FFXV is the last connection to my old self - The Philosophy of the long wait.

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DailyFillup

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 5, 2015
Manhattan, New York City
Hey guys, super philosophical post, but important topic for those of us who have been following since the Versus XIII days. If I play the game then I for one diminish one of the only shared thought processes of my current self and 2006 self. I explain further here:

Does anyone else have a story like this? I'd love to hear about it! I use a lesson that Final Fantasy has taught us all to conclude the video. Let's cherish these last few months without the game before we finally know what happens, because either way it's been one enjoyable ride! Side note - I just got to meet Takeshi Nozue and Kenji Niki at the art gallery in NYC and it was absolutely glorious, very nice people - extremely generous with their time and attention, incredible artwork on display, and I'm officially very excited to be watching and reviewing Kingsglaive tomorrow.

Aug 13, 2016
I'm assuming we're around the same age. I grew up playing final fantasy games. The dance scene from FFVIII, the sending scene from X, IX's ending and banter, I'd go as far as to call them few of the best things I've experienced in life. "Those who haven't jumped in the final fantasy bandwagon yet are missing out", is something I say all the time. The lore, the original soundtrack, the designs, the universally accepted humour and the profound themes, critiques of organised religion, militarism, corportasim is what makes me come back to the series. FF has the same effect on me as Disney. Except I stopped bothering about the latter when they started making 3D films (not the time to go into details about that).

I admit, this is the first time I've ever been unconfident about a final fantasy title, also the title with the most potential to be the best. Keeping up with this game has been quite the journey. I'm among those who fans call "versus sore fan". I welcomed many changes with a warm heart and strongly opposed *still do* others.

Why do I still bother? Everything I've seen, with the exception to the changes I disagree with, is promising. The dark take on a Shakespeare epic tale, the goth feel, the characters, the banter, the relationships established between characters be it familial, friendship and romance. I also like the soundtrack. So long as I'm a gamer, I will still play final fantasy.

DailyFillup

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 5, 2015
Manhattan, New York City
I'm assuming we're around the same age. I grew up playing final fantasy games. The dance scene from FFVIII, the sending scene from X, IX's ending and banter, I'd go as far as to call them few of the best things I've experienced in life. "Those who haven't jumped in the final fantasy bandwagon yet are missing out", is something I say all the time. The lore, the original soundtrack, the designs, the universally accepted humour and the profound themes, critiques of organised religion, militarism, corportasim is what makes me come back to the series. FF has the same effect on me as Disney. Except I stopped bothering about the latter when they started making 3D films (not the time to go into details about that).

I admit, this is the first time I've ever been unconfident about a final fantasy title, also the title with the most potential to be the best. Keeping up with this game has been quite the journey. I'm among those who fans call "versus sore fan". I welcomed many changes with a warm heart and strongly opposed *still do* others.

Why do I still bother? Everything I've seen, with the exception to the changes I disagree with, is promising. The dark take on a Shakespeare epic tale, the goth feel, the characters, the banter, the relationships established between characters be it familial, friendship and romance. I also like the soundtrack. So long as I'm a gamer, I will still play final fantasy.
Yes it seems we are. And I think you're right, even new fans won't be able to experience the creation of so many universe staples for the series, but they can always go back and play the old games and get enjoyment out of the recognition. The more I see recently, especially that english cast video just released on YouTube, the more confident I get that the same dark tones from Versus XIII are present. And they also hint at that feeling of "love" that is so present in every game being back as well. I have strong feelings about some changes too, or rather, I should say I think that I do, because I haven't experienced the game yet, but since the anime and movie (I actually like the anime even more) I'm connecting to these characters like I thought I would back in the day, if that makes sense.

I agree, some of the best moments I had growing up were experiencing those stories, or sharing them with my close friends...

DailyFillup

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 5, 2015
Manhattan, New York City
Interesting point of view. I can definitely relate.
Thanks Zero, I'm glad others can relate, it's going to be truly strange playing the game and ending this "era", but I think at the end of the day it's for the better. Even though our personal expectations of the emotions we want to feel will be hard to top, this game is looking better than ever, and more similar to Versus XIII than ever, so I saw we go bravely forward.