Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
I think when the final product comes out more people will realize this is better for the game then they probably initially thought. The original script needs a lot of work considering all the problems with it. Overall, the game will be a lot better than the original based on story alone. There will always be purists, but that's just how the world works.
As somebody that didn't enjoy VII nearly as much as some of the other mainline titles I played, I have nothing to lose. I do agree with you that there is a lot that can be improved, but the backlash is probably going to be really loud on the internet.

Hyperion

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Mar 8, 2018
Original FFVII with just better graphics and voice acting; nothing else. So in the end this will be another FFXV situation, except not as bad because at least the comparison will be done with an actual product this go around.
Yeah, but if they want a 1:1 remake with nothing else, what's the point? They may as well just upscale the hell out of everything with a new VA pack, throw it on Steam or the PSN store and call it a day. Fans would be better off playing the modded versions of the original game if that's how they're going into this, because they've said time and again that not only would there be no point in making it exactly the same as the original, they now have the resources to touch on things they may not have been able to back in 97. They want it to be its own thing, even though it's largely going to remain true to the original.

FFXV didn't have the luxury of it being a classic game back in the day that's close to everyone's hearts, so it was newer ground and circumstances occurred. Would I like it to remain true? Sure. But I don't want the exact same thing with a new coat of paint, that's boring. That's why Square is taking both perspectives into account because BOTH perspectives (Exact Original vs. Slight Changes) are equally as important and as valid, and it's not easy. Had this been any other FF game, it would've already been on the way to the shelves, but this is different.

People want it to be the exact same as the original, but it's not going to be that. It never was, and the sooner people understand that, the better. If they made it the exact same, the microscope would've been even bigger, rather than the fans just taking this for what it is - a redone retelling with some scenario changes and more room for explanation and plot. I'm not saying they should change the shit with Aerith and whatnot, but if they tell the story in a slightly different way so there's something fresh and new for both old and new fans, I don't see the harm in that.

This is why people should've thought about what would come with a remake when they were bugging Square Enix for it. The rose-tinted glasses and nostalgia is going to kill the game before it even reaches shelves, that's why they're taking so long. Folks didn't want the game to be split up into parts, but want the game out tomorrow. Folks crucified XV for coming out prematurely, but still want to complain about 7R not dropping till 2020. Square fucked a lot of things up in the past, but they're not the only ones who didn't learn their lessons. The fans didn't either, because the debacle of XV should've been more than enough to make people chill out. And for some, they are chill. But I think for the most part, it's Versus XIII on both sides -- rinse and repeat.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
People want it to be the exact same as the original, but it's not going to be that. It never was, and the sooner people understand that, the better.
For many, it's beyond the point of understanding. Simply put they have a "don't care" mentality. The same applies to FFXV. Many do not care what the intentions of developers are. Many do not care what would be beyond limitations. Many do not care about whatever chaos took place in the background. The only thing such individuals care about is the end product.

Hyperion

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Mar 8, 2018
For many, it's beyond the point of understanding. Simply put they have a "don't care" mentality. The same applies to FFXV. Many do not care what the intentions of developers are. Many do not care what would be beyond limitations. Many do not care about whatever chaos took place in the background. The only thing such individuals care about is the end product.
And that's when the critique with the developers need to stop, and a deeper dive with the fanbase as a whole needs to start, because if we're not even caring about the rigmarole behind the scenes and how difficult everything was just to get the game out the door... We're being ungrateful. Now if the work is trash, then that's something they gotta answer to, I don't think we should accept garbage. But these people are human at the end of the day, and when people put the entirety of XV's outcome on Tabata, that's whack as fuck. Because while sure, the game isn't perfect, if he hadn't taken over, we would've never gotten the game at all. And I'm not gonna reject a good video game just because creative differences are a thing, the only reason it's an issue is because the game was announced way before the game could actually drop. Had XV had just been announced in 2015, even with the removed cutscenes, it wouldn't have been a bigger deal in the grand scheme of things compared to now.

FF7, I can only hope that it comes out amazingly well and that they nail everything. I'm just being optimistic. If it's trash, then I'll acknowledge it fully. But if I had the choice between having the game come out in July vs. 2020 and it being what every Final Fantasy fan could've wished for and more, I'd rather wait. Cause it's clear that Square knows how serious it is, that's why they're always saying things like "Surpass the quality" and "new vision". And I wanna see if they can do it.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Development time isn't the problem. It's announcement scheduling. If Square-Enix only announced games when they were near completion they wouldn't be suffering from continuous fan backlash. They're getting better at it, but there's still a lot of work to do. With what Tabata did with XV and Yoshida did with XIV, I'm willing to believe that VII:RE and KH III will be the last of the premature announcement titles. Anything beyond that will only have announcement windows within a feasible release window for consumers. Meaning there shouldn't be an announcement regarding XVI this year at all. Not if Square-Enix wants to maintain the remains of their goodwill. I believe the next hurdle will be finding a balance between what westerners want in Final Fantasy and what natives want. Especially with the recent misgiving regarding the "alternative endings" for XV. That's another topic for a different thread, however.

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
I'm not too fussed when it comes out, as long as they nail it. I really hope we get a good meaty video of it at E3 though. I don't mind lengthy production times so long as we get updates more regularly than every few years...

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
https://www.vg247.com/2018/05/09/walmart-canada-games-listings-borderlands-3-just-cause-4-others/
Walmart Canada's come up with a load of pre-orders for multiple titles. Someone caught a screenshot of the page. And aside from some expected, unexpected and unusual stuff, there's a listing on there for Final Fantasy VII Remake...on Xbox One.

Now this is just a listing, and we've seen listings turn out to be so much moonshine, but it's also possible we're going to be seeing another confirmed platform in the near future for everyone's favourite Versus XIII wannabe.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Considering all the money they've sunk into the remake at this point a multiplat release makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if that part of the leak ended up being true.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
I think it makes sense for them to do that - I would say though that it'll be a PS4 timed exclusive.
While it does make sense, they don't HAVE to do it. The PS4 and PS4 Pro sales in combination are really good. Even if a 1/10 of those users get the title, I feel that'd be enough to turn profit. That is assuming though that the game doesn't end up being a next gen game.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
That is if they don't drop current gen altogether for next gen with all parts, wouldn't feel happy if that was the case.

Feb 18, 2018
The clickbait lmao, that was just a joke from Kitase.

"Kitase then signs us off by making the joke previously mentioned in the thread, saying he wishes to keep on polishing up the game for the 35th anniversary, to which they all laugh and Hamaguchi responds objectingly "Hey that's a long ways off!"
He then however, also goes on to say that a lot is hanging on the next (presumably big) event, and that they're hoping to show off (the game) by then."