081
https://twitter.com/Zenoxio/status/804551804059058177
i noticed that, considering playing with english voices now.