Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae subtitle differences

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Nov 16, 2013
How well Did you think the subtitles were for the Japanese language option? Do you think they just used the subs from the English track or made new ones?

Mar 23, 2015
I think the translations are different, i remember reading an article about the translation differences from Jap. and English for the demo. Im not 100% sure though.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
Yep Japanese subtitles are from the Japanese dub while the English subs are from the English dub.

It's basically for every Japanese game the same.
Japanese gets translated into English -> the adjusted english translation then gets translated into every other language ( except for other asian languages iirc.)

In general we always have two different version - the Japanese original and the adjusted english translation.

Indeed. Even so, many people are wondering (if not complaining) about Ignis's way of addressing Noctis between versions. The relationship can change drastically based on this simple difference. There may be a story reason behind this curious difference that we cannot yet see, however.
I don't think it's a story-related reason, or rather I don't think story is the primary reason. Localisation usually has some differences because the team believes doing so would be more suitable for the targeted audience, so there a lot of factors being taken into account.

I don't remember where I read it, but apparently XIII's translation was very direct and literal. If that's true, then XV is a different kind of localisation.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I honestly don't like when localization takes liberties on changing content to better suit target audiences. I think this in many ways alters the narrative in a way that is more than a trivial amount. Personally, the idea of Ignis calling Noctis Highness instead of Noct is a complete difference in his ENTIRE CHARACTER which isn't just something as simple as changing a joke or a pun to better suit the target language for example.

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
I honestly don't like when localization takes liberties on changing content to better suit target audiences. I think this in many ways alters the narrative in a way that is more than a trivial amount. Personally, the idea of Ignis calling Noctis Highness instead of Noct is a complete difference in his ENTIRE CHARACTER which isn't just something as simple as changing a joke or a pun to better suit the target language for example.
Yeah I agree. I'm not a fan of what they've done to Ignis and I hope they have the sense to change it before it becomes too late.

Oct 19, 2013
The main translator who worked on XIII, Tom Slattery, I think, is no longer at Square Enix, and he shared details about his role as localizer. The project seemed to be a nightmare to bring to life. (On that note, Alexander O. Smith does not seem to be in charge of XV's localization.)

The question is why the localizers have deemed it appropriate to change the way that Ignis addresses Noctis. I made a simplistic comment in the first place, so thank you for explaining.
Here my notes on an interview about FFXIII with modern FF's main voice director, Jack Fletcher, if you're interested: http://67.227.255.239/forum/showpost.php?p=155370730&postcount=1434
FFXV's voice director might be Chris Borders (Gears of War, Mass Effect, etc.): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0096184/

This reminds me, I read a journal article from years ago about a "Japanese" XII and a "Western" XII. Without further derailing this topic, I shall leave it at that.
Anybody will agree that latter is the superior one.

Flash Over

Chocobo Knight
Mar 7, 2015
NL, Canada