Final Fantasy V appreciation thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

TRI Mike

ShinRa SOLDIER
Ever since I played the 2D games, I've noticed that Square-Enix seems to pay little to no attention to FFV. A game that, in my opinion, is one of the strongest not only in the franchise, but the entire JRPG genre of the era. FFV had a simple story and characters but the battle system is still considered very deep and the options for building your party are huge, even though you only get four members in it.

Even today, one of Bravely Default's selling points is the ability to allow a job to use the skills of another one. This was present in FFV way back in the SNES and to me, that's priceless. Still, the developers and FF comunity in general seem to overlook FFV to pay more attention to the first game, FFVI and especially FFIV.

So, let's have a thread to discuss FFV. Share your thoughts on it, your experiences and how badass Bartz is for not only saving the world, but doing it along three hot chicks.

Keriaku

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 26, 2013
I find it interesting, since it seems like Final Fantasy V embodies much of what makes up the Final Fantasy DNA in the creator's minds.

Specifically in Final Fantasy XIII-2 I see a fair amount of story influence form V with a heavy focus on the Void, a village lost in time (Oerba) and someone coming from another world on a meteor.

And look at Final Fantasy Dimensions, a new version of the SNES era FFs. It is pretty similar to FFV with new characters and a new world.

gaiages

:<
Site Staff
Sep 26, 2013
Florida
It was a good game, but it deserves being less know to other FFs, because of the poor story and blank characters.
I do feel that, at the least, the re-translation for the GBA remake helps that a bit. The characters have a bit more personality to them, and on the whole the story is a lot more light-hearted... of course, that doesn't stop the game's plot from being bland overall, but it's really a step up from the lackluster PS1 translation.

Anyway, I love FFV (probably second favorite), mostly because of the awesomely customizable job class system. The fact that Bravely Default brings back that job system is what makes me so excited for it :3

Nikolasvanitas

Chocobo Knight
Sep 27, 2013
Greece
www.youtube.com
I havent finished FFV(I intend to finish it one day) but I really like the ability to choose different roles and mix abilities for not one but four members,it was great and I look forward to see if Bravely Default is indeed its spiritual successor

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
One of the best in the series. Incredibly underrated. I remember being utterly blown away by the sort of mid-section of the game where everything changes. Faris also may be one of my most favourite female leads. She's just cool.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I'm currently playing Final Fantasy V oddly enough. Enjoying it thus far. I'm really digging the mix-n-match of the Job System. It slightly overshadows the monotony of grinding for ability points.

Nov 29, 2013
Even though it had interesting gameplay, FFV was actually one of the more disliked FF games in the franchise for its apparently terrible story. It was simple, but I enjoyed it. Bravely Default's job system does do the game justice though, so all is well.