1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Discussion' started by Wazi the pa, Jun 15, 2015.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

?

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2015.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

Note that, even though this is obviously sign that things are obviously really deep in production, this doesn't mean that the game is releasing anytime soon: afaik, every game has a different schedule in regards to voice recording and I wouldn't be surprised if, given that they've had a script for a while now, they want to get it represented as soon as possible while working on the gameplay itself.

Especially because Part 1 has to create the bulk of gameplay systems and visuals for the remaining episodes, and also because they need to, before comitting to it, have a solid enough roadwork for the next episodes, so that the experience feels tight, well-thought and balanced.

I like the part of Cloud being different compared to his AC persona (fuck AC and fuck mopey Cloud -as it's not only found in AC, but also in KH or Dissidia-). Worried about the wing thing, though: hopefully they tone down that disgrace known as Genesis and Angeal (Tetsuboy, if you wanna include them in some form, here's an idea: make them optional!).

2. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Chocobo Knight

Optional party members replacing Vincent and Yuffie.

3. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

Or better yet: optional mentions (and no more than that)!

I'm curious to see if Vincent (especially him) and Yuffie get more screentime in the main plot, considering they're going to be mandatory party members now.

4. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

I wonder if they will include multiple dubs like XV?.

5. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

You'd think so, considering their latest games, even big ones (namely, XV).

Unless your name is Nintendo, it seems as if more companies are seeing how requested this is (and how -relatively- simple it is to make happen). Even Atlus is doing so with Persona 5, although I feel that that's more of a "gift" due to the delay.

6. Storm

Storm AVALANCHE Warrior

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/834306149096632321

"Kitase talked briefly about this FFVII Remake visual. He will leave the meaning behind Sephiroth's wing (not in original) to our imagination"

FFVII Advent Children confirmed as additional playable content in the remake.

called it first.

7. coffee-san

coffee-san Red Wings Commander

I wouldn't worry about the wing too much honestly, it's never really had much narrative significance to FFVII other than being a visual metaphor.

Tornak likes this.
  8. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

I hope you're right, because I find it tacky as fuck even when it's only used as imagery. If you add the whole Genesis and Angeal plot to the mix, well... It also kind of diminishes Sephirot's transformations during the later streeches of the game.

But it'd be foolish to think that the whole relationship between Cloud and Sephirot isn't going to be heavily expanded (we've already seen how a Shin-Ra soldier seems to know who Cloud is, provoking him this headache), as well as the latter's background. Hopefully, the broader strokes are still the same, and the new things are just minimal and coherent.

I'm all for fleshing out the game's plot and world, though. After all, this is a remake that, apart from that, is structured in different parts.

9. xXShuyaXx

xXShuyaXx Clan Centurio Member

What's wrong with Angeal and Genesis?

10. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

I consider them (Genesis mainly; I have less problems with Angeal) to be unnecessary additions to Sephirot's background that, in turn, diminish the original story and make it too convulted. Too many characters with strenghts unparalleled, with "muh dark wings" that emerge out of nowhere and have no consequence to the world in reality.

My beef is mainly with Genesis: cringey name and surname, pandering design (literally a J-Pop star, which is alright, mind you, but it feels like Nomura wanting to have an artist he's a fan of have a self-insert. The design is alright beyond that) and incredibly embarrasing scenes. I know it's the normal thing to hate by now, but the LOVELESS scenes, like the character himself, are so corny and pretentious.

Zack's story with Cloud and Sephirot should have been enough to fill CC, so these new characters also detract from that. It makes something that I consider should be simple enough to be needlesly convulted (which is not to say that the story is hard to follow, by any means -although I last played CC when it came out, so I don't really remember a lot of it-).

I get that this all sound like me crying "not muh FF VII", but seeing these guys you had no idea even existed (because they obviously didn't) play such big parts in such big moments in these characters' lives feel tacky and fan-fictiony in execution, almost. I guess it's the problem with prequels based on very specific characters and events.

Sorry if I don't seem very articulate or elaborate good points, but I'm tired as fuck tonight and it's been ages since I last played the game, so I'm just going by what I remember initially disliking of the character and game in general (if I played it today, I might even like some parts I originally dismissed; or maybe hate even more :happymog:).

Azuardo likes this.
  11. xXShuyaXx

xXShuyaXx Clan Centurio Member

Well to each to their own. I liked both of them.

12. BladeRunner

tbh I think everyone should get over Genesis and Angeal being canonized in the remake now or you're gonna suffer a lot later. Though I doubt their presence will be too big since they're both "unavailable" during the events of FFVII.

coffee-san likes this.
  13. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

And that's fine!

Unfortunately for me, I didn't like a single piece of the Compilation as FF VII-related product. I enjoyed watching AC because it was, back then, really spectacular (and it's still impressive from a combat standpoint), but I didn't care for it as a sequel. Same for CC.

I guess I'm also soured by Cloud's demeanour in other games such as Dissidia and KH, where they took the whole darkness thing too seriously and made him different to what he was at the beginning of FF VII (which, surely, would make sense as it wasn't really him, in a way) or at its end.

Yeah. I mean, I don't have huge problems provided they handle it well. But I have my doubts regarding Nomura and Nojima.

The fact that they're canon can't be dispusted, even if they don't appear in the remake. Let's see what part they take if they do. I can see them being some sort of secret bosses tbh.

Azuardo likes this.
  14. coffee-san

coffee-san Red Wings Commander

If anything, I like the wing because it gives more credence to the OWA concept. I always felt that the concept was pretty lost in FFVII as Safer Sephiroth technically has 7 wings if you don't just count his arm.

The Jenova/Sephiroth transformations are in their own category, so I wouldn't say that Jenova/Sephiroth having the wing at any point diminishes them. Besides, for all we know, we might never see one winged Sephiroth until the 1v1 with Cloud.

Tornak likes this.
  15. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

Nomura confirms FF VII Remake combat system to be action-based, not command-based, from Neogaf's raven777 and Exentryk.

I hope they can show the game more soon. The PSX trailer was really cool, but I want something less quick and with less transitions, explaining the system in detail.

I guess they could always show a bit of Sector 7's bombing without too much problem, considering it seems quite advanced (as should be, it being what they've shown so far and the beginning of the game) and they had a video according to Nomura.​

16. BladeRunner

I'm glad we got official confirmation on the combat. Of course it was fairly obvious ever since the first gameplay snippets but seeing the ATB bar in the recent screenshots threw me off a bit. Considering it's a Nomura game, I'm expecting the combat to be mostly reminiscent of KH, which is a good thing, provided they take inspiration from the right parts. I just hope they don't pull FFXV on us and make Cloud the only playable character. This would seriously sour me on the game.

While I don't mind it being action, I won't hide that my perfect FF7 remake would derive from a vastly different approach, much closer to a remaster than a total reimagining. It would feature 3D environments with modern graphics but with fixed perspectives like in the original, a quality localization that does justice to the game's story and heavily revamped combat that is still based on the same core system. A well balanced turn based system with good encounter design and tactical depth. Unfortunately Square was never particularly good at designing deep turn based systems so that dream never had a chance anyway. In the end going action was probably the better option here since it'll play more to their main strength which is making a flashy spectacle.

Anyway I hope they show something new soon (Tifa? please?)

17. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

I'm very interested in seeing Tifa, too. I hope they take the best from both her VII and AC designs, so long as they keep her dolphin ponytail and her original colour scheme and waitress theme (while making it more practical, realistic and less pandering). The AC design is alright, I guess, but I find the outfit and hair too boring (the face was alright, but I genuinely believe that these characters look better the less realistic the approach is).

We've already seen Aerith, the one I was less interested in (as she's one of the easiest one to mentally picture, and her design has been relatively consistent throughout the series, much like Vincent's): [​IMG]

Also, Red XIII. He has potential to look quite nice, with the fur and what not. Now, the one I really want to see is fucking Cait Sith.

PS: I hope we can take Barrett's shades off. He looks great with them, but I'd prefer if he didn't have them. Nomura's new take on him is pretty good, otherwise.

18. yeah_93

yeah_93 AVALANCHE Warrior

Can't wait until 2020.

19. BladeRunner

Judging from the characters revealed so far, the designs seem mostly faithful to the originals, just with some added details. So I wouldn't expect Tifa to change drastically. And personally, I'm not a fan of her AC outfit. The only thing it has going for it is being less pandering, but honestly I don't think Tifa's design was that heavily pandering in the first place, it was literally just a tank top and a skirt. I've seen far worse, even in this series. That outfit is just so boring and that apron with the ass-cape look dumb. Drab color scheme doesn't help, and I'm not even one of those people who demand everything to be colorful. All black designs can work very well (like in Nier) but here it just has no purpose other than Nomura going through a phase and making every character wear black. I expect the new design to be mostly in line with the original only with some small changes (like maybe covering her midriff or replacing the skirt with shorts).

The one character I actually want to undergo a bigger change is Yuffie. Her original design just has all that weird looking stuff, like that arm thing. What even is this? It just makes her look like she has a huge deformed arm. And that leg metal thing with straps and a single stocking.

[​IMG]
    I actually prefer all of her redesigns because they get rid of that stuff.

20. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

I personally would like Yuffie redesign to be something closer to her KH1design:
    [​IMG]

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!