Final Fantasy V and VI on 3DS/Vita

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

TRI Mike

ShinRa SOLDIER
The DS saw some nice remakes to FFIII and IV and ever since I played those, I've been wondering if Squeenix will ever remake V and VI. To me, those two are the best games from the 2D era, improving the gameplay (in V), story and characters (in VI) over the first games. Still, years pass by and we're yet to see remakes to those games.

I'd like for Squeenix to make 3D versions of the titles taking advantage of either the 3D effects on Nintendo's handheld or the excellent graphics the Vita is capable of. It'd be an instant buy for me. Though I like FFIV a lot, I think it's unfair how much attention Square gives to the game while leaving V and VI in the shadows.

What do you guys think¿

Unfortunately, Square isn't sensible and will very likely never bother doing it at least anytime soon. The new iOS versions exist.

3D remakes would definitely have been the more preferable route to take as opposed to what Matrix have currently done/is doing with FFV and FFVI for iOS. Even with the unappealing sprite reworks put aside, the ports on the whole seem to sing the song of negligible effort. Yet for whatever reason, instead of giving FFV and FFVI as much treatment as was given to FFIII and FFIV, Square has commissioned Matrix to remake The After Years instead. I know no one who has ever asked for that game to be remade. Good going, Square.

Just a quick disclaimer, I'm not opposed to Square supporting mobile, and I have supported a couple of their games, BUT ONLY IF the efforts are good and aren't All The Bravest crap, but I do understand the pain of seeing things drop in the iOS bucket, but with the dedicated handhelds being increasingly shunned.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Well, there are still a few reasons why it's possible for something like this to happen:

- Matrix is still in the fold.
- They just did a 3D remake of Final Fantasy VI: The After Years (admittedly this was probably easy for them considering The After Years is their game).
- What's next for them after Final Fantasy VI for mobiles? They are kind of out of things to turn to, if the Final Fantasy Legacy project intends to keeps chugging on.

Sep 26, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if a FFVI 3D remake was in development at one point and then canceled.

I'd like for Squeenix to make 3D versions of the titles taking advantage of either the 3D effects on Nintendo's handheld or the excellent graphics the Vita is capable of.
If Square Enix cared about the PSVita, you would have seen Final Fantasy Type-0 on it a long time ago. Not releasing that game on it suggests that they're not going to give the handheld much support. If you see it on the handheld one day, you can thank Sony.

As for 3DS... You should probably hope that Bravely Default puts up some strong numbers. Square Enix wasn't willing to localize this game until Nintendo stepped in and did it for them.

Last edited:

TRI Mike

ShinRa SOLDIER
Well I for one am getting Bravely Default at launch. The demo feels very FFV-ish to me so I'm crossing my fingers for them to remake FFV and VI on any of the handhelds. Like I said, any of the portable ones would be more than welcome. I just don't wanna see my favorite 2D FF games get no attention at all.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I'm personally not a huge fan of the 3D remakes of 3 & 4 visually, and would rather just a straight port. The PS1 versions work on Vita, but the music on that isn't perfect and there's awful load times. Another straight port would be very welcome, though.

TRI Mike

ShinRa SOLDIER
As far as I'm concerned, the PSN version of FFV has this save glitch that was present in the original PSOne disc. I played a bit of it on my PS3 and PSP and didn't encounter the glitch but I've read several reports about it actually happening. So I can't trust that version, especially with a 30+ hours game. FFVI is fine though.

Kaimi

Yevonite
Oct 10, 2013
Poland
This image gave me cancer:
Seriously, that's the worst battle HUD for a sideview battle system I saw ever. RPG Maker games tend to have better.

Let's compare!

1) Not sure why there are four separate command menus in this new version - unless they're designing it for multiple fingers to tap in multiple characters' commands at once to save a little bit of time...if that even works. EDIT: Oh I see. I suppose it would save a player from having to tap the skip turn button if they wish to cycle through characters.

2) Ack. Not liking the chibi sprites in the HUD instead of the character's names. Now we are blessed with the sight of these sprites showing up on screen twice! One look at the Biggs and Wedge sprites above their menus definitely makes me think of a small, indie RPG project.

3) I suppose the (cartoony-looking) HD backgrounds look alright...

4) ...except for the fact that they invaded Narshe at night. That doesn't look like night. It looks like the Empire has walked in during lunchtime. The brightness is absurdly off.

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Do not want, ever, ever. I'll stick to FF6 Advance, thanks. (how about a 3DS VC release?) Best version these days, even with its slightly assy music. Better translation, slightly sharpened visuals, no PS1 load times. Shame about the music.

Sioux

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Rosebud, SD
I've never had the pleasure to have played FF V or VI on the GBA. Those were the years I gave up on Nintendo due to the fact I couldn't bring my super teams of Pokemon from Gold to Ruby and Sapphire. But, anyways, I hope they make a remake of V and VI on the 3DS. It would definitely add a continued boost to the sales Nintendo needs right now(well, probably not needs but wants).

I've only played FFV on the PS3 and I enjoyed it. I didn't finish it but I liked it. I marathoned right through VI once a couple years back and loved it but, I would like a slower experience now. It did come with the V and VI packs from the Playstation store but I didn't get a chance to start it before I moved and now Pokemon controls my life again.