Final Fantasy XV General Discussion and News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

What are you looking most forward to in Final Fantasy XV?

• The Story and Characters

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • The Gameplay and Battle System

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • The Music

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • The Graphics

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Return of the Worldmap

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Sidequests and hardcore Challenges

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Do you folks think the XV OST will be Shimomura's magnum opus, or will the KH3 soundtrack surpass this game's? Has she already composed her magnum opus?
Now that would be interesting to know, and I really hope that XV will have a better OST than the KH series, as the KH series had truly masterpieces! I expect the best, as music in FFs is a very major element!

I'm looking forward especially to the second part of the FFXV "Epic", where Nomura has finally decided, after the commercial success of the first game, and the stronger position he has attained, to finally pursue his secret desire to make a musical out of FFXV. FFXV-2: Les Miserables (tentative title) will be something unforgettably fresh from the man, and it help soothe his weary soul as he dually struggles to get Kingdom Hearts III properly off the runway.

Shimomura's soundtrack is definitely something for me to look forward to. Whether or not she actually did most of the work for Xenoblade's OST (there has been a small debate about this), going through the sample tracks that we have heard of - ever since 2006 - I certainly don't think we're in any choppy waters when it comes to the music whatsoever. Plus, I'd love to hear Somnus being belted out in the context of an in-game "cutscene(?)" that's not in an unvoiced trailer of a PS3 game that no longer exists from a few years ago.

Despite the heavy inspirations and undertones from the Elizabethan playwright's works, I'm not expecting Shakespeare from the story and general writing (hur hur!), but I am optimistic that I will have fewer uhh, annoyances, shall we say, from this than previous games. I think the synopsis so far is rather elegantly straightforward. A nation wants a crystal and will do whatever it can to get them, even if it means catching a victim nation unaware with a bogus peace treaty. I like that. Classic power-hungry, political manoeuvres and hopefully happy backstabbings going around. But Nomura either wants to, or is compelled to by his bosses, to stretch out this tale into an "epic". And I don't know about you, but the Kingdom Hearts overarching story as a whole so far isn't quite an inspiring beacon of storytelling genius.

I think looking at it, I'm particularly excited about the sense of scale and scope that the game will hopefully offer. A world map would be a nice bonus, but I've never genuinely mourned for it. I was very happy with something like FFXII's Ivalice, that compartmentalised the world into maps, but each were large enough to feel grand. I'm eager to see what FFXV's take on this will be, and how it manages to achieve it. FFXIII made me dearly miss getting to know a world at my own pace, looking at its society and idiosyncracies through my own eyes, without having to pretend that I was dually reading a book and watching a film. And it was Xenoblade that solidified to me as to what I really would like in an RPG.

Man, if Alexander O'Smith decides to dominate the localisation team for this game, say no more. I'll be there.

Mark

Yevonite
Oct 6, 2013
Scotland
No, just that it's been a long time since the PS1 days which - for me - had some of the best characterizations and character stories in the series.
Agreed, and one of the reasons I'm hyped about XV's story is because it had the exact layout that VII had.

Nomura on base story
Nojima as main scenario writer
Akiyama as event planner

(and now that the Type-0 team is working on the game, Chiba, one of VII's scenario writers, is most likely helping out with parts of the story)

So if you're a fan of VII's story, then have a feeling you may like XV's.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
I really hope FF XV will have a very epic, dark soundtrack but with lots of heart. Kind of a blend between the soundtracks of FF X and VII/Advent Children. Lots of driving action themes, lots of choral pieces (especially when it comes to battles), lots of piano and themes that go into the heart (think Terras Theme, Aeriths Theme, To Zanarkand, Serahs Theme -level) and of course a great lyrical theme song of the magnitude as Suteki da ne or Eyes on me. I´d also love it if Shimomura will blend orchestral, choir and rock like Uematsu did on Advent Children or how the Black Mages did with the FF songs they covered (watch the FF XV gameplay trailer while listening to the Black Mages battle theme of FF VI - it will blow your mind through the wall)

i disagree that FF XV is story wise similar to VII. I think it is design wise similar to VII while story wise it seems to be a lot more like IX actually (medieval kingdoms, a crystal, an evil ruler of a kingdom that goes on a crusade to invade all others, a female heir to a kingdom, a dragon knight and the chief of the royal guard in the party) which is a VERY interesting mix that we havent really seen before and its something I always wondered: what would a (story and settingwise) classic fantasy- FF with a Nomura style look like? I guess FF XV is the answer to that question. Throw in a new kind of action-oriented gameplay and we got ourselves finally a FF again that pushes the series in the way that VII and X did in their day.

Mark

Yevonite
Oct 6, 2013
Scotland
i disagree that FF XV is story wise similar to VII. I think it is design wise similar to VII while story wise it seems to be a lot more like IX actually (medieval kingdoms, a crystal, an evil ruler of a kingdom that goes on a crusade to invade all others, a female heir to a kingdom, a dragon knight and the chief of the royal guard in the party) which is a VERY interesting mix that we havent really seen before and its something I always wondered: what would a (story and settingwise) classic fantasy- FF with a Nomura style look like? I guess FF XV is the answer to that question. Throw in a new kind of action-oriented gameplay and we got ourselves finally a FF again that pushes the series in the way that VII and X did in their day.
If you're referring to me, I never meant that XV's story was physically like VII's, just the staff involved, and that should mean that the story will be good.

Although, XV and VII both share a more realistic derivation of the world and I think both are aiming for the same type of themes. VII had government corruption, pollution, classism, etc. I think XV is also aiming for theses types of themes. And yes, what it seems to be doing is very intresting. I actually like how the fantasy elements are minimal and there's more of a focus on reality. Also, I like how the base story is very simple, but I can see the story shining through characters intricacies, what with all the villains there are. I can see there being a lot of complex rivalries, defecting, double crossing, and epic stand-offs between different factions.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Actually the medieval elements will be MAJOR in XV. We have only seen the more realistic setting so far because we have mostly seen the high techn realism-based Lucis.

However Lucis is the ONLY kingdom with that setting in FF XV, while all the rest (Niflheim, Accordo, Tenebrae etc.) have a medieval setting. This due to the fact that their crystals are gone and the only remaining crystal that makes an advanced, high tech realistic world possible is the one from Lucis.

Ultimately I think the medieval design will be even much bigger in FF XV then the realistic setting simply because there are so much more locations with the medieval setting then the realism-based one. Only one kingdom really has that realistic, modern design and because SE is showing so far almost only material from that location it of course makes it appear that the game is mostly that realism-based but that is a misconception.

Ultimately I recognize a lot of FF IX in FF XV with its premise, the world, characters roles while having the darker and more serious style of FF VII.

Casval

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 30, 2013
I can't help but think that GameTrailers has taken the Shakespeare comparison too far.

Can anyone link to official sources where Nomura and/or Square Enix explicitly say that Versus XIII shares similarities to Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet? Please do not direct me to any of the trailers that have the one-liner from Hamlet.

Casval

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 30, 2013
How reliable this site is? http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/932981-final-fantasy-xv

it says that the game will be released in Australia 2014, is this true?
The GameFAQs blip isn't authoritative. It might turn out to be true, but as of now, Square Enix have not announced anything related to XV's release date.

EDIT: I suspect this tweet is one of the sources, @Redichi24?
https://www.twitter.com/redichi24/status/388243346579140608

EB Games Australia haven't even updated XV's cover art to the correct logo...

On a related note, in the United States, Wal-Mart lists XV's release date as June 1, 2014. All I can say is, don't pay any attention to that specific date (check out LR's date and you'll see what I mean)!

Last edited:

Skye

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
Anyone who's a fan of Leona Lewis?

I know there are mixed reactions of My Hands as a theme song for Final Fantasy XIII.

There's another Leona song which is completely different with My Hands.

There's this song Glassheart which reminded me the relationship of Noctis and Stella, it's a bit uptempo but very haunting. I understand that Nomura wanted a full orchestra OST of FFXV, but I think that "Glassheart" would be perfect fit as theme song of Final Fantasy XV

here's the song

and the lyrics

Baby, I'm staring at a piece of us
Shattered on the sidewalk
Tragic, broken like a china doll
Burning like a gun shot

My heart was beating
And so was yours
We threw each other
Down on the floor
My heart is breaking
It's made of glass
I guess anything that's good never ever lasts.

So baby if you love me, let me know
'Cause everything that hurts you've hurt before
You're about to tear this love apart
And break another glass heart.

So baby if you love me just let me know
'Cause everytime we touch, touch it's turning cold
Promise that we'll never fall apart
And I'll love you with my glass heart. [x3]

Right now, I'm standing in our empty room
Staring out the window
I hear music that we used to make
Boy play me that crescendo.

My heart was beating
And so was yours
We threw each other
Down on the floor
My heart is breaking
It's made of glass
I guess anything that's good never ever lasts.

And break another glass heart

And I'll love you with my glass heart. [x3]

Promise that we'll never fall apart, fall apart
And I'll love you with my glass heart.

And break another glass heart.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I can't help but think that GameTrailers has taken the Shakespeare comparison too far.

Can anyone link to official sources where Nomura and/or Square Enix explicitly say that Versus XIII shares similarities to Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet? Please do not direct me to any of the trailers that have the one-liner from Hamlet.
Thank you for pointing out.

Neither Nomura or Square Enix have ever made implications that there are storyline similarities to any Shakespearean work.

The quote from Hamlet in the Versus XIII trailers was
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
You can read here the context of this quote.

To me, this reads as good and bad being relative to one's perspectives. I think in the context of Versus XIII/XV, that it means those who want the Crystal, and the Lucis family protecting it, see each other as the enemy, and themselves as the good guys.

How it's applied exactly, I'm not sure, but I don't see it applying the story of Hamlet to the game makes any sense. Especially considering copying the story seems cheap and wouldn't go over well...

The connections with the ghost in Hamlet and Noctis's ability to see expiring souls makes no sense. Hamlet is able to see the ghost of his father only, and makes no sense to connect this with the story of XV in any way.

Also, the connections with Romeo and Juliet are ridiculous. We have no idea what the relationship between Noctis and Stella is, and it's never shown to be anything like Romeo and Juliet in any way. It seems to be grasping at straws, to assume that simply because there's a male and female character from opposing families, that somehow this definitely means it's R&J because of a Hamlet Shakespeare quote that deals with a metaphor of relativity with good and bad.

tl;dr GameTrailers doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about, and just wanted to make a video pulling... uh - grasping at straws to get views. Not that I think of them any bad for it, I'm sure they really weren't out to mess with people, I just think they're reaching a bit too far to make all these assumptions.

For those who think that Nomura will just copy Shakespeare for XV... well, I don't even know what to say to you.