Final Fantasy XV-2015 release year looks to be right

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
When I say this, I am looking at how long FFXIII from the start of Full production till it's release.

FFXIII got announced in 2006 and get release 4 years later in 2010 ( worldwide), Japan got it earlier in December 2009.

If we use the same time frame from Full Production till it's release for FFXV. If it doesn't come worldwide Japan will likely get it this holiday season, with a Spring 2015 for the rest of the world. If it comes world wide it will probably come within the months of April-May 2015.

Full Production for FFXV started in 2011, 4 years from then is 2015. I know it seems like a coincidence to be in 2015. However, if we go by Full Production track record, that would suggest a 2014 ( Japan) 2015 ( Rest of the world or Worldwide).

With that in mind and if that is indeed the case, FFXV will most likely be at E3 this year.

Last edited:

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Why would you guide your arguments based on something so inaccurate as the development time of another game? Granted, they belong to the same franchise; yet it is a different situation: Different teams, different generation, different game. You can use it as a guideline, sure, yet you can't rely entirely on it. For all you know, the game has run into development problems. Maybe it was supposed to be released this year, but problems during development led to an internal delay. Or things like that. Also, I think it is wishful thinking to believe that the game is going to be released in Japan this year. My prediction would be Holiday 2015 JP/Rest Q1 2016. And if that's the case, then we probably won't get anything substantial this E3. A mixture of old and new footage that's it. But that's just me and my pessimism.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
My prediction would be Holiday 2015 JP/Rest Q1 2016.
Safe prediction and I'd go along with that. One thing's always been certain since the E3 trailer last year: it was never coming out in 2014. Seen so many fans getting so excited over a 2014 release. The amount of people I've told to calm down and open their eyes has been too many. A latter half of 2015 release seems to be a reasonable estimate, but as we all know with this bloody game, anything can happen.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Why would you guide your arguments based on something so inaccurate as the development time of another game? Granted, they belong to the same franchise; yet it is a different situation: Different teams, different generation, different game. You can use it as a guideline, sure, yet you can't rely entirely on it. For all you know, the game has run into development problems. Maybe it was supposed to be released this year, but problems during development led to an internal delay. Or things like that. Also, I think it is wishful thinking to believe that the game is going to be released in Japan this year. My prediction would be Holiday 2015 JP/Rest Q1 2016. And if that's the case, then we probably won't get anything substantial this E3. A mixture of old and new footage that's it. But that's just me and my pessimism.
If you also look at facts like " Quite far into development" http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/13/final-fantasy-15-quite-far-into-development ( which was said back in Feb.), What would be the phrase going into TGS (7 months from the time of the quote)? FFXV almost done? Surely, with nearly 4 years of Full Production that one would think this game is nearing completion.

Also another fact to throw out there: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04...work-on-final-fantasy-xv-proceeding-smoothly/ meaning FFXV seems to not have any development issues.

I am not setting dates as you can see from my post, I am merely taking facts of a "mainline development process" and incorporating them into a FFXV scenario.

Besides without any of this information, Any FF that takes longer than 4 years of Full Development, there's something wrong internally.

Safe prediction and I'd go along with that. One thing's always been certain since the E3 trailer last year: it was never coming out in 2014. Seen so many fans getting so excited over a 2014 release. The amount of people I've told to calm down and open their eyes has been too many. A latter half of 2015 release seems to be a reasonable estimate, but as we all know with this bloody game, anything can happen.
Right, and I wasn't expecting a 2014 release date, heck in the trailer we didn't even get a release window, that's when I knew we wouldn't get anything in 2014 ( unless they really catch us offguard with it, which I would be extremely happy LOL).

Anyways if we don't get this game by 2015 years end there will be alot of angry people. 2015 holiday season I see this game coming out at the latest.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Personally, I pretty much agree with what you have to say here. I'm not going to worry too much about it, as E3 is coming so soon, I'm going to reserve my thoughts until then, as they can easily change depending on what we get at E3 (if we get something).

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Yeah, it's fine to speculate and give people an idea. We probably have more of an idea than we have ever had about a possible date for this game now. Although, as every year went by in the past, we kept on assuming different dates the longer the wait got. But with some confirmation of the game again last year, it seems fair to assume it could come out a good one-and-a-half to two years from now. I doubt most people would dispute a 2015 estimate. It's more about when in 2015 (or possibly 2016 for us...but hopefully not!).

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Yeah, it's fine to speculate and give people an idea. We probably have more of an idea than we have ever had about a possible date for this game now. Although, as every year went by in the past, we kept on assuming different dates the longer the wait got. But with some confirmation of the game again last year, it seems fair to assume it could come out a good one-and-a-half to two years from now. I doubt most people would dispute a 2015 estimate. It's more about when in 2015 (or possibly 2016 for us...but hopefully not!).
Throwing out all sources about potentially when they game could release and just focus on When the started Full Production, and how long it usually takes them roughly. 2011-2015 of Full production is more than enough time to dish out a 200+ hours ( assuming that's how long it is) worth of content.

When you add in the sources of:

- FFXV has high priority within the company, meaning most games are in "slow mode" so FFXV can get out the door. " Similar on how FFXIV ARR had to take lots of bodies to get the game out within 2 years. ( I don't even know how they even did that!) and that game is very good and doing well for itself.

-Far into Development (from Feb 2014) at that point the game is 100% over 50% complete, probably 60-70%. At TGS 2014, How far long will it be then? 70-90%? Maybe even fully complete ( Japanese version). Even if the game is 100% complete, they have the right to hold onto the game till they see that FFXV is okay to ship.

- FFXV development going smoothly, I take this as a sign of confidence and also that nothing has really delayed the game ( from 2011 onward).

No matter how much facts I put on the table, SE can hold the game/halt the game until they feel like releasing it. However, since Versus is now FFXV at least halting the game is 100% out the window. holding onto the game is another issue, but I think they want to bring this out ASAP.

Who knows what will happen, I just think it's likely we will see a 2015 release window at Either E3 or TGS.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Well, it's reassuring to hear facts and statements like these, after all this game has put us through, so thanks for sharing them. It is just great in itself that we're even at a point where we can make a good estimate of its long-awaited release at long last.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I'd say Holiday 15 for Japan is a sort of 'at the very earliest' scenario, but the logic and reasoning behind that seeming ideal is difficult to fault. However, FF15 has, thus far, been far from a typical development for Square Enix, so I would not be at all surprised if it ended up more protracted still.

Ultimately, the truth has to be read in fiscal years, because Square's ultimate, #1 responsibility is of course to its shareholders. And I think if it isn't out in at least one territory by the end of FY 2015/16 (so March 2016) there's going to be serious unrest.

- FFXV has high priority within the company, meaning most games are in "slow mode" so FFXV can get out the door. " Similar on how FFXIV ARR had to take lots of bodies to get the game out within 2 years. ( I don't even know how they even did that!) and that game is very good and doing well for itself.

-Far into Development (from Feb 2014) at that point the game is 100% over 50% complete, probably 60-70%. At TGS 2014, How far long will it be then? 70-90%? Maybe even fully complete ( Japanese version). Even if the game is 100% complete, they have the right to hold onto the game till they see that FFXV is okay to ship.

- FFXV development going smoothly, I take this as a sign of confidence and also that nothing has really delayed the game ( from 2011 onward).
I will say, though, that these kind of statements are meaningless to me coming from Square at this point. I could go and dig out countless quotes from the likes of Kitase (when he was on the project) and Hashimoto saying development was going smoothly and everything was going great but right now it's Lightning's turn so please wait a little longer from as far back as 2009, but the truth was that it appears everything was on fire behind-the-scenes. They're not going to say if things aren't as smooth as they'd like, obviously.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
I'd say Holiday 15 for Japan is a sort of 'at the very earliest' scenario, but the logic and reasoning behind that seeming ideal is difficult to fault. However, FF15 has, thus far, been far from a typical development for Square Enix, so I would not be at all surprised if it ended up more protracted still.

Ultimately, the truth has to be read in fiscal years, because Square's ultimate, #1 responsibility is of course to its shareholders. And I think if it isn't out in at least one territory by the end of FY 2015/16 (so March 2016) there's going to be serious unrest.

I will say, though, that these kind of statements are meaningless to me coming from Square at this point. I could go and dig out countless quotes from the likes of Kitase (when he was on the project) and Hashimoto saying development was going smoothly and everything was going great but right now it's Lightning's turn so please wait a little longer from as far back as 2009, but the truth was that it appears everything was on fire behind-the-scenes. They're not going to say if things aren't as smooth as they'd like, obviously.
Quotes like "Going smoothly" I can agree with ya. With saying "far into development" When they say this at that point of time, I am sure they mean they are far into development :p. Like with any FF games (mainline) it normally takes "High priority over everything else". FF is their baby after, it's what saved their company.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Quotes like "Going smoothly" I can agree with ya. With saying "far into development" When they say this at that point of time, I am sure they mean they are far into development :p. Like with any FF games (mainline) it normally takes "High priority over everything else". FF is their baby after, it's what saved their company.
Sure, yeah. It's such an quantifiable thing, though. Unfortunately Japanese developers don't talk in plain terms (How nice is it that Bioware plainly says "Dragon Age Inquisition is Content Complete, now it's polishing time"?). For instance, a quick google turns up an interview from mid-2008 that has Kitase saying "The scenario is pretty much complete and the artistic side is about 80% complete," of FF13 - which sounds very far along - but the game still took about 18 months from there for Japan and about 2 years for the West.

I'm just always skeptical about statements like that from them. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, etc.

I do think Q4 (year quarter, not financial) 2015 for Japan is a solid guess, though. If we were playing FF15 release date roulette, I would put some chips there... but also hedge my bet on the outside. Haha.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I'm just always skeptical about statements like that from them. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, etc.

I do think Q4 (year quarter, not financial) 2015 for Japan is a solid guess, though. If we were playing FF15 release date roulette, I would put some chips there... but also hedge my bet on the outside. Haha.
I agree with this. People need to remember that such statements are nearly useless. I would also bet on Q4 2015 in Japan. Though I wouldn't be completely sure.

kamikki

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 18, 2013
Finland
I would bet in a nearly simultaneous worldwide release.

As for statements and evidence that we have so far of development, Sqenix really needs to put images in their mouth and fulfill their promise of "frequent updates on the development". Right before E3 it's kind of useless to speculate on the release date of this game when the last real update we had was, well, last year. If they don't show anything really new soon I believe FFXV will be out mid 2016 at the earliest, and that's a very sad prospect.

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
I would bet in a nearly simultaneous worldwide release.

As for statements and evidence that we have so far of development, Sqenix really needs to put images in their mouth and fulfill their promise of "frequent updates on the development". Right before E3 it's kind of useless to speculate on the release date of this game when the last real update we had was, well, last year. If they don't show anything really new soon I believe FFXV will be out mid 2016 at the earliest, and that's a very sad prospect.
Oh. What makes you think this? (Just curious)

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Sure, yeah. It's such an quantifiable thing, though. Unfortunately Japanese developers don't talk in plain terms (How nice is it that Bioware plainly says "Dragon Age Inquisition is Content Complete, now it's polishing time"?). For instance, a quick google turns up an interview from mid-2008 that has Kitase saying "The scenario is pretty much complete and the artistic side is about 80% complete," of FF13 - which sounds very far along - but the game still took about 18 months from there for Japan and about 2 years for the West.

I understand this point of view. I really believe that Square needs to take an approach that speaks to their fans on the development of certain games that little bit more. They're entitled to keep games under wraps - how cool was it to learn of The Last of Us out of the blue, for example, and then it pretty much landed in our hands not long later? With a game like FF15, though, and other such important titles that get early announcements, I think it's important to keep your customers reassured and updated on the development of things. You could argue that the complete lack of communication and facts actually is a bad sign - as proven already with Versus. But I'm with you lot that believe SE needs to actually lay stuff on the table to let fans know how things are going with more than just drabs of words every year or so. They can do what they want at the end of the day, but it doesn't fill people with confidence after we've been so fed up of things for many years. I'm hoping the communication that Yoshida did and is doing with fans on FFXIV is a sign that other parts of SE will do the same...

nikos29

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 7, 2013
When I say this, I am looking at how long FFXIII from the start of Full production till it's release.

FFXIII got announced in 2006 and get release 4 years later in 2010 ( worldwide), Japan got it earlier in December 2009.

If we use the same time frame from Full Production till it's release for FFXV. If it doesn't come worldwide Japan will likely get it this holiday season, with a Spring 2015 for the rest of the world. If it comes world wide it will probably come within the months of April-May 2015.

Full Production for FFXV started in 2011, 4 years from then is 2015. I know it seems like a coincidence to be in 2015. However, if we go by Full Production track record, that would suggest a 2014 ( Japan) 2015 ( Rest of the world or Worldwide).

With that in mind and if that is indeed the case, FFXV will most likely be at E3 this year.

I think FF 15 production will not be as long as ff13 :

First we all know that FF13 production was just like hell on earth for square enix . the game has been restarded several times. The game engine was just awful for developpers. Kitase himself recognized that the production was chaotic

Then Even if ff15 is in full prod since a short time, some tasks like scenario, world creation and art direction must be completed since a long time

I trully believed it might be released in 2014, until square enix released their 2014 previsions with low sales, letting guess that FF15 is definitely not for 2014

kamikki

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 18, 2013
Finland
Oh. What makes you think this? (Just curious)
When someone promises you: "we'll keep you posted" and proceeds to tell you nothing, I can't help to think that something is up and things aren't going as smoothly as they could.
As for why I think we'll get a nearly or even a worldwide release, well, ARR released worldwide simultaneously, and I don't think in this day and age, and the way consoles are selling in Japan, that Square enix can really prioritize Japan like in the past.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
When someone promises you: "we'll keep you posted" and proceeds to tell you nothing, I can't help to think that something is up and things aren't going as smoothly as they could.
As for why I think we'll get a nearly or even a worldwide release, well, ARR released worldwide simultaneously, and I don't think in this day and age, and the way consoles are selling in Japan, that Square enix can really prioritize Japan like in the past.
Well they have given us "some info" like the Japanese sites for PS4 and XBONE detailing more in-depth combat system and what not.

kamikki

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 18, 2013
Finland
Well they have given us "some info" like the Japanese sites for PS4 and XBONE detailing more in-depth combat system and what not.
Hardly what I would call an update. Besides, everything in that info felt like something we all found out by ourselves watching those E3 videos countless times...