FFXV Gameplay Recap

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014
Okay my fellow RPGers, here is everything I know about Final Fantasy XV's gameplay based on what was revealed. Please add something if it is missing.

Controls
(note: Bimpy only cares about the Duel Shock 4 scheme because he isn’t buying an Xbox One anytime soon).
1: Full body movement (note: the slower it’s pressed, the slower Noctis moves).

2: Dash (note: Noctis automatically bypasses obstacles like an experienced free runner during dash. It takes about thirty seconds before his stamina runs out).

3: Choose the direction Noctis will move and look towards.

4: Not confirmed yet.

5: Jump.

6: Warp.

7: Attack (note: hold or press multiple times to commence a rapid flow of strikes).

8: Technique or hold to summon when the condition is right.

9: Select left, right, up, or down for different weapon abilities.

10: Defend (note: hold to continuously guard. When beside certain objects, press defend to cover behind them).

11: Not confirmed.

12: Focus, aka lock on (note: both enemies, objects, and mission points are lock onable).

13: Not confirmed yet.

14: Not confirmed yet.

15: 10 + 12 = Armiger.

16: 12 + 10 = Warp Strike

17: 10 + 5 = Shift Avoid.

18: 5 + 7 = Aerial attack.

19: 10 + 7 (note: press 7 once) = Parry.

20: 10 + 7 + input button + nearby party members who are within proximity of the parry = Co-Op technique (note: the order after parry may change depending on the context. Sometimes there might not even be another button needed).

(note: the English translation is
Ability -> Technique
Guard -> Defending
Assault -> Attacking
Shift -> Warp
Shift Break -> Warp Strike
Break -> Crush
Rush -> Ravage
Slash -> Vanquish
Raid -> Descend
Phantom Sword -> Armiger)
MP Burst -> Stasis

HUD
On the right there are character names, HP bars, MP bars, buffs, ailments, and critical condition warnings.

On the left there are players’ current action, name of weapon ability, its MP cost, and total MP available at the time.

White HP bar: Default HP.
Red HP bar: Amount of HP that recovers spontaneously (note: when revitalizing, the HP comes back white).
Black HP bar: Amount of unrecoverable HP (note: only potions can restore it back to default HP).

A zero red HP character does not imply dead character. Instead they enter an incapacitated state, allowing players one last opportunity to turn the battle around, at the obvious risk of game over should he or she continue to take hits; therefore, idling and drinking potions are the only available actions (note: enemies can hit you out of potion animation). Death ensues when there is zero black HP. Noc’s death triggers game over.

The loss of MP makes the prince’s mobility sluggish as if he is about to faint. He's more vulnerable and susceptible to damage despite how much HP there is. MP can go all the way into the negative zone, which implies it's jammed. Sorry will not work. Think twice before using MP. Be an idiot and suffer.

At the end of a battle, everyone’s HP returns back to default.
Idling
Default HP grows back just by standing still, normal movement, dash, or guard.
Cover
Objects spread here and there act as benevolent architecture. Covering speeds up default HP the fattest without magic or items. The most important aspect about cover is the stealth it brings. For example, at night Niflheimians fly their ships around, but will not drop down if you are hidden from their line of sight. Remember Luminous Studio is able to have AI that understands the level editor. It leads to chase scenes. Tabata should utilize this fact.
Battle Menu
Players can open the battle menu at any given time. I think this is self-explanatory.

Defend

MP depletes upon defending, so spamming its button will punish players. Not all attacks are avoidable though technical moves do exist to help cancel out damage from them; depending on the right context, envision animations occur and those require precise timing.

The entire point of an automated guard is to give players enough time to think what their next action will be while enemies gang bang. There’s more leniency for gamers who aren't experienced with or dislike the nitty–gritty of timing split second blocks, especially when so many other things are going on at the same time. Also take into account the entire 3D environment. A guarding player can circle around enemies. They should look out for openings. Then there’s objects players can use for cover. It’s smart to guard towards them if surrounded because normal movement or dash has no invincibility.

Attack
Press attack once commences a single strike. Press attack twice commences two strikes. Press attack many times from there on commences whatever amount of strikes; the quantity of pressing it results in a basic combo. Remember players can substitute press with hold. The latter seems easier. Neither has risk.

The weaker an enemy appears the stronger the party’s strikes become; Noctis, Gladiolus, Ignis, Prompto, and Cor all deal extra damage.

Larger and stronger enemies tend to have more HP, so toppling them is key to winning. The longer fights drag on the more likely other critters join the fray, especially during night.

If enemies attack from all directions, up, down, forward, back, left, right, vertical, diagonal, horizontal, and etc… then players must position Noctis in spots that allow easy access to blindside attacks. I guess crowd control.

Some enemies can cancel out player’s attacks, so choose which one to fight wisely.
Parry

Three pointy lines shaped like a toothpicks sometimes hovers above stronger advisories, flashing. This indicates the incoming attack is parryable and if not parried then players loose an opportunity for a Co-op attack and receive damage that could have been prevented. Flashy parkour parries occur on larger enemies.

Co-op Attack

Right after a parry, perform one or more specific actions if a party members is nearby to trigger their own attack. Honestly if co-op attacks are someone’s thing then they should set the AI on support Nocctis or attack his target. It should come out naturally. Parry, co-op attack, parry, co-op attack. Bam, bam, bam! It’s also worth noting co-ops attacks can be chained into combos.

Warp
Lock onto objects or an enemy to warp (note: lock on isn't required, but it helps). The terrain is your playground. Warping away to safety speeds up MP rejuvenation. It cost 25 MP to warp. Think of warp as a flash step.
Weapons
Weapons are set up from the weapon menu. Weapons come in their own category, some with unique abilities. The setup is always on default unless players manually change it how they see fit. In the demo’s context, it goes Avenger, Blood Sword, Partisan, Wyvern Spear, and then Zweihander. The weapons come out in this order. By setup I also mean Crush, Ravage, Vanquish, Counter, and Descend.

Crush: The first strike to break an enemy’s stance. It happens the second players begin their combo. Although Avenger is set as Break, it offers nothing ability wise.

Ravage: A flurry of strikes during a combo. By holding down the attack button, players can hit indefinitely until the foe reaches low enough health to receive a finishing blow. Blood Sword drains HP.

Vanquish: The finishing blow. Once the enemy is severely wounded, whatever weapon set on slash comes out to kill them (note: a kill isn't always guaranteed). Heavy weapons set on slash can topple and stagger lager enemies. Partizan has heavy thrust.

Counter: Another name for parry. Wyvern has jump.

Descend: A weapon used for aerial strikes. In other words, jumping and attacking, Zweihander has tempest.

To use these abilities press the ability button. They cost quit bit of MP.

If a player wants a whole new playing style then change the type of weapon and the order it comes in.
Armiger
Noc’s limit breaker. After activating it, MP becomes cost free. If not attacking, the swords form a barrier to deflect damage. When attacking, the barrier disappears as swords start slashing their target one by one at a lighting fast rate. The damage from phantom swords combines with the damage from whatever else Noctis is doing. Another powered up state that Noctis can enter beyond Armiger exist.
Ex Ability
The two ex abilities so far are warp strike and shift avoid. There isn't much word on the latter, while the former allows short distance hits.
Summons
There is an context behind summoning, for example Ramuh requires the player to give up Noc's base HP. Summons are strong enough to one shot even behemoths. The impact of their attack can also decimate the enviroment.

Characters
Gladiolus has the highest HP and a move called brave slash.

Ignis has cure and a move called venom strike, which causes poison.

Prompto has a move called bullet bind, which causes binding.

(note: players can switch Noctis's position with one of chis friends and instruct their AI behavior. The more players level up, the entire party gains tons of new techniques)
Environmental Conditions
1: Weather effect both the terrain and the characters placed on it. For example, an arctic storm would make the ground icy, which in return causes Noctis to slip as he traverses. Another example is for magic. Intense sunlight strengthens the power of fira, therefore using this spell on a grassland would do more harm than good because the grass itself burns. Instead choose to fight during a not so clear day.

2: Final Fantasy XV has entire ecosystems.
Different creatures respond to their own environment and that makes them a bit more self-aware.
Camping

Level up. Eat. Converse. Rest.

The food in the demo provides

Fresh – Slightly increases attack, defense, and EXP gained.
Prime – Greatly increases attack, defense, and EXP gained.
Sharp – Increases critical hit rate.
Immune – Negates status ailments.

Exploration

Just watch different clips. They should speak for themselves. (note: It is confirmed side missions are not mandatory. For example, players do not have to fight Behemoth in order to continue onto the next event. This leaves what, how, and where up to the player).

Geographical features and ecology for seemingly self-aware creatures result in a bidimensional world; one side contains fantastical elements, while the other emulates the experience of venturing through

.The combination of both gives us high quality emotional torque because one, the mundane is easier to relate to, and two, the marvelous just makes people

Things Not In The Demo
Cor
Magic

Weather
Equipment
RHS-113
Puzzles
Chocobos
Bosses
Magitek Armor
Mini games
Story related details
Character arcs
AI menu
New skills
Weapon customization
Different recipes
Different maps
Different towns
Different shops
Different summons
Different dungeons
Tons of loot
Tons of destoryable objects
Zelda-esque mazes
Huge variety of enemies
A full submerged lake
The entire Ducasse region
Difficulty settings
etc...

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Nice thread, the formatting could be fixed up for this forums, I know you posted this on multiple sites, but it looks good so it doesn't matter.

I had to skip over summon spot for spoilers, but everything else is a nice recap. I don't really see you post much content on here like this, so I just wanted to say that it's really appreciated that you take the time to write all of this up.

Great work!

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014
Nice thread, the formatting could be fixed up for this forums, I know you posted this on multiple sites, but it looks good so it doesn't matter.

I had to skip over summon spot for spoilers, but everything else is a nice recap. I don't really see you post much content on here like this, so I just wanted to say that it's really appreciated that you take the time to write all of this up.

Great work!
This is the final version for how gamepaly works. I forget to correct and update the others, so they are really rough drafts. I'm too indecisive.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
good job, very informative.

also was this confirmed on the scan?
"There is an context behind summoning, for example Leviathan requires a large body of water."

would be pretty cool to have a system like that.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
good job, very informative.

also was this confirmed on the scan?
"There is an context behind summoning, for example Leviathan requires a large body of water."

would be pretty cool to have a system like that.
If you want to cut the in game pictures from the scan I can double check. :kefkalol: Trying not to spoil myself.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
If you want to cut the in game pictures from the scan I can double check. :kefkalol: Trying not to spoil myself.
I think the name of the summon is mentioned tho. The Silicone article only reports that:
"various Summoned Beasts from the series will appear in Final Fantasy XV, including ------- , whom you can summon upon meeting certain conditions.
However, Jump also mentions that summoning will be a little different in battle than what we’re used to seeing in past titles."

Anyway, badass parry right here:

Nov 17, 2014
HUD
On the right there are character names, HP bars, MP bars, buffs, ailments, and critical condition warnings.

On the left there are players’ current action, name of weapon ability, its MP cost, and total MP available at the time.
Now that I notice it, there is a redundancy in the MP display. One besides the Ability MP cost, and another below Noctis' HP bar.
Is it really necessary?

Now that I notice it, there is a redundancy in the MP display. One besides the Ability MP cost, and another below Noctis' HP bar.
Is it really necessary?
It's probably a quality of life thing. The MP display on the right is difficult to read, but it helps us obtain information without having to look too far from the HP bar (i.e. trying to dodge while low on health). The one on the left basically does the arithmetic for us so we can focus on other things. I think it's just more comfortable for the player that way.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
It's probably a quality of life thing. The MP display on the right is difficult to read, but it helps us obtain information without having to look too far from the HP bar (i.e. trying to dodge while low on health). The one on the left basically does the arithmetic for us so we can focus on other things. I think it's just more comfortable for the player that way.
Yeah, I think it's nice having it just for the ease of looking at one place to see and not back and forth the screen.

Nov 17, 2014
Yeah, I think it's nice having it just for the ease of looking at one place to see and not back and forth the screen.
Also, after giving it much thought, The MP indicator next to the Ability MP cost (left MP display) would only pop up when a battle ensues. I think the MP indicator below Noct's HP bar (right MP display) is only there for us to check our current MP before engaging in battle. But then again, MP is only used mostly, if not, all the time in battles. Outside the battle, there's not much value in knowing your current MP. Maybe if you just fought a recent battle, then after awhile, Nilfheim soldiers comes out of the blue, then you'd have to know if your MP is full before engaging in battle. IMO I guess it's just that time when the right MP display is useful, or are there other uses for the right MP display? Thoughts?

Noctis Strife

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 22, 2015
Massachusetts
noctis2.jpg I have a odd question I'm hoping someone could clarify? That sword Noct is always shown with, the one with the engine on it or whatever you want to call it? Does anyone know if that's a Phantom Sword or a regular one, or if it even has a name? Just curious.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
View attachment 225 I have a odd question I'm hoping someone could clarify? That sword Noct is always shown with, the one with the engine on it or whatever you want to call it? Does anyone know if that's a Phantom Sword or a regular one, or if it even has a name? Just curious.
I believe it's just one of his regular weapons.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Gotcha. I read somewhere it was his main weapon but then when they showed footage of Duscae he seems to have that red short sword as his main, so I think you might be right, thanks!
I don't believe it's going to be in the demo. Think of this engine sword like Cloud's Buster Sword, he has many weapons throughout the game, but his Buster Sword is the iconic one.