Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Yeah, that train station may have been in Altissia, according to a data-mine, or in Gralea like in that video, but we may never know.

Wonder if they'll bring it back, since it may have been what was suppose to have made the transition to the linear second half more gradual before schedule conflicts affected it, according to Tabata.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Wonder if they'll bring it back, since it may have been what was suppose to have made the transition to the linear second half more gradual before schedule conflicts affected it, according to Tabata.
Perhaps, the Regalia Type-D was supposed to be released alongside the gradual transition, but failed to make it in, but the Type-D got in through a free update, perhaps the transition could return as well.

Vallen

Forest Owl
Mar 4, 2018
Part 3

The recently released Armiger Unleashed gave Noct a special move that lets him take a particular pose. It's interesting to note how the FFXV team took the effort to mimic an old piece of Versus-13 art with that pose. Out of the countless number of art pieces and trailers, that pose was only ever featured once in this old promotional image of Noctis - so there is no other source they could have pulled it from. (the Dissidia team also used that pose for Noct's art, but both Dissidia and AU came out around the same time)

The Royal Edition of FFXV brough with it some new official art. And while it could always be the wild imaginations of desperate fans, I passionately think this was inspired by the Noctis-Stella screenshot from the 2008 Versus-13 trailer.

Lastly, you will notice that all media regarding Versus-13 (and early XV) up to the Jump Festa 2014 trailer had shown this bearded man alongside Regis. The official guidebook for the game revealed that this was an earlier design for Clarus (Gladio's and Iris' father). Even the small 2D game that launched alongside FFXV called "A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV" portrayed Clarus with this old design. So it is a mystery why his appearance was so drastically changed for the movie.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
Part 3

The recently released Armiger Unleashed gave Noct a special move that lets him take a particular pose. It's interesting to note how the FFXV team took the effort to mimic an old piece of Versus-13 art with that pose. Out of the countless number of art pieces and trailers, that pose was only ever featured once in this old promotional image of Noctis - so there is no other source they could have pulled it from. (the Dissidia team also used that pose for Noct's art, but both Dissidia and AU came out around the same time)

The Royal Edition of FFXV brough with it some new official art. And while it could always be the wild imaginations of desperate fans, I passionately think this was inspired by the Noctis-Stella screenshot from the 2008 Versus-13 trailer.

Lastly, you will notice that all media regarding Versus-13 (and early XV) up to the Jump Festa 2014 trailer had shown this bearded man alongside Regis. The official guidebook for the game revealed that this was an earlier design for Clarus (Gladio's and Iris' father). Even the small 2D game that launched alongside FFXV called "A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV" portrayed Clarus with this old design. So it is a mystery why his appearance was so drastically changed for the movie.
Wow I love this series! Keep going :D I also can't understand why they changed his design...in movie he didn't really look like bodyguard type :/ and looks nothing like Gladio :|

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Vallen nice write up, though a few things you mentioned being from 2008 were actually from either 2011 or later at the earliest. For example Clarus was never shown in Versus at all, in fact he was only added to that scene of Regis vs Iedolas in the 2013 version of the CG, whereas in the 2011 Versus version of it it only featured Regis and Iedolas in the scene.

You can see in the top image from the 2011 Versus trailer Regis was the only one seen in this shot, plus he had the Engine Blade. Whereas in the 2013 shot under it you can see Clarus standing behind Regis, and the weapons around Regis had been changed as did the entire scene basically rerendered out.

The first ever gameplay for Versus for that grassy area (and actual gameplay in general) was also from 2010 for the footage of Noctis running to a gas station, running along a road in the desert, and the Behemoth in the street footage, and 2011 for the gameplay version of the invasion at night and the grassy area at day, not 2008.

Clarus in all likelyhood didn't even exist in 2008, neither did a majority of the cast in the final game let alone from 2011 version of Versus, none of the characters by Ferrari existed back in 2008. That CG render of beared slicked hair Clarus is from 2013 at the earliest, and in the behind the scenes feature for Kingslgaive you can see he was actually still going to have that bearded design in Kingsglaive even as late as 2015, but for some reason they decided to change it at some point between July 2015 and March 2016.

Though I feel like you can chalk up Clarus's face looking different to the same thing as Ardyn, Luna, Ravus and Iedolas's face and hair looking different from Kingsglaive to the game versions of them. We never actually see a game version of Clarus, but true that the Kings Tale does use a design that looks like a younger version of his 2013 design.

Vallen

Forest Owl
Mar 4, 2018
Vallen nice write up, though a few things you mentioned being from 2008 were actually from either 2011 or later at the earliest. For example Clarus was never shown in Versus at all, in fact he was only added to that scene of Regis vs Iedolas in the 2013 version of the CG
Good catch!

The gameplay version of the invasion at night and the grassy area at day, not 2008.
You are correct about the gameplay being in 2011, but that area was shown in a scan in a magazine a little before that 2011 footage, I think. Will look up a link a little later when I get time :)

In the behind the scenes feature for Kingslgaive you can see he was actually still going to have that bearded design in Kingsglaive even as late as 2015, but for some reason they decided to change it at some point between July 2015 and March 2016.
Yup, it's an odd design choice!

Wow I love this series! Keep going :D I also can't understand why they changed his design...in movie he didn't really look like bodyguard type :/ and looks nothing like Gladio :|
Thank you! These are just some observations I noticed after keeping up with the project for so many years, will post more here and there, hope I'm not boring you guys aha.

Last edited:

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
You are correct about the gameplay being in 2011, but that area was shown in a scan in a 2008 magazine. Will provide a link a little later when I get time :)
I'm afraid that those scans of the grassy area are also from 2011, as they are just screencaps from the 2011 trailer.

If you're referring to the earlier stuff where it had 3 Noctis's walking around that area doesn't really look the same as the place from the 2011 trailer.

This scan here is the earliest ever look we had at Versus stuff beyond the CG trailers and it looks to have a lot of very early and place holder stuff there. (Top part is old Type-0/Agito XIII stuff)

This magazine scan is from 2010 interview Nomura did giving the first proper ingame reveal, a few months before the TGS 2010 teaser just showing the screenshots in motion.

Though the footage of Noctis fighting the Behemoth was not actually gameplay and rather just an fixed animation playing while the camera moved around.

And then the first proper display of the gameplay was from 2011 in January with the other characters and HUD, and a shortly after the trailer was shown these scans were uploaded from an interview Nomura did.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
http://ultyso.tumblr.com/page/2

Luna in Kingsglave

Monster of the Deep

I also never got why the hell they changed Luna's and Ravus's looks in Kingsglaive when they don't look that way in the main game. Here in this concept art she looks like the game model more.

This is probably one of the biggest criticisms. How do these designs deviate so much when Regis, Libertus and Nyx stayed the same between the movie and game?

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
I also never got why the hell they changed Luna's and Ravus's looks in Kingsglaive when they don't look that way in the main game. Here in this concept art she looks like the game model more.

This is probably one of the biggest criticisms. How do these designs deviate so much when Regis, Libertus and Nyx stayed the same between the movie and game?
perhaps actors who borrowed their faces didn't agree to borrow them for game too? on the other hand, regis old face looks same in game and in the movie...

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
The reason why they changed Regis' model was to match the actor that played him...in game. Which in reality he only voices him in the opening FMV and closing scene. I do not understand why they decided to bring on Sean Bean. For Clarus they used Gil Darnell. Again, I don't understand, I wish Square would stay away from using actor's faces due to them not matching the style of the rest of the cast. Also, they did end up reusing Luna's face model from Kingsglaive. The NPC glaive Delilah was redesigned in Comrades 1.20 update. She initially had a more Asian descendancy but was changed to that face model.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
speaking of this video:
if we overlook the obvious ps3 graphics I really like how dirty and destroyed the world seemed to be. Like truly forgotten by everyone. In XV everything seems a bit outdated and stuff...like restaurants...but it is pretty sunny and cheerful at same time ;/

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
speaking of this video:
if we overlook the obvious ps3 graphics I really like how dirty and destroyed the world seemed to be. Like truly forgotten by everyone. In XV everything seems a bit outdated and stuff...like restaurants...but it is pretty sunny and cheerful at same time ;/

I have this feeling that in VXIII, the world was war torn at the time, with Niflheim constantly at war with Lucis. But in FFXV, the most recent war was over 30 years prior to the start of the main game, so the game looking a little cleaned up would make sense.

perhaps actors who borrowed their faces didn't agree to borrow them for game too? on the other hand, regis old face looks same in game and in the movie...
I have no idea, but to tbh I feel like any explanation would be a poor one. It is probably the biggest gripe I have about the game, as other characters have the same look but they can't keep the consistency between 2 of the most important, and siblings at that lol.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
The reason why they changed Regis' model was to match the actor that played him...in game. Which in reality he only voices him in the opening FMV and closing scene. I do not understand why they decided to bring on Sean Bean. For Clarus they used Gil Darnell. Again, I don't understand, I wish Square would stay away from using actor's faces due to them not matching the style of the rest of the cast. Also, they did end up reusing Luna's face model from Kingsglaive. The NPC glaive Delilah was redesigned in Comrades 1.20 update. She initially had a more Asian descendancy but was changed to that face model.
huh, are you saying that npc in comrades had kingsglaive luna face? :0 Also Sean Bean only voices him, face was borrowed from Jon Campling (http://www.joncampling.com/communities/9/004/013/115/729//images/4626127713.jpg).

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
speaking of this video:
those areas looked to be just outside Insomnia, in Cavaugh.

Leide is also full of destroyed and abandoned stuff, destroyed tanks, airships, buildings and so on...

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
those areas looked to be just outside Insomnia, in Cavaugh.

Leide is also full of destroyed and abandoned stuff, destroyed tanks, airships, buildings and so on...
idk. maybe it's ps3 graphic that makes is extra gloomy xD on the other hand, tloz:twilight princess looked waaay better on blurry wii than sharp on wii u. that may be te thing xD

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
huh, are you saying that npc in comrades had kingsglaive luna face? :0 Also Sean Bean only voices him, face was borrowed from Jon Campling (http://www.joncampling.com/communities/9/004/013/115/729//images/4626127713.jpg).
The voice actor for Regis is Jim Pirri in the main game. Yet, I was mistaken thinking Jon Campling and Jim Pirri are the same person. Still is redundant considering how much money they probably had to shell out to pay Sean Bean instead of hiring a couple more people to work on the actual content. And yes if you play Comrades the NPC glaive, Delilah, that you are randomly assigned if you use AI now has Luna's face from Kingsglaive or it's remarkably similar. The only main differences is she has brunette hair and a facial tattoo. She also uses the Oracle's Sigil.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
The voice actor for Regis is Jim Pirri in the main game. Yet, I was mistaken thinking Jon Campling and Jim Pirri are the same person. Still is redundant considering how much money they probably had to shell out to pay Sean Bean instead of hiring a couple more people to work on the actual content. And yes if you play Comrades the NPC glaive, Delilah, that you are randomly assigned if you use AI now has Luna's face from Kingsglaive or it's remarkably similar. The only main differences is she has brunette hair and a facial tattoo. She also uses the Oracle's Sigil.
wow, that's interesting...I wonder if it's accidental or will have any purpose later. Maybe a long lost cousin? ;D