Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
@FFChocobo18, a talking Ifrit wouldn't work. Having that about him makes more sense now we know he's infected with the Starscourge. Ardyn being the only person to retain sentience with it makes sense, and I like the idea of Ifrit resurrected as a Starscourge-enslaved thrall with no will or voice of his own, a slave to Ardyn's whim. Ardyn would enjoy that.
I know, and I can accept that, I'm just happy with the story we got for Ifrit. It's no longer bound to the strategy guide and the Ultimania, I wanted that implemented to the game in some fashion, and the update did a great job about it in my opinion, especially with the glimpse of Solheim. I enjoyed Ifrit's story, it did give me a deeper understanding of FFXV's world.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I know, and I can accept that, I'm just happy with the story we got for Ifrit. It's no longer bound to the strategy guide and the Ultimania, I wanted that implemented to the game in some fashion, and the update did a great job about it in my opinion, especially with the glimpse of Solheim. I enjoyed Ifrit's story, it did give me a deeper understanding of FFXV's world.
What did the Ultimania say about Ifrit?

I don’t have a copy of that unfortunately.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
i think what plagues FFXV is not simplicity (most mainline titles are), is the overall weak presentation that hurts the game (awesome segments here and there, ending included, but those are the exception).

edit:

The Astral war was way before Luna was even born.

It was around the Solheim era.

Shiva didn’t side with Ifrit because it was her duty as an Astral to protect the people of Eos no matter what.

Edit: here’s an image of the Astral war art just for kicks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/73g7f0/astral_war_full_illustration/

beautiful

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
i think what plagues FFXV is not simplicity (most mainline titles are), is the overall weak presentation that hurts the game (awesome segments here and there, ending included, but those are the exception).
Yeah, they should improve the presentation of FFXV, and show more of how the Starscourge works, I consider that one of my main priorities as well. I also enjoyed the Starscourge and what it did to FFXV's world, and I enjoyed fighting Daemons, I would like to learn more about it at some point, even if they re-do the Revelation of Bahamut to go into detail about it. But that's just my opinion. My best moments with FFXV were so far, were meeting Ardyn in various chapters, Ramuh's trial in Chapter 5, the encounter with Ravus in Chapter 5, fighting alongside Aranea in Chapter 7, Ardyn's mind-games in Chapter 11, Ifrit's back story alongside the Great War Of Old in the re-worked version of Chapter 12 that update 1.16 brought upon, Chapter 13 where Ardyn revealed his identity, and the Revelation of Bahamut, and Chapter 14, in the World Of Ruin, along with the state it was in, I can't wait for Comrades to get into the World Of Ruin in it's first integral phase right after Chapter 13's events, and the fights with Ifrit and Ardyn, and Noctis' sacrifice.

Edit.:

Here's something interesting, near the end of this video, this person managed to hack the game, and found that Ardyn was shown as a Guest character, along with a model on the character menu.:

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Holy crap that is awesome.

The time stamp is 24:00 btw.

Lol Ardyn's stats are so misleading.. we all know he can wreck the bros instantaneously if he wanted to xD

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Holy crap that is awesome.

The time stamp is 24:00 btw.

Lol Ardyn's stats are so misleading.. we all know he can wreck the bros instantaneously if he wanted to xD
Indeed, if this is cut content, who knows why it was cut. I think it would've been really nice if Ardyn was also a Guest character in addition to being the Main Antagonist. If they do an Ardyn game, here's hoping they use the model on the character menu.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Indeed, if this is cut content, who knows why it was cut. I think it would've been really nice if Ardyn was also a Guest character in addition to being the Main Antagonist. If they do an Ardyn game, here's hoping they use the model on the character menu.
I would love to see him troll the crap out of the bros lol

Any moment with Ardyn in the game is gold so it would be really cool to see him accompany them on a mission of sorts with an extra camping scene too xD

I'm sure he would have fun annoying the crap out of guys, pretending to be a harmless old creep when we all know he could wreck them in an instant.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Alright so there are some interesting points raised in gamefaq.

There seems to be some rewriting or mistranslations going on.

This one seems to be about discrepancies between the new story update and the Ultimania / localisations.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75830848/887595468

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75830848/887596171

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75830848/887596195

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75830848/887596393

This one is about the English version mistranslating things again. Very important detail to get wrong imo... Also, there was no mention of Ifrit being "turned into a Daemon", or Shigai, in the english version.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75830848/887600271

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Alright so there are some interesting points raised in gamefaq.

There seems to be some rewriting or mistranslations going on.

These ones seem to be about discrepancies between the new story update and the Ultimania / localisations:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75830848/887595468

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75830848/887596171

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75830848/887596195

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75830848/887596393

This one is about the English version mistranslating things again. Very important detail to get wrong imo... Also, there was no mention of Ifrit being "turned into a Daemon", or Shigai, in the english version.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75830848/887600271

This doesn't bother me, honestly. I enjoyed what I witnessed in the update, even if there was a retcon, I wouldn't think it's a bad thing in my opinion, and they did well in the recent update. I also wouldn't mind rewrites of the game's story through the updates if it helps make FFXV's story better.

GodOfAllBimpy

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 1, 2017
Omg this lore is so vague, broad, and light that these patches don't add profundity. they just dumb down stuff even more, leaving me with ten times the questions!!! i understand players can only experience these tales from Nocti's view point as he's the main image we see on the screen 95% of the time but damn it. dont dumb them down!!! or at least make them consistent and logical like the Final Fantasy Present guy said.

ugh im selling my copy now. game is officially bullshit. FF lore hasnt been this simple since FF4. FF13 was convoluted. FF15 is half baked. The only JRPG with detailed history and worldbuilding that makes some sense is the Tales of franchise now -___- WTF HAPPENED

anyway the only benefit i have from FF15 are my theories. im gonna make an original story out of them

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Omg this lore is so vague, broad, and light that these patches don't add profundity. they just dumb down stuff even more, leaving me with ten times the questions!!! i understand players can only experience these tales from Nocti's view point as he's the main image we see on the screen 95% of the time but damn it. dont dumb them down!!! or at least make them consistent and logical like the Final Fantasy Present guy said.

ugh im selling my copy now. game is officially bullshit. FF lore hasnt been this simple since FF4. FF13 was convoluted. FF15 is half baked. The only JRPG with detailed history and worldbuilding that makes some sense is the Tales of franchise now -___- WTF HAPPENED

anyway the only benefit i have from FF15 are my theories. im gonna make an original story out of them
for a moment i thought i went to gamefarts.

edit:

tried to find some reasonable line of logic, my conclusion of what he said: lore was vague and simple (is getting less so with each update tho), but because it didn't fit with Peasant theory is now trash?

that's something to be studied...

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
What i can say..No offence guys, but english and german interpreters fcd up hard.
On the contrary the German translation has mentioned many things that the English did not.

Like the Starscourge coming from the meteor Ifrit summoned and Ifrit and Shiva being lovers.

It’s the English one that is leaving stuff out for some reason.

GodOfAllBimpy

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 1, 2017
for a moment i thought i went to gamefarts.

edit:

tried to find some reasonable line of logic, my conclusion of what he said: lore was vague and simple (is getting less so with each update tho), but because it didn't fit with Peasant theory is now trash?

that's something to be studied...
each new update is filler fluff that has no narrative depth to it. yes they are vague. not in a minimalist approach but in a these storytellers arent diving into their own explanations way. throwing out tropes for quick conclusion sake is not enough. i defended the game long enough. now its crap. the latest backstory patch on the Astrals proves it!!!

Shiva the generic goddess of niceness randomly disliked humans before the start of the game because humans thought positively (hope and dreams!). Ifirit on the other hand liked their ambition. who cares why? he's a fire god and fire goes hand and hand with ambition. He gave them fire. humans made Solheim because they had fire!? btw Solheim means nothing for the rest of the game. Shiva got turned on by the action. they made out. then huamns randomly became egostical, thinking they were better than these deities. ifirit got pissed. he wanted them all dead. Shiva said no. thus a war broke out.

WTF THIS IS INDISTINCT AS FUCK. im sorry i cant accept such history. details about Eos do indeed suck. the writing team wants A B C to happen without elaborating the basic details between A B and C. the concept of cause and effect in a narrative hardly makes sense anymore

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
On the contrary the German translation has mentioned many things that the English did not.

Like the Starscourge coming from the meteor Ifrit summoned and Ifrit and Shiva being lovers.

It’s the English one that is leaving stuff out for some reason.
English is a very awkward language. It requires so much space to explain stuff. Compared to German which can condense a concept into a single word, and Japanese which can use maybe two characters to communicate a sentence which would be twice as long in English.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
each new update is filler fluff that has no narrative depth to it. yes they are vague. not in a minimalist approach but in a these storytellers arent diving into their own explanations way. throwing out tropes for quick conclusion sake is not enough. i defended the game long enough. now its crap. the latest backstory patch on the Astrals proves it!!!
the latest patch is not filler since it provided new information, if you disliked it its ok.

also, since you took your time to tell the "vague" and "indistinct" story of the astrals, please tell us the "descriptive" story of FFVI, FFVII and FFX summons, or even FFXIII eidolons; looking forward to it!

GodOfAllBimpy

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 1, 2017
the latest patch is not filler since it provided new information, if you disliked it its ok.

also, since you took your time to tell the "vague" and "indistinct" story of the astrals, please tell us the "descriptive" story of FFVI, FFVII and FFX summons, or even FFXIII eidolons; looking forward to it!
1 i'm not talking about Summons. I'm talking about lore. History. Events. The context behind the ongoing journey. I used the patch's voiceover slideshow as an example.

first off, this backstory covers 2 minutes and 40 seconds. the final telling of the WHO WHAT WHERE WHY WHEN AND HOW behind only 2... only 2.. only 2 again TWO out of 6 Astrals. and at most those 2 end up as quotable as any God you can find in a God & Goddess description generator. during the duration of it, what do I learn? randomness. contradictory information stuffed in there faster than a cactuar running. look at the picture of the Astral war posted here. Aside from the two noticeable Astrals it explains nothing! cool without a purpose for the greater narrative.

now I can go into what happens in other titles. I can go deep. And all deep means I won't sound like a first time Game Master clueless about concepts like worldbuilding. not a shit ton of information to compete with Iteven Erikson and Ian C Esslemont. i just dont want to feel brain dead when consuming facts about what happens in a setting

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
1 i'm not talking about Summons. I'm talking about lore. History. Events. The context behind the ongoing journey. I used the patch's voiceover slideshow as an example.
summons are part of the lore, history and events of many FF titles.

first off, this backstory covers 2 minutes and 40 seconds. the final telling of the WHO WHAT WHERE WHY WHEN AND HOW behind only 2... only 2.. only 2 again TWO out of 6 Astrals. and at most those 2 end up as quotable as any God you can find in a God & Goddess description generator. during the duration of it, what do I learn? randomness. contradictory information stuffed in there faster than a cactuar running. look at the picture of the Astral war posted here.
the who/what/where/why/how is not entirely necessary to the main narrative, a few guidelines is what most FF presents (see FFVI, the war of the magi lacks the descriptive information you want, i'd say its even more random, or Jenova's motivation in FFVII "of cooourse im a evil alien that wants to suck the life of the planet" so original).

Aside from the two noticeable Astrals it explains nothing! cool without a purpose for the greater narrative.
of course it explains, it gives a lot of context to the character of Ifrit, adding more meaning and context to his fight and his final scene with shiva; now he's not an end boss that appear from nowhere, not anymore, along with a few other things; the explanation might not be cool for you, but it's an explanation that adds something to the main narrative.

my final point is that the lore (which was one of my point of criticism when i first played the game) is less basic than it was before this update and bestiary, its getting better and more nuanced; FFXV lore concepts are nothing revolutionary but the vital information is there.

Last edited: