FFXV early sales reported by Japanese Store Managers

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Original Article by DualSHOCKERS.

Giuseppe Nelva said:
Final Fantasy XV marks the grand return of the Final Fantasy franchise with a mainline title, and if you don’t cound XIII-2 and Lightning Returns (the definition of which as mainline Final Fantasy titles is quite debatable, regardless of what you think of their quality), the Japanese audience didn’t get a new one for a whopping seven yeas.

Due to that, it’s quite understandable that many are seeing the game as a litmus test for the local popularity of the franchise, of the JRPG genre, and even of home consoles as a whole.

While we’ll get more information on Wednesday, December 7th, when the Media Create charts related to this week will be released, we already have early reports from local store managers, that have been writing about the performance of the game in their shops.

Last week, the store manager of the popular Tokyo-based independent store Games Ma-Ya, in the Edogawa district, reported an increase in pre-orders due to the quality of the latest Judgement Diskdemo, that was indeed quite impressive.

Between yesterday’s launch (that attracted a sizable crowd in front of Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara) and today, she has been providing more performance information on her own blog.

She mentioned that the game has been the best seller during both past days (beating Pokémon Sun & Moon, that has been selling like hot ramen lately), and defined it a “hit title.”

During launch day people have been coming into the shop in higher numbers than usual even after the usual slow time at 11:00 AM. During rush hour at 6:00 PM when people go home from work, people have been visiting the store every time the train passed the local station.

In her latest post, she also mentioned that the game has been helping in selling consoles as well.

The manager of PAO, in the Nishitama district of Tokyo, also gave information on the sell-through of the game, mentioning that the game sold a sizable 48% of the initial shipment in its first day, with numbers matching his expectations. He also mentioned that this time the game was released on a Thursday, so it’ll be important to see how the game will do during the usually more busy weekend shopping.

Of course, the final result will be clear next Wednesday, but so far, so good.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I also thought Hillary was doing great during election night.
You know how that ended.

Anyways, joking aside, I think it would be best to wait for official info rather than anecdotal evidence.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I also thought Hillary was doing great during election night.
You know how that ended.

Anyways, joking aside, I think it would be best to wait for official info rather than anecdotal evidence.
*clutches chest and gasps*

... you do have a point. Let's wait and see.

Would be nice if the game ends up selling very well though. I'd be happy for the dev team.

wmlk

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 5, 2014
I'd love for this game to sell well in Japan and surprise people, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. This article mentions how things were improving after the latest demo, but YSO predictions were based on pre-orders and that was after the latest demo.

We'll see.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Pokémon is an anomaly in and of itself lol.

Nothing beats Pokémon. It's in its own category imo xD