Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Coming to PS4)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
As far as I remember, the Red Mage (or however is called in IZJS) is a terrible job but only during the high level stuf (Mark V-VII hunts or anything above level 45)

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Red Mage is one of the best jobs for a Weak Mode run due to exclusive use of the Death spell, and it's great for the low levels, but overall I'd agree. It's not useless end-game, though. It can do some decent heals with black masks and darkga.

The worst job, IMO, is the Time Mage. Despite semi-exclusive exclusive rights to haste, hastega, reflect and reflectga (machinsts can unlock these with zodiacs) and float, it's the easiest class to leave behind. It uses plate armor, so it suffers from some major MP issues and really doesn't bring anything unique to the table anywhere else. You can also replace these spells prior to a trial mode run by completing the beast hunts and purchasing motes at the clan vendor.

Bites the dust

Balamb Garden Freshman
Apr 14, 2015
The job system was the only thing I had a problem with in the international version of the game. I have been saying for a long time that if they ever did remake the international version, I hoped that they would add in an option when you start the game to choose which license system you want to use. Although I realize that they most likely wont give us this option, I can still hope.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
You best hope would be them adding an option to change classes. This game really could use that option.

Putting aside technical and balance issues, I'm pretty sure the job system would have been the only option anyway, though. I think it would have even the wise decision, that is.

I'm certainly sympathetic, because at this point, I've played the game enough that I'd love the chance to take the rest of the IZJS changes and see what kind of new path I could create for myself, but its openness was a detriment when all is said and done.

It's weird that the option with the fewest restrictions is the option with the fewest ways to play. There was never any reason to bring in different characters for different situations, and you solve every problem the same way. And in the end, all of your characters end up identical clones of each other. No one character makes up for the other character's weaknesses because no one has any. There's a time in between where you can build your own characters and give them purpose, but you only have that diversity while you are limited by the amount of license points earned and the paths you've chosen.

The job system simply makes that stage permanent. And while it's not a perfect system, the restrictions lead to compelling choices in team build that can lead to multiple playthroughs that feel fresh and new because you're solving different puzzles in different ways every time. And not leading to the same inevitable conclusion.

I firmly believe that if this system was here from the beginning, this game wouldn't be as underrated as it is. I think once a lot of the people who were lukewarm the first time 'round will be pleasantly surprised at how much more they like this version.

XIII was superior imo because it had more interesting characters and its "nothing's happening!!!" moments (I thought there were way less than in XII, maybe it's just me?) were filled out with good character development.
Neither game was particularly great in terms of characters, though XII's cast felt more fresh to me and it had more going for it in terms of lore and background events plus it had a more multicultural feel to it and I'm a sucker for that stuff.

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but US Gamer did an interview with, among others, Joseph Reeder and Alexander O. Smith, who worked on the translation of Final Fantasy XII back in the day and are back for the Sequel. In the interview, they talk about various things they did with the script and the voicework and elaborate on matters of localization. Well worth a read.

Here's the link: A Voice for Ivalice - The Localization and Voice Acting of Final Fantasy XII

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
So, I was not able to wait. I am doing my last IZJS run before The Zodiac Age comes out. I tell ya, I'm giddy about this re-release because this is one of the more underappreciated games in the series and I think a lot of people are really in for a treat.

But, anyway, for those who haven't played IZJS, I have at least 1000 hours invested in this game and I know it quite well. The zodiac version of the license board makes for some very compelling choices, the kind that can be debated for years to come. I will be around to help people pick their teams for when the game comes (though, they left the door open for the possibility of being able to change jobs, so the choices aren't quite as crucial, but there's still plenty of unintuitive bonuses you can manage with the right setups, so the conversations will still be worthwhile.)

Before that, though, I'm going to deposit some tips as I go along my playthrough. Some things I've noticed that I haven't seen written anywhere, mostly exclusive to IZJS:

(This posts assumes general familiarity with the game. If you've never played, these are very minor spoilers, but I'm not tiptoeing around character names and whatnot)

-Larsa (as Lamont) no longer gives you free Hi-Potions but he's even more valuable than ever before. He now comes with Shades of Black, but you have to go into his gambits to make him ever use it. At this level, it may as well be a nuclear bomb and he makes it trivial to farm the skeletons on the bridge in Lhusu mines even if you're at level 1 on a weak mode run. In IZJS, money is a lot easier to come by than vanilla, but spending 10 minutes auto-farming the skeletons for a trip or two while you have him in your party will have you financially set up for the life of the game.

This goes for all guests. Always go into their gambits to see what they can REALLY do.

-Speaking of which, forget about Foe: HP = 100% -> steal. There's a new way in IZJS that is far more efficient. First, make your healer/support units either Fran, Balthier or Vaan because they have the most downtime and they come with innate steal. I use Balthier as a white mage for my examples because that's the least wasteful option. A white mage has few offensive abilities, so you can replace what would be their melee attack with Foe: Distributed Attack -> Steal (an IZJS exclusive). Foe: Distributed attack will target one enemy, attempt the action, then switch to the next enemy, attempt the action again, etc. This will automatically have your white mage's downtime spent by switching targets and attempting to steal from each one, without ever getting stuck on a single target. If you set your gambits to have them do most of their healing AFTER battle (with a Ally HP <80 or 90% -> cure/regen BELOW the steal line) then you will have ample healing support that also wastes no time picking every enemy clean without wasting any turns.

-Mist abilities have their own resource (don't waste MP). Quickenings are much more useful in this version because they will not leave your party handicapped. They make for a wonderful finishing move, which is incredibly useful on bosses that go absolutely berserk when low on HP. Make sure you check the boards before you learn your quickenings as you'll often get 4 possible nodes, but you can only train three of them and some unlock nodes worth grabbing. But, don't sleep on them either. They were easily bypassed in vanilla but they're worth taking the time to learn how to do right. Used at the right time, they can save you a TON of hassle and they are pretty cool looking and satisfying to use. It's like a limit break that you have to control to get the most out of. They also cut through everything and go off almost immediately. A good example of this in practice: In Raithwalls's Tomb, you run into a much stronger Demo wall that you will generally run away from. I did this over the weekend, and set everyone for maximum offense until the last possible moment, and with the demon wall at around 50%, set off a 10-chain quickening to finish it off a split second before getting squished.

-Controllable Espers are occasionally useful. Vanilla Espers are 100% useless. Each one has some weird condition that needs to be met in order to even do it's ultimate move. In IZJS, you can make them your party leader, position them and activate any of their moves when you want. They can all heal as well. Early on in the game, you get a hunt called Ring Wyrm. At the level, it's actually a pretty tough hunt. It hits hard, has a strong fire breath, does some status attacks, etc. Summon Belias, the first Esper, and set him as the primary party member. You can position the summoner at the Wyrm's back and let the Esper tank. It's fire elemental, so it absorbs the fire breath, and is immune to the status effects. It will burn it down to about nothing where the Wyrn will start to enrage. Pop it's ultimate before it can't handle it anymore, then finish the hunt off with a quickening chain. Just one example. They are still mostly useless, but I expect to find a few other places where they are worth using.

I will post more observations as I go along.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
-Controllable Espers are occasionally useful. (....). They are still mostly useless, but I expect to find a few other places where they are worth using.
The biggest reason why they will remain useless will be due to them reducing your party (if don´t play with just 1 character) as just 2 members (summoner & Esper), which imo is bigger and worse handicap than all these debuffs combined.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
The biggest reason why they will remain useless will be due to them reducing your party (if don´t play with just 1 character) as just 2 members (summoner & Esper), which imo is bigger and worse handicap than all these debuffs combined.
Yeah, I'm reaching on them a little bit. I was actually just surprised that I found a single situation where it was truly the best option. There was another battle as well, against a flan that casts ice-based spells that is also normally tough for the level that would have probably been a decent fit for the only other Esper I have so far, which is Mateus. But I used a reflectaga mote and burned him down before I got that one.

In the example I gave, it's almost certainly the best option, though. You don't need any other party members, it was capable of tanking and outdamaged my whole part by itself. Could well be a unique situation, though. I'll be experimenting throughout the playthrough, though. Espers are definitely not useful on a normal basis, though. It will almost certainly just be specific situations where they are useful.

They're open to making some changes, though. I'd love to see the Espers come with more HP/defenses and have innate Lure status. That'd at least make them decent oh-shit fodder.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
He doesn't use X-Potions as well?
He, and all other guests, no longer comes with his own supply of items. If you have X potions, he can use them, but it now consumes them.

You still won't miss it, though. The second time you get him, he has bubble as well. Long before you could normally have it.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
So, I don't know if this one counts as a tip or not, but I just did something different that I hadn't tried before and kind of surprised at how much better method this is.

Two annoyances I've had in this game regarding levels: The first one is trying to balance levels of my teammates so no one falls behind. The bigger one, though, is the optional hunts make you get so strong that it trivializes story content, especially in early-mid game (around Salikawood which is where I am at now). The hunts take a pretty dramatic turn on the difficulty curve and they start coming fast. You're also opening access to the Necrohol of Nabudis and get your first hunts in Barheim, both of which will toughen a party right the hell up. In every playthrough prior to this, by the time I get done with this section of optional content, I am probably strong enough to beat the game.

Well, I found a solution to both problems at the same time, and forgive me if this is how you all have been doing it and *I'm* the dummy here. I separated my team into 2 incredibly solid teams. One team, my A team, the holy trinity of Kight, White mage, Black Mage, and I use them for all optional content. Hunts, exploring dungeons I shouldn't be in, etc, and if they get overleveled, no big deal, because my B Squad is left fresh for story content. And this method keeps each team relatively even in levels, so no being forced to find a way to insert my lowest level units into the party to keep them up. I can set gambits to work within the assigned groups as well, for better fine-tuning.

Esper update: Still useless

And, last thing. Anyone know if there's some kind of cheat-finder for PCSX2? I remember playing around with one to trap events in other emulators. Basically, I'm trying desperately to find a code to turn off the minimap. There doesn't seem to be a code already out there but it shouldn't be any harder than popping in and out of a pub (map, no map, etc) to trap the value that turns it on or off. I have a serious problem where I end up playing the whole game in the minimap so I've hung some dirty laundry over the top-right corner of my screen to block it. This is not an ideal solution, lol. But, I tell ya, I've been shocked at how many visual cues are in there. I get around better without the minimap than I did with it. I can totally get around in Garamysthe Waterway now, and everything feels bigger.

Edit: Found the cheat finder! I will hopefully have this code before the end of the day! Way too late to be useful for anyone, lol, but still.

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
After doing some playthrought in XII I noticed that the game has tons of lootings that in one hand gives it somewhat of extra value to the players that want spent tons of time collecting stuff but in other hand the looting the requiered to get some equipments are frankly ridiculuosly tedious, I´m aware that you can manipulate the RNG in the game by doing so tricks but that doesn´t change the fact they´re quite tedious and feel more like work.

In other related stuff, for some reason broadswords, longswords, katanas, ninja blades, lances and punches are the only weapons that can do multiple hits.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
They can all combo, you're just not having good luck or something.

As for the loot, there are basically two types of chests. Static, one time chests and random chests. Just about every chest with a decent piece of equipment, or spell or whatever, is a one time guaranteed chest. Meaning you'll get that item no matter what just like any chest from any older FF.

For the few that aren't guaranteed, they're usually not necessary. A nice random upgrade here or there. A nice surprise when you get one. Makes for a different experience each time. There's hardly a need to farm any of them. If you do, however, at least now you only have to go one screen.

Most of what I just said is IZJS exclusive, but it'll be on the new version.

dissasterrific

fal'Cie Goddess
Administrator
Site Staff
Mar 6, 2016
cosmos
Late on the thread here, but I lost my mind during the announcement of this game. :arghh:

I have not experienced IZJS at all nor have any knowledge on how it works. So experiencing it for the first time with this remaster is going to be great, because it's gonna feel like playing an entirely new game, just from judging DrBretto's observations above.

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but US Gamer did an interview with, among others, Joseph Reeder and Alexander O. Smith, who worked on the translation of Final Fantasy XII back in the day and are back for the Sequel. In the interview, they talk about various things they did with the script and the voicework and elaborate on matters of localization. Well worth a read.

Here's the link: A Voice for Ivalice - The Localization and Voice Acting of Final Fantasy XII
This is fantastic! Thanks for the heads up, I haven't seen this anywhere before.