FFXV discussion thread [No Spoilers]

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
just had the hardest fight... against the coral allural bass

now that was a challenge, got him with 99 durabillity... after a few failed attempts.

i was fishing wrong the entire game, used to only tilt L3 while the prompt was on screen, but it's actually much better to your durability to press.

edit:

another fantastic gif by sunhilegend (final chapter spoilers)

http://i.imgur.com/zkklrPo.gif

one of my favorites battles in the entire franchise.
That fish was hard to reel in for sure. And to think that there are even more harder fish in the game!

That fight was truly epic.

Can you imagine they added in Ifrit using Hellfire against us in the upcoming patches?

One hit K.O for the entire party and you'd probably have to use mega Phoenix down xD

... I'm ok with this.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I haven't seen any streamer, or anyone ever, talk about this event in the game so gonna mention it here in case some people missed it.

In chapter 10 before you go down the elevator into the dungeon, talk to Prompto who is standing on the balcony overlooking Cartanica.

He will tell you Ignis and Gladio are in the dining car.

Go back inside the train (the one with the doors open) and head into the dining car.

You'll see Gladio with Ignis all depressed, with Ignis just sitting there next to his walking stick opposite Gladio. It's a very sad sight with this absolutely amazing jazzy rendition of Valse Di Fantastica playing in the background.

The mood there is sooo depressing yet the music makes it all the more memorable.

The track is called "Dining Car". Seriously look it up. Of course the impact is complimented when both the scene and music are alongside one another.

You can also order food here too.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I haven't seen any streamer, or anyone ever, talk about this event in the game so gonna mention it here in case some people missed it.

In chapter 10 before you go down the elevator into the dungeon, talk to Prompto who is standing on the balcony overlooking Cartanica.

Go back inside the train (the one with the doors open) and head into the dining car.

You'll see Gladio with Ignis all depressed, with Ignis just sitting there next to his walking stick opposite Gladio. It's a very sad sight with this absolutely amazing jazzy rendition of Valse Di Fantastica playing in the background.

The mood there is sooo depressing yet the music makes it all the more memorable.

The track is called "Dining Car". Seriously look it up. Of course the impact is complimented when both the scene and music are alongside one another.

...wow, that's a pretty big thing to make missable. o_0;

I somehow managed to miss Talcott at Hammerhead in the World of Ruin and was very surprised to see how much dialogue he had when watching a YouTube vid of the game's story. It even explains more about what happened to Jared!

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland

thankfully i'm a avid explorer and didn't missed it ;P

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
What´s everyone opinon regarding this missable story details? Are you ok with them or you think they should have made them unmissable?
I think it's ok to have some missable story details like in ff7 with zack and Lucrecia.

Of course those are more bonus story content not mainline stuff so that's why it was ok.

It's fine if the missable story details was bonus in nature like the zack and lucrecia reference, but anything main story related definitely needs to be tied directly in and not missable at all.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Re-visted the Crestholm Channel Dungeon.

Got Snake-raped in the mid section.

Game over'd. Fast traveled back to Lestallum for food buff.

Went back to the dungeons and rekt'd the snake boss while discovering all the generators.

Traveresed and unlocked a path to
the dragon looking boss.

Struggled but pulled through in the end.

Felt soooooooo satisying, until
i realized i lacked the key to open the secret door. T-T

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
Dude that dungeon is boss. It took me like 2 hours cause I missed like 2 of the generators somewhere (luckily I had the guide :p) And yeah without food buffs its hard, what level were you when you went through? I went through at level 50 so food buffs were sort of optional to me.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Re-visted the Crestholm Channel Dungeon.

Got Snake-raped in the mid section.

Game over'd. Fast traveled back to Lestallum for food buff.

Went back to the dungeons and rekt'd the snake boss while discovering all the generators.

Traveresed and unlocked a path to
the dragon looking boss.

Struggled but pulled through in the end.

Felt soooooooo satisying, until
i realized i lacked the key to open the secret door. T-T
I got wrecked the first time I stepped in their at level 55 just to retrieve the auto part for Cindy.

Escaped asap after I found it.

The snake monster wrecked my party until Ramuh saved me.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Was going to post it in the spoiler thread, but there doesn't seem to be a "go-to thread" and I've been posting my impressions here, so I figured this was a better place.

I finished the game exactly a week ago, actually (arrived to that last checkpoint Saturday night, but then went out, so I played the rest Sunday morning). I've been meaning to post my impressions for the whole week, but I've had a rather busy one, all the way until yesterday.

SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE GAME:
I guess having finished the game in two times might have diminished its ending's impact a little bit, but I still fucking loved it.

So let's see: the whole Chapter 14 is pretty nice, but it need much more: it needed to let you explore some of Lucis and see how fucked up the world has gotten; it should have let you go find your friends doing whatever they were doing during that timegap (hunting, cooking, whatever), making the chapter much larger in length and scope; Insomnia (fucking great use of Somnus, I tell you that) should have been bigger and more intricate (like Gralea, I would have killed for some citizen interaction or something).

I mean, we NEVER get to see Insomnia's life. We don't get to see what you're fighting for. That really diminish Noct's goal (before the whole "save the world" thing becomes more apparent). It's a shame that a game with such a lived-in world didn't get that right, and I'm assuming it was mostly out of time restraints. A big shame; even flashbacks could have done the job.

The monsters in Insomnia were very, very fun (fuck that mech thing, though; I'm guessing I'll return at a later time to kill it). The soldiers were the most satisfying ones, as well as Yojimbo. King Behemoth was cool, although I spent the whole battle by myself, as I didn't really want to waste items (I had a shitton of them, though).

Ifrit. Man, what a fucking beast of a design. The battle(s) was nice enough; I actually had a blast with it.

Ardyn's battle was... well, I don't know. It should have been a little longer or at least allow us a new phase (whether he would have had a "FF demon/angel/god form"™ or not). I enjoyed it, but the second part where you go SSJ wasn't very fun, much like during Leviathan.

So OK, in regards to plot now: how Noctis goes to sleep (it was predictable as fuck, but I still dislike this device for timeskips) and then wakes up in a fucking island is so weirdly done: no weight or importance. Your landing in Galdin Quay was actually cool, with some strong creatures and the realization that everything had gone to shit (poor waitress...). I honestly was shocked to see the Demon Wall (ran away like a chicken) and actually got my second summon in the whole game against Master Tonberry (first one was Titan; this one was Leviathan, which was very awkward as I was inside a cave).

And then fucking Talcott picks you up. I mean, I wasn't truly surprised, but I really wanted to go all the way up to Insomnia by myself. His dialogue as you cross Leide is both cool and frustrating: cool because you get insight about this world, about Talcott himself (the Cactilio toys were a great touch, although I didn't get a single one for him lol) and about the guys; frustrating because, well, it would have been great if you had been able to discover all of that by yourself and could reunite with ALL of them.

When you meet your friends again... man, how are all of them that fucking cold. It's your friend you haven't seen in 10 years! Considering everything else, however, I wasn't really shocked. The music that sounded during the camping scene was amazing, goosebumps. Also, I mentioned this earlier, but does Gladio have a girlfriend now? Nice for him!

Entrace in Insomnia is, again, underwhelming, although the first scene is cool (the one during E3). Now, onto Ardyn and Ifrit. I fucking love the concept of Ifrit in this game, but they barely explain anything and just let you fight him. OK, why not.

When Noctis asked for a picture, I knew what was coming, if it wasn't clear enough already. I played it safe and picked the first one with the Regalia (was about to pick the one in Caem, but I felt that the journey was about these four friends rather than the others, who barely appear).

Now we get a great scene (which is, sadly, incredibly weird in this game): how you get illusions of Aldercapt (underused), Regis (underused), Luna (underused) and Nyx (really nice surprise!). It was so creepy, and when Noctis calls him a jester and that the throne is for the king... That was some nice dialogue there. Of course, your mates are quickly incapacitated and you get in the final fight.

I liked the exchanges, Ardyn's tragic background and all of that. Also his fighting style, for obvious reasons. His goal, too, and you could say he actually succeded in achieving it. What a great man :bawling:.

The farewell scene was well done, what with all the POTTERY in regards to mirroring the first scene. And the CG scene was beautiful as well (really killed me that Regis didn't say a word, although it made it even more fucked up. I guess that if he had had a bigger role in flashbacks and such, I wouldn't have needed a single word there, though). When they're inside the crystal and kill him, that was cool too (btw, Noctis using all the Royal Weapons to kill Ardyn really reminded me of AC Cloud).

And that's it. Then you get the campfire scene, which DESTROYS me for two reasons: first of all, because it's really well done (great acting by all of the actors, especially Noctis') and makes the ending even more bittersweet: they manage to bring light back to the world, but there you have Noctis, a guy who's barely 20 and couldn't even have a life at all; second of all, however, because I really needed more scenes like this in the game. What a missed opportunity :/

The Luna and Noctis scene was beautiful too (great design Noct has there too, without the beard and with that kingly attire). The logo transition, and I'm not joking, is one of the most GENIUS things I've seen in a game. Really, really beautiful, surprising and impactful. Also nice workaround in regards to Etro being gone while the logo still makes sense (I honestly hadn't though a single second about it during the entire game).

So yeah, really good ending, the best part BY FAR of the entire game in regards to plot and storytelling, with great acting, nice writing and gorgeous visuals. A shame this is not the standard for the whole game, although luckily, when they got it right was in probably the most important moment. They really needed to nail this, and I think they did.

So, my interpretation of the ending, which I guess has been said countless times: Noctis fulfills his destiny and dies, reuniting with Luna in the after life (I've seen some people saying that scene was mostly Noctis' own final fantasy before dying, which I fucking love even though it's really sad at the same time).

Gladio, Prompto and Ignis wreck those petty Iron Giants and lead the world to a new dawn, rebuilding Insomnia (and the world in general), with the Royal Family being gone for good and Noctis being considered the King of Light forever and ever, being honored in his own castle where he died.

PS: one more thing: WHERE THE FUCK IS MY BOY COR? Seriously, not only they don't feature him in KG (what a shitty bodyguard I tell you), but they also just let him be with you in stupidly early and boring missions to just fuck off forever. Hell, he could have accompanied you (along with Iris, Aranea...) to Insomnia and, I don't know, sacrifice himself in the most cliche way. Even that would have been a better ending for him, he just dissapears.

This is the one of the most glaring problems I have with this game in regards to characters: here's where you can see where they had to cut (Cor, Aldercapt, Verstael...). And to think Cor was (during 2013 and 2014) my most hyped character of the crew (when it was kinda shown he would be a main party member)...

So yeah, same problems and virtues than before, so nothing more to say beyond the fact that it has a fucking great ending that gets it right after a series of wasted opportunities (that are also very apparent in the ending streech itself).

Great game, even greater potential that will never be filled (story-wise, but also some of the game's structure, which is very uneven and, worst of all, apparent in its flaws). I stand by my 9, but I can see people scoring it lower (or even a little higher, if they don't really care about the story). Best news of this is that S-E will finally be able to move on and, you know, do and show new stuff.

Also, Tabata please let use fucking old Noctis, Gladio, Prompto and Ignis as alternative skins in the open world. WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME SUFFER, THEY HAD THE EXACT SAME ANIMATIONS FOR COMBAT, WHY, WHY.

Last edited:

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
Man, i wish they add Hard Mode to the game, i start my lvl 1 walktrough, and even on lvl 1 everything story related is such a cakewalk. I love these base infiltration mission on chapter 5-6, but they are so easy. On lvl 1 i just two-shot all these Angelus robots with simple greatsword :(

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Holy crap... is that implying we were meant to go there and see a story scene there originally?!?

I swear this MUST be patched in.

They've got sooo much material, even more than I thought. I knew this place had a story purpose because it's purpose in the game was too random, unexplained but seemingly very important.

I think it's scrapped content. It's purpose was something related to Noctis after all.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Man, i wish they add Hard Mode to the game, i start my lvl 1 walktrough, and even on lvl 1 everything story related is such a cakewalk. I love these base infiltration mission on chapter 5-6, but they are so easy. On lvl 1 i just two-shot all these Angelus robots with simple greatsword :(
You used food buffs too right?

I remember someone on a forum mentioned challenge ramping on his level 1 run in later parts of the game, theoretically speaking.

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I just triggered a cutscene with Noct and Prompto goig through their relationship referencing brotherhood's eoisode 2.

Christ say you want, but Saori Itamuro deserves an award for fleshing out the dialogue exchange between the chocobros. Loved it.