Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Has SE ever outright said they were having trouble developing a game before? If not, then I don't think they'd be too keen to let the public know they're facing difficulties for fear of backlash.
Square-Enix (or some important devs of a respective game) has explained in very low key postmortems (mainly via interviews) their difficulties when developing [insert game] but usually tends to be years after it releases.
Although FFXIV & FFXV would be first games where S.E has been more or less very open about having difficulties developing them.

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016
Does that guy have any sources with that info?.
He hardly ever provides sources. His information seemingly come out of nowhere most of the time. But most of the time it's genuine.

Though it's exactly as I said, a long distance relationship never really works out, specially if you need to communicate fairly often.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Maybe now CC2 can work on a .Hack remake collection instead. The games really need to be brought into the modern era with a remake/remaster.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
i don't think that's enough reason to say that, but yeah it's taking long to get this shit done; 2 years and we know basically nothing about the project.

if they pass this E3 i'll begin to get worried, we might be in another Versus XIII situation, except this time i won't stick around for the long ride.
It feels like to me SE didn't learn anything from Versus XIII/XV by announcing it way too soon.

Has SE ever outright said they were having trouble developing a game before? If not, then I don't think they'd be too keen to let the public know they're facing difficulties for fear of backlash.

@T.O.T no you're not the only one. It's like you said, don't mean to be negative but Nomura directed games have been delayed a lot so it's understandable. There's lack of confidence there in my eyes.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. If they wow us at E3 then I'd be happy with that.
Indeed. I'd like to be proven wrong as well. With KHIII and FFVII:R being imo on the same tier of importance as FFXV, I just want those titles to come out in a reasonable time span. Those games can be big Ws for the RPG genre just in general. Not every smaller IP RPG series is going to be able to benefit from having a dedicated fandom/cult following such as the Persona series or Nier series.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
It feels like to me SE didn't learn anything from Versus XIII/XV by announcing it way too soon
I see what you mean. I think they learned.. but only when it comes to FFXV itself. So the team responsible for FFXV learned, but maybe not the other departments in the company.

For example, Episode Prompto. They still haven't given us any info and are holding their cards close to their chest. So if they changed anything for this during development time, we don't know about it, and therefore we can't complain.

Yeah they did announce the game too early. For now, all we can do is patiently wait and hope to be very pleasantly surprised during the upcoming E3 event.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
If the team is working at capacity, SE will need to bring on additional resources to help with development. This is like project management 101. There's nothing else to be gleaned from this news, unless you're a developer based in Japan and want a job.

I did notice that the posting listed a flat hierarchy as one of its points. Wonder how much BD2 had to do with this..?

Vallen

Forest Owl
Mar 4, 2018
So we prepare ourselves....for the sixteenth coming.
Yeah lol. But you know what I find scary? It's that as you get older, time flies by quicker. I can't believe this remake got announced at E3 2015, and in a few short months it will be 3-years since then... yet to me it doesn't feel that long ago. The whole idea that it might be on the PS5 is not that farfetch'd because I know 2020 will come quite quickly. Which is insane how fast the years are going by.

Last edited:
Anyone want to take up bets on the public re-reveal of the project?
I think it's going to be either a) after Kingdom Hearts III has come out or b) shortly before release. I'm hedging my bets on the latter to be honest because I'm sure they want to keep tight about how it'll look and play until it's finalized.

Also, and this might just be a weird hunch I'm having, I think they're going to drop the open world everyone seems eager to get and, by extension, the "episodic" concept.

Whether or not the game will surpass the original will be solely left to the eyes of the public. Sure, they can AIM for it and rightly so, but making such lofty promises before we have seen much of the finished product will only create an atmosphere of hype and the inevitable toxicity that follows - like we have seen with XIII and like we see with XV now.

A little humility goes a long way and would be good for Square Enix is all I'm saying.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
IMO real problem is not about making lofty promises to the public, the problem is the public inability to judge a piece work under its own merits rather than some marketing stunt hype.

IMO real problem is not about making lofty promises to the public, the problem is the public inability to judge a piece work under its own merits rather than some marketing stunt hype.
I agree and disagree with that statement at the same time.

The thing is, those lofty promises or marketing stunt hypes are made to do one thing: Sell the product. The bigger the better and we all remember people posting about how important and impactful FF XV was going to be before it came out. Not after the fact. BEFORE. Because the promises and the hype are more important than anything to the ever-important first-day sales and preorders.

Add to that the circumstance that Square Enix has now a history of rather lengthy and public development issues (starting as far back as XIII, which in and of itself fell prey to the overambition brought by the Fabula Nova Crystallis) and an utterly toxic fanbase that loves to talk at lenght already about a game from which we have seen very little and words like these are akin to the oil, which proverbially attempts to extinguish the fire but ends up spreading and fanning it.

Humility goes a long way and we've seen this in the fairly positive reception that SE's games that got less of a hype machine behind them received as of recent, like NieR: Automata, as well as the upcoming Octopath Traveler and Dragon Quest XI. I don't really see Square Enix making statements such as these regarding those games and I feel they come off more welcoming as a result.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
They really shouldn't have announced this game so early before it was actually ready. Again, Final Fantasy XVI shouldn't be announced until its confirmed internally to be a year out from release.
Sadly I feel this mistake will continue to be made.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I really think they didn't see the CC2 drop happening initially, i'd like to believe nothing more than that will happen for the project's lifetime.