Final Fantasy XV Fanbase Hate: What are your thoughts?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Feb 21, 2015
@NemesisSP

I don't think you hate Tabata and I believe you have valid points to be concerned about, who wouldn't be frustrated at the development of Versus XIII and XV. The other members on here are voicing their opinion in different ways. @LeonBlade is taking a purely logical stand point with evidence and questions while @Wazi the pa seems to be just wanting to help ya out by providing a different view on the subject.
@Mistwalker comment really sums it up here for you, "Edit: Oh, and please NemesisSp don't take this on a personal level, because this same message I'd like to send to everyone who's hating this game just because it isn't a game noone ever played because it was just an idea that never came to fruition. And that amuses me. It's a very interesting think to look at from here."

In the end all we want to do is help in different ways. In my opinion, if you really were a hater you would have resorted to personal attacks on Tabata or us and if we were we would have done the same by now as well.
We are all entitled to our opinions, if you don't like Tabata as a director, THATS OK!! :happy:
We just want you to enjoy the game and not be bogged down by doubts.

Tabata is only human and probably is trying to maneuver his way around what Square Enix's PR team has said he can and cannot say. Also he has NEVER been in the public spotlight like he has now. There could have been numerous reasons for Nomura leaving Final Fantasy XV, I think the company might have said that he HAD TO MAKE the Final Fantasy VII remake. After all they decided on the remake when they announced the PS4 port of VII back in 2012... Which was the same time Final Fantasy Versus XIII switched to XV.

We will never know what Versus could have been but try to take solace in the fact that Final Fantasy XV was born from the ashes of Versus. At least thats what I do. We just want everyone to enjoy the game for what it is, because WE ALL know all to well the emotional roller coaster that is the EPIC OF VERSUS. :woot: ;)

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
So basically you don't like Tabata because he isn't Nomura even if the latter proved uncapable of advancing his game substantially over six years of development. And also you don't like Tabata because he is working XV and not Versus XIII, even if the former is a game we'll be able to play and the latter was little more than ideas and concepts.

What sense does that make? Does everybody here think the same?
I understand this comes from the frustation of a lot of ideas from the Versus XIII era been tossed away or modified, but I'd give Tabata a chance beforse saying I don't like him, and I'd give XV a chance as well before saying it is a lesser game than what Versus XIII never reached to be (because that game never existed in the end, but XV exists).

Edit: Oh, and please NemesisSp don't take this on a personal level, because this same message I'd like to send to everyone who's hating this game just because it isn't a game noone ever played because it was just an idea that never came to fruition. And that amuses me. It's a very interesting think to look at from here.
Okay, I'm gonna make this clear. This has nothing to do with Tabata not being Nomura. When I said many things, I was speaking not from a factual or logical point, but from a point about how many people don't think about that stuff. Does it matter who is in charge in when many of the decisions that are made don't seem like they were necessary? And no, I said I don't hate Tabata, I said I don't like his decisions. I keep saying I don't hate the man, why is it that that isn't coming through?

However, if you do want me to explain in a factual way, here it is. Tabata has never worked on a big budget console game like this, he has only ever directed smaller, handheld games. I'm not saying he shouldn't take the leap to bigger games, but I don't think he should have been given free rein on the biggest game they are producing. And it's not that Nomura was the only one responsible for this. Let's also take a look at Type-0, which was frequently delayed by other games before it was put into full production. Let's also take into account that Nomura is not only involved in a large amount of FF projects, he is also the head of the KH project. Is it wrong to assume that, if the game hadn't been delayed to help finish XIII that it might have come out faster? No, we can't, but even still we might have gotten Final Fantasy Versus and a different Final Fantasy XV. And I do not trust him when he says he's going to make the game a complete story. Look at The 3rd Birthday and what a mess that games plot was, look at how many have called Type-0's story weak after playing it. Tabata has also not had a great track record with female characters, again look at how he portrayed Aya Brea. Yes, nevermind that she was really Eve, that still is legitimate criticism concerning him. He shouldn't have been left as sole director, I think the game might have come out faster with both Tetsuya Nomura and Hajime Tabata working together. I was looking forward to seeing them work together, in fact. I thought they'd make a great team. Unfortunately, that's not the case and the moment Tetsuya Nomura is out, so is Stella and so many other things? Even if Nomura approved those things, how else are we supposed to take it? Well? If we don't know what's going on, that's conclusion we could come to.

Another thing is that it feels like Tabata is tearing apart a game that wasn't originally his and doesn't care about whether or not it's what the fans might want. No, I don't think that was his intention, I'm just saying what it feels like he's doing. He didn't need to remove Stella, he could have had Luna still called Stella, just with more clearly defined goals. And would anyone have cared if that was the case? Also, look at how he said that Versus XIII was 25% done. The game was past the concept stage when it became XV and when he took over it was 50% and then he said that you could consider it a new game now that he was sole director, they redid development and decided to change things. The game wasn't just a concept anymore, no matter what Tabata may say.

So, no, I don't hate Tabata, I don't even dislike him. What I don't like is how much of what he says makes me feel like I shouldn't care about a game that, thanks to him, will never happen.

So please, stop telling me I have no reason to dislike Tabata, that I just hate him. I DON'T hate him. Just because I don't think his decisions were necessary doesn't mean I do. I'm telling you what I think and the reason I take it personally is because it feels like you're putting words into my mouth that I didn't say. Yes, I did not explain myself clearly, but I have a big issue with people telling me I'm wrong like how LeonBlade did. It makes me feel stupid and who honestly wants to feel that way?

@LeonBlade

I will admit, I lost my temper when I saw how you phrased that. I wasn't in a good place that day and I overreacted. I have a history with situations like this where the person was telling me I was wrong and was an idiot and such even when I did give out factual evidence. It did not give me a good vibe on it and I will admit that I overreacted to your comment. I could of and should of explained myself better. That day I was not in a good place and was in no mood to try and do so and when I saw it, I lost it.

Yes, you have a right to your opinion too and I shouldn't have let my emotions get the better of me.

@Wazi the pa

I REALLY want to enjoy this game, but it is difficult to remain positive about a game where so much of it causes frustration.

@Luminous-Night

That is another reason I don't think Tabata should have been sole director of this game. I do understand what he's trying to accomplish, even if I don't like it. It's not going to stop me from telling this right to the man himself when it happens, but I am willing to play the game and see. I have never been frustrated with a FF game like I have with this one and thus it's making it difficult to think about it positively. However, despite what I might have said, I am not unwilling to play it. In fact, I have every intention of playing it with the hopes that I am wrong.

And yeah, I don't think I'll ever quite have an experience like this one with a game again. :p

Last edited:

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
Okay, I'm gonna make this clear. This has nothing to do with Tabata not being Nomura. When I said many things, I was speaking not from a factual or logical point, but from a point about how many people don't think about that stuff. Does it matter who is in charge in when many of the decisions that are made don't seem like they were necessary? And no, I said I don't hate Tabata, I said I don't like his decisions. I keep saying I don't hate the man, why is it that that isn't coming through?

However, if you do want me to explain in a factual way, here it is. Tabata has never worked on a big budget console game like this, he has only ever directed smaller, handheld games. I'm not saying he shouldn't take the leap to bigger games, but I don't think he should have been given free rein on the biggest game they are producing. And it's not that Nomura was the only one responsible for this. Let's also take a look at Type-0, which was frequently delayed by other games before it was put into full production. Let's also take into account that Nomura is not only involved in a large amount of FF projects, he is also the head of the KH project. Is it wrong to assume that, if the game hadn't been delayed to help finish XIII that it might have come out faster? No, we can't, but even still we might have gotten Final Fantasy Versus and a different Final Fantasy XV. And I do not trust him when he says he's going to make the game a complete story. Look at The 3rd Birthday and what a mess that games plot was, look at how many have called Type-0's story weak after playing it. Tabata has also not had a great track record with female characters, again look at how he portrayed Aya Brea. Yes, nevermind that she was really Eve, that still is legitimate criticism concerning him. He shouldn't have been left as sole director, I think the game might have come out faster with both Tetsuya Nomura and Hajime Tabata working together. I was looking forward to seeing them work together, in fact. I thought they'd make a great team. Unfortunately, that's not the case and the moment Tetsuya Nomura is out, so is Stella and so many other things? Even if Nomura approved those things, how else are we supposed to take it? Well? If we don't know what's going on, that's conclusion we could come to.

Another thing is that it feels like Tabata is tearing apart a game that wasn't originally his and doesn't care about whether or not it's what the fans might want. No, I don't think that was his intention, I'm just saying what it feels like he's doing. He didn't need to remove Stella, he could have had Luna still called Stella, just with more clearly defined goals. And would anyone have cared if that was the case? Also, look at how he said that Versus XIII was 25% done. The game was past the concept stage when it became XV and when he took over it was 50% and then he said that you could consider it a new game now that he was sole director, they redid development and decided to change things. The game wasn't just a concept anymore, no matter what Tabata may say.

So, no, I don't hate Tabata, I don't even dislike him. What I don't like is how much of what he says makes me feel like I shouldn't care about a game that, thanks to him, will never happen.

So please, stop telling me I have no reason to dislike Tabata, that I just hate him. I DON'T hate him. Just because I don't think his decisions were necessary doesn't mean I do. I'm telling you what I think and the reason I take it personally is because it feels like you're putting words into my mouth that I didn't say. Yes, I did not explain myself clearly, but I have a big issue with people telling me I'm wrong like how LeonBlade did. It makes me feel stupid and who honestly wants to feel that way?
I don't think you're wrong, but I can't agree with you. Tabata may have its faults (and he has), but I can't agree with judging him or his game before we have even had the chance to play it. If the game turns out badly, then everyone will have the right to say he failed, but before that? I can't support something like that. That's why i think all this hate coming towards FFXV exist just because of the frustration of not being able of playing FFvXIII, a game that never existed beyond concepts and little demo-gameplay sections.

If you think about it with a cold, passionless heart, Tabata isn't tearing apart a previous game, because that game never existed. What he's doing -or at least I see it that way- is taking usable ideas from that conceptual game we know as Final Fantasy Versus XIII (and I insist on the 'conceptual' term) and adding them the best way possible on FFXV, a game that's real, that will come out next year (Please!) and that you and I will be able of playing it.

I don't know what happened with Nomura and the FFvXIII staff between 2006 and 2013, but the thing is they couldn't give FFvXIII life. And I don't know if FFXV will turn out being a good game, even if I hope for it just because I want this series to recover the levels of respect it had on the 90s. But I know I'll play and enjoy FFXV and that I can thank the efforts of Tabata and his team for it. And that's it, I'm grateful, not fearful, that's why I'm not hating this game, comparing it to a product that never came into fruition. I want to know what will come into the future of this franchise, not keep lamenting what could have been.

I don't intend to insult you or something, so please don't take this that way, but I think that keep lamenting on the dead of the still-born FFvXIII is just wasting time you could use enjoying this franchise. Enjoyment, that's what Final Fantasy means to me, aside of the number.

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
I do want to say I think much of the hate comes from people misunderstand what your intentions are and then putting words in your mouth.

It also seems that you absolutely CANNOT make even a slight criticism about the game or the director, even if you say you don't hate him or give him your opinions on how you think the battle system could be better handled.