Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
there's no point in creating a story for his days in the empire imo, the point of interest in his backstory lies in the distant past; also since they put Ifrit's betrayal as an option on the survey, i think they are well aware of what that entails, which is recreating Solheim/past events at some extent (obviously with lots of wallpapers vistas like in FFXIII).

anyway i could see them reusing assets of some of the dungeons already present in the game like costlemark/pitioss which are from solheim era.
I concur. His days in the empire wouldn't be as interesting as the past. With that being said... I wonder if they will make you play as him in the present, with his past being shown as flashbacks?

edit: tbh when tabata says he's going to improve the story, is that through dlcs or in the main game? releasing episodes apart from the main game doesn't fix it, the base game is still the same; that's why i think they should include the dlc portions also on the main game.

if one plays the pc version the experience will be the same story-wise, since the season pass is already included on that version it would be interesting if they integrated the episodes (like how you can choose to follow gladio on chapter 13, you can now follow prompto after he falls off the train and so on) because most will play the dlcs after the base game and feel the base game was lacking.

this would tie nicely with the new option to replay any chapter you want, and would give the player more choice.
I'm hoping they wold integrate the story improvements into the game as you said.

You've pretty much voiced my concerns as well as the route I'd prefer for them to take lol

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
"But he was clear about one thing: the Luminous Engine that Square Enix has so painstakingly invested in over many years, and that has thus far produced only one game, has a future. Luminous will be used to make new games on PC and console—there may even be one in the works already."

Luminous is here to stay.
'

Unless that one in the works is directed by Nomura and is apart of the XV "Universe" I don't really care, but hearing them wanting to use Luminous again Has me like

I don't need them running into engine troubles again

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/09/square-enix-looking-at-hd-remaster-of-kingdom-hearts-3d/ Happened with KH3 then they realized oh dear have to change to Unreal making them lose one year of work.

I'd rather have them focus on the game creation and leave engine for a third party

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Please let this be picked up by a news site somewhere so it can be properly sourced. I'm so glad about this, I can't tell you!

https://twitter.com/sayuyuv/status/901178316681609217

preach

edit: tbh when tabata says he's going to improve the story, is that through dlcs or in the main game? releasing episodes apart from the main game doesn't fix it, the base game is still the same; that's why i think they should include the dlc portions also on the main game.

if one plays the pc version the experience will be the same story-wise, since the season pass is already included on that version it would be interesting if they integrated the episodes (like how you can choose to follow gladio on chapter 13, you can now follow prompto after he falls off the train and so on) because most will play the dlcs after the base game and feel the base game was lacking.

this would tie nicely with the new option to replay any chapter you want, and would give the player more choice.
I think they'll be sticking to DLC updates, but I wouldn't be surprised if they added additional documents and cutscenes into the main narrative.

Tabata confirmed that the Comrades DLC took place within the World of Ruin, filling in the ten year gap with more contextual "this is the survivors' tale" stuff.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
It was supposed to be but it wasn't supposed to star Nyx that's for sure.
Yes, but now it does. They can just slightly tweak the avatar system from comrades to make him playable.

I can tell you one of the biggest issues I have with FFXV is the lack of immersion when it comes to the full story. The only thing important that kingsglaive seems to establish is that Regis is dead and Luna got the ring. There were no other repercussions.

Ravus acts very different, Luna mentions nothing about her KG experience, Glauca didn't survive which was absolutely silly since there was no payoff for your father's murder. Noct knew who Drautos was, Ignis was apparently friends with Nyx, this could have been a perfect time to do establish the KG connection showed an emotional turn of events. I'm honestly asking for even more than a KG story, as things after the events should have persisted. Maybe Glauca isn't gone, he could be in Episode Ignis or the Comrades DLC, but I don't buy his death, we didn't see him die.

The same goes for Brotherhood. We should have gotten 1-2 minute cutscenes of how Noctis met his friends everyone we do one of their personal missions. I disliked having to watch the Anime for more story. Either that or actually make a prequel DLC about Noct's childhood, idk

However they fix the game, via cutscenes or DLC with new playable segments, I do hope these are on the list as well. Even abridged versions of them are fine. I know they aren't going to be likely (priority over an Ardyn and Luna DLC), but I know many people want to play as Nyx, and I know many feel that Glauca was underutilized.

Tl;dr: I know it's selfish but there is a lot I want this game to add for post game support. KG and brotherhood are better experienced in game, the game needs more repercussions from each too, along with everything else they plan on adding post episode Ignis. Tabata has said that the first area he'd like to expand or make playable was Insomnia, I don't see anywhere else, aside the end of the game, they can actually utilize insomnia effectively in the story.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Unless that one in the works is directed by Nomura and is apart of the XV "Universe" I don't really care, but hearing them wanting to use Luminous again Has me like

I don't need them running into engine troubles again

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/09/square-enix-looking-at-hd-remaster-of-kingdom-hearts-3d/ Happened with KH3 then they realized oh dear have to change to Unreal making them lose one year of work.

I'd rather have them focus on the game creation and leave engine for a third party
This again?

FFXV is a 25+ hour set-piece-heavy open world action RPG that took maybe four years to develop after the shift to current-gen. Given the genre and the production values, that's not a bad turnaround time... and Luminous was still being developed alongside the game.

Not to mention, if the expansions have showed us anything, it's that Luminous Pro is actually quite versatile. Within a little over a year of launch, they'll have added a 30-45min story expansion, a two hour action game expansion, a two hour shooter expansion, a two hour strategy expansion, a VR expansion, a multiplayer expansion with a unique magic system, an impressive character creator, a vehicle with fewer area limitations, two festivals with unique game mechanics, a timed hunt system, a bestiary, a chapter select system, and a fully-tricked out PC version (complete with 4k textures, improved visual effects, and a first-person mode).

KH had to be changed not only because Luminous wasn't finished yet but also because the engine team was tied up and wouldn't have been much use in training a team whose experience was limited to portable games in the workings of a current-gen engine. None of those issues would affect an BD2 game made using Luminous. It's completely absurd to think that there's something inherently problematic about the engine itself.

And, for the record, while KH is looking far better now than it did before, I still prefer Luminous' look to UE4's. The more use Squenix gets out of Luminous, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Anyone who still subcribes to Luminous being an incapable engine need to reevaluate their lack of research and do a proper fact check.

And i too still would have preferred KH3's look under Luminous, ditto on models as far as i'm concerned. The reveal footage with Sora's character model alone likely won't be topped at this point.

EDIT: Gamescom interview with Tabata

Will PC players be able to mod Final Fantasy XV at launch? What are your thoughts on that?

HT: There are were limitations to the game to ensure it ran on consoles, but that's less of an issue with PCs -- especially when it comes to modding. PC gaming has a culture of customization and modification, and we want to ensure that those gamers can do what they want to the game. We're looking into the possibilities of a dedicated level editor. We want to ensure that gamers will be playing FFXV for a long time to come.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/26/final-fantasy-xv-director-interview-gamescom-2017/

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I concur. His days in the empire wouldn't be as interesting as the past. With that being said... I wonder if they will make you play as him in the present, with his past being shown as flashbacks?
better but not quite as amazing as playing as him in the past (i don't mind if they do a linear dlc).

i just hope they don't choose the easy way, Ardyn deserves this (and his VA too!), a dlc like this might elevate him as best villain of the series; the potential is there.

edit:

what do you guys honestly think about this? dat luna hahaha
if i'm not mistaken i read the game was downloaded 10 million times? they're going all in with these ads.

i can see the pocket version selling tons

edit2:

isn't that noctis and ardyn? LOL i love this

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Hey, I'm new here, also, there was an interview with a user on osahirao's Tumblr with Tabata, and it may have revealed the winner of the survey. Since I'm a new member, I can't post a link until three days pass, but I can post the quote regarding the survey, I'll post it here.:

First thing I asked was: A while ago a survey asked about which kind of content we as fans would like to see in the future - so, who won the race?

A: It was Ardyn´s backstory that the majority voted for - so we clearly got the message he´s the person fans want to know more about. We´re not sure as of yet how we´ll do it though - it´s a lot of story, and telling a character´s story is always the most difficult and detailed part of a game. So, we don´t know yet whether we´ll make it another game, no dlc though, it would be a full game, or a movie, comic etc. We really want to tell his story though. Second in the survey was Luna´s story by the way.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Anyone who still subcribes to Luminous being an incapable engine need to reevaluate their lack of research and do a proper fact check.

And i too still would have preferred KH3's look under Luminous, ditto on models as far as i'm concerned. The reveal footage with Sora's character model alone likely won't be topped at this point.

EDIT: Gamescom interview with Tabata

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/26/final-fantasy-xv-director-interview-gamescom-2017/
The fact that they're looking into adding a level editor to the PC version really says a lot about how efficient they think their engine's tools are. XD

Actually, considering some of the making-of footage they've shown -- particularly the presence of Noctis when filling areas with content -- a level editor seems like an obvious addition in retrospect. There's even an obvious means to allow Noct/the camera to move in three dimensions.

As for KHIII, at this point I'm mostly annoyed by how low the polycount is on the character models, since they seem to have fixed the shaders. Then again, the Woody model looked pretty good, so... who knows?

what do you guys honestly think about this? dat luna hahaha
if i'm not mistaken i read the game was downloaded 10 million times? they're going all in with these ads.

i can see the pocket version selling tons
What do you think the odds are that they spent more money on that ad than on the game itself? XD;

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
A while ago a survey asked about which kind of content we as fans would like to see in the future - so, who won the race?

A: It was Ardyn´s backstory that the majority voted for - so we clearly got the message he´s the person fans want to know more about. We´re not sure as of yet how we´ll do it though - it´s a lot of story, and telling a character´s story is always the most difficult and detailed part of a game. So, we don´t know yet whether we´ll make it another game, no dlc though, it would be a full game, or a movie, comic etc. We really want to tell his story though. Second in the survey was Luna´s story by the way.

this is weird tho, since the survey was asking for additional content it's implicit that is additional to the game; i def don't want to see his story throught a comic, i'd say just make a meaty dlc as a gran finale to FFXV updates.

i checked the link and there's another interesting tidbit, and no plans to delve into the hexatheon's lore:

Another thing; what about Iris? We heard Prompto say at one point she´s gotten really tough, they call her the demonslayer Iris now - will we get to see someting of that?

A: Well, actually we were planning on showing some of this in the comrades-dlc, since, you know, it takes place at this very time. However, we´re not sure about just how much we can manage to cram in there - it´s all very difficult still.

Will we someday get more lore, especially about the astrals and their relations to the royal family, and about the background of pitioss dungeon?

A: Ah well, you know, we created pitioss as a mystery, a puzzle to be solved by the player. So let´s just not talk about that and instead move on, shall we? (laughs) When it comes to the hexatheon, there sure was a lot going on between them, but for now there are no plans on diving further into their backstory. They are a part of the magic of this world, and as such, tightly intertwined with it, but that´s all for now. I´ll keep it in mind though.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
A while ago a survey asked about which kind of content we as fans would like to see in the future - so, who won the race?

this is weird tho, since the survey was asking for additional content it's implicit that is additional to the game; i def don't want to see his story throught a comic, i'd say just make a meaty dlc as a gran finale to FFXV updates.

i checked the link and there's another interesting tidbit, and no plans to delve into the hexatheon's lore:

Another thing; what about Iris? We heard Prompto say at one point she´s gotten really tough, they call her the demonslayer Iris now - will we get to see someting of that?

A: Well, actually we were planning on showing some of this in the comrades-dlc, since, you know, it takes place at this very time. However, we´re not sure about just how much we can manage to cram in there - it´s all very difficult still.

Will we someday get more lore, especially about the astrals and their relations to the royal family, and about the background of pitioss dungeon?

A: Ah well, you know, we created pitioss as a mystery, a puzzle to be solved by the player. So let´s just not talk about that and instead move on, shall we? (laughs) When it comes to the hexatheon, there sure was a lot going on between them, but for now there are no plans on diving further into their backstory. They are a part of the magic of this world, and as such, tightly intertwined with it, but that´s all for now. I´ll keep it in mind though.

I wouldn't mind a full game, Lost Legacy style, about Ardyn, but thats it. I really don't like the multimedia stuff, and I really don't hope they go that route.

On the flipside, it looks like Comrades is shaping up to be pretty story content heavy, which is great. If not Ardyn, there is plenty more they can do with other villains. It is kind of odd they don't want to focus on the Hexatheon since one of the answers on the survey was Ifrit's betrayal, however, something like that could just tie into Ardyn's story if made. All I'm really hoping for is a complete revamp of the second half, that's all I'd ever need. From what I'm hearing, Comrads is helping to an extent, though you have to pay for that, and it doesn't fix chapters 9-14.