FFXV Platinum Demo's Combat

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Hi, everyone. I'm just here to share some notes I have about the new FFXV combat showcased in the Platinum Demo. This won't be structured or formatted, but hopefully the info here will still prove useful to some of you guys. I'd also be glad to talk about any other aspects of the combat which I may not have mentioned here.

Going through the Iron Giant fight the first few times wasn't as smooth as I had imagined. It seemed, at first, that you had to commit to every attack, with little opportunity for defending yourself whilst doing so. After experimenting for a bit, I think I sort of have a handle of how the combat works now. It seems that while attacking, you are generally most unsafe while performing Crush, Counter, Vanquish, or certain special moves such as Tempest or the charged Broadsword attack. Ravage attacks, however, are always dodge-cancelable, so this is the state you want to be in if you're ever attacking the Iron Giant while it isn't staggered.

There are two weapons available in this demo. One is the Broadsword, which does high damage and recovers MP. The other is the Airstep Sword, which allows you to perform aerial attacks.

The Broadsword has slow startup and also has a fair bit of recovery. Basically, Noctis goes into a state of recovery should you ever stop attacking with the Broadsword, making him unable to dodge in this period of time. You'll want to use your Ravage attacks most of the time, as well as quickly alternate from attack to defend to avoid Noctis from going into said state of recovery. One thing to note about this state of recovery, however, is that if you press and hold the attack button while Noctis is in it, he'll start charging up an attack. This charged attack can't be interrupted by normal attacks from the Iron Giant and does a ton of damage if allowed to charge fully. If you hold back and attack while locked on, Noctis will perform the Tempest attack from Episode Duscae. It comes out quick, but is also unsafe, so be wary of how you use it.

The Airstep Sword is a fun weapon imo. Directional inputs during Ravage attacks will allow you to move Noctis around while still keeping an offensive, and you can also perform aerial attacks should you ever fancy in doing so. Inputting a direction more than once will make Noctis expend MP to move around even further, which is good if you're trying to move around, but is quite poor for dodging, apart from the backward input. The backward input allows Noctis to attack with a backflip, and this avoids most attacks if timed correctly as it has a few frames of invincibility. The MP version spaces him back even further from his enemy, which is good for escaping, but can also be used to move into aerial attacks should you continue to hold the attack button.

The Iron Giant uses a lot of sweeping attacks using either its Greatsword or its free hand. At times it'll use a unique attack. All of these attacks are highly telegraphed, but not every one is dodgeable by simply holding the defend button.

When Iron Giant emits a purple, spherical vacuum from its hand, you're looking at Graviga (or Gravity? idk). The attack generally doesn't kill, but does damage based on a percentage of your available health, so it can hurt pretty bad. This attack can be interrupted by Noctis' own attacks, and I've done it multiple times during the startup of Graviga. Doing it while Graviga was already out (using warp strikes) was a little less consistent. I'm not sure how one would interrupt it consistently, actually. If you're not trying to interrupt Graviga, simply sprinting or warping away will allow you to avoid being caught in the attack.

Iron Giant slams the ground with its free hand, sending out electricity as a small area of effect on the ground. You can't defend against the electricity, but it can be avoided by jumping, rolling out of the area of effect before it hits, or simply defending against the Iron Giant's fist as it comes down.

Iron Giant does a series of sweeping Greatsword attacks. Easy to dodge by simply holding the defend button.

Iron Giant's grab attack is probably the most annoying one in its arsenal. It's fast, you can't defend against it, and it seems that your dodge roll doesn't put you far enough to avoid it too. Your best bet might be to simply warp away, yet this can be difficult to do if you're using a hard lock-on on the Iron Giant. My alternative to warping is to use the Airstep Sword's backflip, which will avoid the grab cleanly. If you insist on using warp to avoid the grab, however, then don't use the hard lock-on (unless you have the reflexes to turn it off and then warp away).

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015
There are 4 weapons actually, you forgot the shuriken and shield.
They are hidden on top of the Insomnia building.

There are 4 weapons actually, you forgot the shuriken and shield.
They are hidden on top of the Insomnia building.
I can't forget what I don't know about lol. Will check them out. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT:

Gave the weapons a shot! I think the demo became much more fun with access to them. The Cross Shuriken works well with the Airstep Sword's maneuverability, while Broadsword is the perfect followup once you've parried an attack with the Hero's Shield.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I can't forget what I don't know about lol. Will check them out. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT:

Gave the weapons a shot! I think the demo became much more fun with access to them. The Cross Shuriken works well with the Airstep Sword's maneuverability, while Broadsword is the perfect followup once you've parried an attack with the Hero's Shield.
You're really good at figuring out stuff like this and being able to take advantage of the new weapons really fast.

You're really good at figuring out stuff like this and being able to take advantage of the new weapons really fast.
I appreciate the thought, but I didn't do anything special, really. I just found myself struggling with the combat and tried to figure out why that was so. It seems that weapons' directional Ravage attacks are relatively more useful compared to Duscae 2.0. However, Square Enix have also deliberately made defending harder in Platinum Demo, for whatever reason. Personally, I think this may be a conscious design choice in order to further emphasise reliance on weapon abilities, buffs, items, and your party members. This is an, RPG after all. That, or the easier defend canceling in Duscae 2.0 is something you obtain via level progression.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
From our hero, The great Abacus AmiRighta:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/73520737

Greatsword:
Hold analogue away from target = Tempest - Tornado attack with multiple hits
Hold forward = Brave Slash = Lunge forward with heavy attack - closes gap.
Normal swings restore 40 mp per hit.
Can Parry the Boss.
Slow warp.

Longsword
Enhanced aerial combat - manoeuvres in the air cost 10 MP and allow Noctis to do up to 3 normal attacks, before falling. He can stay in the air until his MP runs out.
Hold away from opponent - backflip - hits enemy and evades. On ground, can launch Noctis into the air for combos. In air, he moves back significantly.
Hold towards - short warp strike - closes the gap on ground or air.
Hold side - he will side-step on ground - and warp in air - useful for dodging the boss and keeping air combos going.
Fast Short warp - useful for evading ground punch

Shuriken
Ranged - costs MP
Warp strike is a powerful special attack that will instantly stagger the boss.

Shield
If you block at the moment the boss strikes (not just holding it) it will instantly stagger him.
Hold away and hold attack - charges up for a powerful shield lunge.
Hold forward - a flurry of shield bashes.
I believe this is a work in progress. But it should help figure out how to use some of the abilities.

I gotta say, this demo was not well designed to attract casual fans. If anything, hiding all the depth in the combat is turning people away. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it HAS this depth, I'm just saying this demo is reversing the hype caused by the trailers. Feels like an unforced error. .

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I appreciate the thought, but I didn't do anything special, really. I just found myself struggling with the combat and tried to figure out why that was so. It seems that weapons' directional Ravage attacks are relatively more useful compared to Duscae 2.0. However, Square Enix have also deliberately made defending harder in Platinum Demo, for whatever reason. Personally, I think this may be a conscious design choice in order to further emphasise reliance on weapon abilities, buffs, items, and your party members. This is an, RPG after all. That, or the easier defend canceling in Duscae 2.0 is something you obtain via level progression.
We will see how they plan on handling everything in the final game, I imagine balance is still something they are working on that. Also, I imagine that if they are doing different game modes still that it will also make combat different. I like that using the shield weapon to block really changes up the flow of combat against the Iron Giant allowing you to stagger it. I wonder if they will keep the shield as a standard weapon, or if it's something you will equip separately, but was relegated to a weapon for the sake of the demo, as they were called "sub-weapons" perhaps it's something like an offhand or a way to augment your actions.

Lots of potential we will have to see how they handle it.

I believe this is a work in progress. But it should help figure out how to use some of the abilities.

I gotta say, this demo was not well designed to attract casual fans. If anything, hiding all the depth in the combat is turning people away. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it HAS this depth, I'm just saying this demo is reversing the hype caused by the trailers. Feels like an unforced error. .
I think it's perfect, it doesn't hide the depth, but doesn't make it obvious. This doesn't overwhelm players who are casual, while giving the rewarding aspect of figuring out the secrets and mechanical aspects that are just gone unexplained to those hardcore players who wish to theorize and play around with what the demo has to offer.

I'm glad they did it this way, it's much how the Duscae demo was handled, if anyone has poor reception over the demo, it's because they are likely a midcore player. Someone who isn't a casual, but doesn't like tinkering and pushing what they have to the limits.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I think it's perfect for US. I think it was a poor choice to hook general gamers. This isn't just coming from some cesspool, either. It's the general reaction from the people on a board that makes this one look like gamefaqs. Their complaint is mainly that they aren't interested in looking for the depth. It should be trying to highlight it. It's funny, because I think Duscae would have done a better job here just because of the Ramuh summon because it leaves you with a big punch in the awesome.

I have to agree, when trying to look at it from their perspective. One of them was all hyped up from the trailer one minute, then considering cancelling his preorder after seeing how bland the combat looks at first glance. From a marketing perspective, it shouldn't have been a tech demo. It should have been a showcase.

Sep 26, 2013

That list missed a couple of attacks for the weapons. The shuriken is an aerial weapon just like airstep sword, and the broadsword can execute the charge-up swing from Duscae if you attack, stop, and attack again after a delay. It can deal upwards of 2500 damage to the iron giant at full charge, and is an immaculate follow-up to a warp-strike or magic stagger if you're out of fire spells.

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015
I agree that defending felt a lot better when it was buttoned to L1, maybe they mapped it like this so people wouldn't be pressing defend and attack at the same time?

Omegataco

PSICOM Soldier
Apr 1, 2016
I was messing around with the demo and I managed to trigger an interesting recovery animation that I have not been able to reproduce. It reminds me of Episode Duscae where you could do a recovery if you tapped L1 immediately after getting hit.

I made a video of it:

I performed it by tapping square right before I hit the ground after getting hit in the air by the giant (you can see my defend icon light up).

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I was messing around with the demo and I managed to trigger an interesting recovery animation that I have not been able to reproduce. It reminds me of Episode Duscae where you could do a recovery if you tapped L1 immediately after getting hit.

I made a video of it:

I performed it by tapping square right before I hit the ground after getting hit in the air by the giant (you can see my defend icon light up).
Ah! I will have to try this sometime I'm very familiar with the timing required for this, as I practiced it a lot when making my Duscae video. I didn't even know it was in this demo.

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
@Omegataco + @LeonBlade: just tried to reproduce this myself. If Noctis is struck while he's still airborne, the player can press O and have him recover. Noctis does not regain HP lost, but he'll warp straight back to the Iron Giant to counterattack.

Here's a video showing my attempt (the two recoveries are at 0:36 and 0:39):

Edit: Looks like I didn't read. Interesting that Omegataco pressed "square" while I pressed "circle"; I'm guessing either works? Will have to do a round 2!

Last edited:

Omegataco

PSICOM Soldier
Apr 1, 2016
If you watch my video again, I was actually referring to the warp cartwheel recovery that Noctis performs around the 2 second mark after landing on the ground. I've been trying to reproduce it and I've had no luck. It's really strange.

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
If you watch my video again, I was actually referring to the warp cartwheel recovery that Noctis performs around the 2 second mark after landing on the ground. I've been trying to reproduce it and I've had no luck. It's really strange.
I understand; I tried doing a recovery starting from the ground, got whacked each time for every button on the controller I pressed. My guess is that you pressed Square just in time to do a recovery, but by then, you were already pretty much on the ground, so the animation compensated for it. I will keep testing and see if we can't reproduce your cool maneuver!

Last edited:

Omegataco

PSICOM Soldier
Apr 1, 2016
I've figured it out. That cartwheel trick isn't a recovery per se, but it's actually a way to negate fall damage! You just press square before hitting the ground when falling from a height. Reminds me of rolling to negate fall damage in a Zelda game.

Made a video demonstrating it:

EDIT: You can even hold square right before hitting the ground to perform this, but the window is only a couple of frames wide.

Last edited:

Leopold_Bloom

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 22, 2015

Praise be to, Our Champion, Abacus AmIRighta.
It is said that the list is incomplete only because he has no edit function on Gamefaqs.