Final Fantasy Replay and Discussion: FFVIII

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
One of the best lines in the game, haha.

This guy doing press ups is also a legend XD

Some pics of Diablos for @Leon Aether. Couldn't get many good ones of him really, since the fight was over quickly and I've set camera movement to none, so probably couldn't get more close up shots because of that. Could take some of him being summoned, though.

Above is my party after the battle with him, which shows the LVs I was at when I fought him. As you can see, pretty low LVs. Just Blind him and Limit Break him. Easy. In FF8 it's the Junctions which determine how strong you are, not the LVs, so you can take on anything if you just have the right Junctions with good magic. I'll have to screenshot my set up before taking on the boss at the end of Disc 1 to show what my Junctions are like, but basically I've got 100 Tornados on Str, which makes all the difference. Now that I've got Meltdowns, Tornados on Str-J and high level magic on HP-J, the rest of the game is gonna be a walk in the park.

And yep, for the first time ever, I've got Lionheart on Disc 1!

I'm now in Deling City doing the assassination mission, and won't be able to test Lionheart out until the boss at the end of it. Whenever I do get Lionheart's limit for the first time, will screen it.

So yeah, under 10 hours and I got Lionheart. Thought it would be longer, but it actually didn't take all that long. So long as you're good and quick at cards, you only need a few hours playing it, and the other stuff is done inbetween carrying on with the story anyway, so it's actually really easy to achieve. Had to LV up a little bit to get Ifrit to LV10 to unlock his Ammo-RF ability. Even without Lionheart the game would have been a piece of cake because of my Junctions, but now it's gonna be even easier lol.

Update:
Okay, onto Disc 2 now. I walked through Seifer and Edea in seconds. The problem is, my attacks are so strong, they end up dead before I even get to see Lion Heart, so I've still yet to see it lol. The below were my party stats right before facing Seifer and Edea at the end of Disc 1.

Last edited:

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
This kinda motivates me to attempt the Lionheart on disc 1 as well.
Go for it! It's just a matter of being patient with the card game and the rest is easy. I could write up a quick and easy guide if you wanted.

But even if you didn't get Lion Heart but instead just abused the card game a bit to get high level magic, you will still be overpowered. Like I say, I'm just walking through it without even using the Lion Heart limit break. So playing cards is worth it either way.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I checked out a guide that tells me everything. Beating Cid for 20 cards, refining them with ifrits ammo refine. 4 dragon fangs from enemies that MUST be under lvl 20 <- this one worries me a bit as I just love battles. I've been carding every random encounter so far though so as long as it continues to let me card my way out I will be fine.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
Good news!! I found out I could backup my entire vita memory card so I reset it and used my original PSP account (that I bought FFVIII on). Now I can play it wherever I want. Plus this means good screenshots. Now the Lionheart doesnt sound so bad.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Good job Azuardo! Just great! I will definitely grab my Lionheart when I'll play VIII again!
It's really nice learning new ways of gameplay for these classic games!

How about battles? Do you both use GF mostly or simple Attacks? What are your favorite GFs of this entry?

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I never use GFs. Attack, attack, attack. When you're inflicting 2000 damage with a single strike, there's just no point to GFs lol.

Fave GFs, though... I'd probably say Bahamut and Ifrit in this one.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
So, anyone still playing FF8? :p

I zipped way ahead when I was playing during the time this thread was active, but my game kept locking up at a specific spot on my PSP at the Lunar Base, so I stopped, sadly. Might try and see if I can get around it again at some point, but too many other games going on atm.

I think I have a crapload of screenies I took during my playthrough too, haha.

Perhaps some Lightning Returns and FFX HD playthrough threads will be great to start up when they both come out in the West! We'll have to use spoilers a lot (and I know some have already played the JP versions, but I've stayed well clear of such discussions), but I would be very interested in discussing both games with people here once we get hold of the Western versions.