Final Fantasy XV: How will it affect the FF franchise?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Oct 19, 2013
"How will Final Fantasy XV affect the FF franchise, from a critical standpoint, fanbase standpoint and financial standpoint?"

Franchise: XV is the first action-oriented in the mainline of the series, so as others have said, XV's success may convince SE that going in this gameplay direction is OK. This is not to say that all mainline games will be action-oriented from now on but that this kind of system is acceptable from time to time, depending on the director. (Also, VIIR is already headed toward a more action-based system.)

Critical: XV has two legacies to live up to: the FF and Versus ones. The latter is debatable since most of us really don't know how Versus would have turned out, but to ignore the fact that some people still talk about Versus (and others pining for it, right?) and XV in the same conversation is unwise. Reviewers may grade XV more meticulously, if not more skeptically, than previous entries, simply because: 1) as APZonerunner has said, there are now more games in the market that rival FF and are thus the basis for comparisons, and 2) it's been almost 7 years since the previous offline FF game has been released, and that's a big gap to fill. Whether we like it or not, and regardless of the fact that XV really isn't a decade-old game, people will ask the question we all have in the back of our minds: "Was the 10-year wait worth it?"

Fanbase: Most will like it, others will hate it with a burning passion, and some other "fans" will troll about it without having played it. Same old story. What matters most is that XV draws in a new generation of fans. Unfortunately, it's now not enough just to cater to old-time fans who've grown up and are now working 9-5 jobs. The action-based system and world-class production values are good starting points for that.

Financial: Without a doubt, the console market is shrinking in Japan, so SE have to set eyes on the entire world, not just their home court. XV's worldwide launch should help with the financial aspect.

Don't ask me where I read this since I can't recall, but I read somewhere that Tabata said that he and his team have been streamlining a lot of things in XV's development and have been trying different things for the sake of future projects (paraphrase). As far as Tabata is concerned, XV is a game about the future, with some traditional FF elements for the old nostalgic effects. It's not a throwback game to help fans relive the golden days of FF and whatnot. With all that said, XV is very much an experiment for SE. Action-based game, project development cycle, brand-new in-house game engine, etc. In some sense, the game is an anomaly and is likely not indicative of future FF games.

tl;dr XV may not make or break the series, but as far as SE's concerned, it is a critical stepping stone for the future of FF. If it gets good reviews, draws in a new generation of FF fans, and helps SE make bank, then it will have done its job.
Regarding gaining new fans, this is what Tabata said in that really interesting feature interview about his early career and FFXV in one of the more recent EDGE issues:
"It’s very important to keep our fans, especially those who have been around for 30 years. But there’s always pressure to be attracting new players, of course. I don’t think we have to make a choice to appeal to one group or the other. In many cases, what works for one will hopefully work for the other."
Here are some other cool quotes about the team structure and development workflow of FFXV for anyone interested:
"I loved Vagrant Story so much, so when I had the opportunity to meet Matsuno, I asked him all about the game. I was extremely impressed. Matsuno knew everything about his game – every single little detail."
"The Final Fantasy XV team structure is flat. There’s none of the traditional hierarchy that you find in large-scale game development. If there are lots of report lines, I find that important information stops at the top, and people on the ground don’t know what the issues are, or what key decisions have been made. I dislike that approach.

Instead, everybody has the right to pitch in with the decision-making and to help resolve the issues. We have some meeting rooms on the floor, but generally I encourage the team to meet in the open space so that everyone else can hear what’s going on.

One of the policies I’ve created for the team is that, even though each individual has different opinions, I want everyone to report to me about issues. I try to fix things immediately, rather than leaving them to fester for a couple of weeks. Everybody is free to report everything, and then fix it straight away."
"Tabata and his team have spent a great deal of time studying western open-world games. They consider The Witcher III to be a recent genre high point."

Sep 26, 2013
This is what each game has done in Japan so far since Final Fantasy VII. (Media Create numbers archived by Game Data Museum)

FFVII - 3.2 million (3,277,776)
FFVIII - 3.5 million (3,501,588)
FFIX - 2.7 million (2,707,301)

FFX - 2.3 million (2,325,215)
FFX-2 - 1.9 million (1,960,937)
FFXII - 2.3 million (2,322,541)

FFXIII - 1.9 million (1,905,979)
FFXIII-2 - 0.9 million (917,412)
LR:FFXIII - 0.4 million (419,532)

FFXIII did 1.5 million in its first week and 1.9 million is where it settled.

There has been a decline in Japan since FFVII. The question today though is how much of an impact does mobile gaming really have on console gaming in Japan? That will be determined with titles like Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VII Remake and Dragon Quest XI.

Does the franchise really need saving ? I don´t think so, the fans on the other hand.....
Mayhaps not saving, but I feel that FF needs to find a course it can stay on for a while right now. For the last fifteen years, the games have always been radically different from another and I firmly believe this was in part responsible for the decline of faith put into the series by the players. Think about it - X was a major departure from how the series worked for the bigger part of a decade, X-2 changed things up again, as did XII and XIII and XV will be different again, not withholding the fact that there were also two MMOs in that timespan. Now, experimenting is fine and dandy, but it needs to stop at some point to refine the results it yielded - right now, FF is standing at a large crossroads, trying out various paths but never committing to one to see how far it can lead.

Sand off the edges from the stuff that worked in XV (gameplay-wise, change the setting as much as you like), throw in maybe a new ability system et voilà. Trying to make every game vastly different (including the engine) cuts the time better spent on the stuff I feel shaped the first nine games into the classics and genre touchstones they are revered as.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Mayhaps not saving, but I feel that FF needs to find a course it can stay on for a while right now. For the last fifteen years, the games have always been radically different from another and I firmly believe this was in part responsible for the decline of faith put into the series by the players. Think about it - X was a major departure from how the series worked for the bigger part of a decade, X-2 changed things up again, as did XII and XIII and XV will be different again, not withholding the fact that there were also two MMOs in that timespan. Now, experimenting is fine and dandy, but it needs to stop at some point to refine the results it yielded - right now, FF is standing at a large crossroads, trying out various paths but never committing to one to see how far it can lead.

Sand off the edges from the stuff that worked in XV (gameplay-wise, change the setting as much as you like), throw in maybe a new ability system et voilà. Trying to make every game vastly different (including the engine) cuts the time better spent on the stuff I feel shaped the first nine games into the classics and genre touchstones they are revered as.
Final Fantasy always being fresh and innovative is what has allowed it to survive for this long. X-2 was not different enough to really mention it, the only game that was different was XII and now XV.

"Innovation" does not necessarily need to happen on a larger scale. Think of it as trying to forcibly reinvent the car everytime you've built it instead of grabbing ideas from the last time and tweaking things from there. It takes far too much time to do it over than to fail and build from the things that can work.

I actually think that's what they're going to do from here on out. XVI may offer something similar to XV.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
"Innovation" does not necessarily need to happen on a larger scale. Think of it as trying to forcibly reinvent the car everytime you've built it instead of grabbing ideas from the last time and tweaking things from there. It takes far too much time to do it over than to fail and build from the things that can work.

I actually think that's what they're going to do from here on out. XVI may offer something similar to XV.
I don't think they'll use the same battle system from XV in XVI though, that's the thing, I imagine something more like XII for XVI just as a wild guess, obviously could be completely wrong.

I think a better comparison is instead of updating the same model vehicle each year with new parts and slightly different designs, you create a completely new model of car meant for different types of drivers, not reinventing the car from scratch. XV is like a brand new model by the same company, a luxury car that goes fast, but ultimately has similar core features to their other models that lend to the fact they are from the same dealer.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I'm typing up my reply before reading everyone else's opinions, so apologies if I'm just echoing someone.

This is a landmark title, no matter how you slice it. I don't think they specifically went out to make the next FF title an ARPG. I think they were in the process of rebuilding from the confidence blow that was FFXIII and FFXIV 1.0, saw the potential in this game and decided to go all in on it. However, make no mistake, this IS the new Final Fantasy, assuming the game is a success (and while nothing is bullet proof, this game has almost no chance of being a commercial or critical bomb. It could be meidocre, but it's got a very high floor).

This is a punt on the old generation. There's no need to pander to us anymore, we're getting old and the parts of the fanbase that are more vocal about wanting things to be how they were a decade or two ago aren't going to be satisfied no matter what they do. They're moving on to the next generation, and it's either time to get on board or get left behind. This may sound harsh to some perfectly wonderful people that just wish things are the way they were but it's over. It's done.

To reverse this tide would require an complete, outight bomb in FFXV, and that's just not going to happen. It's too pretty to fail. It's perfectly timed for the consoles with the general lack of JRPG-esque games as well. It's the anti-FFXIII. They hit this from every single angle. It's going to sell. And being a gorgeous open-world game means it's going to get its share of good reviews. All it needs to do to set the direction for all future titles is to beat FFXIII. Does anyone here think this game will be less successful than FFXIII, either critically or commercially? It's done.

I've mentioned this in other places before, and it's just plain the truth. Turn based isn't dead, but it will never be the forefront again. There's just nothing left to prove, and make no mistake the numbered FF series is about benchmarking. You simply can't max out today's consoles with a turn based game. You can, however, still show off what you're capable of on handheld consoles, which is why they've migrated there. You will also have a wave of neo-nostlagic titles like I am Setsuna, but FFXVI, XVII and XVIII are already ARPG, they just don't know it yet.

Oct 19, 2013
I'm typing up my reply before reading everyone else's opinions, so apologies if I'm just echoing someone.

This is a landmark title, no matter how you slice it. I don't think they specifically went out to make the next FF title an ARPG. I think they were in the process of rebuilding from the confidence blow that was FFXIII and FFXIV 1.0, saw the potential in this game and decided to go all in on it. However, make no mistake, this IS the new Final Fantasy, assuming the game is a success (and while nothing is bullet proof, this game has almost no chance of being a commercial or critical bomb. It could be meidocre, but it's got a very high floor).

This is a punt on the old generation. There's no need to pander to us anymore, we're getting old and the parts of the fanbase that are more vocal about wanting things to be how they were a decade or two ago aren't going to be satisfied no matter what they do. They're moving on to the next generation, and it's either time to get on board or get left behind. This may sound harsh to some perfectly wonderful people that just wish things are the way they were but it's over. It's done.

To reverse this tide would require an complete, outight bomb in FFXV, and that's just not going to happen. It's too pretty to fail. It's perfectly timed for the consoles with the general lack of JRPG-esque games as well. It's the anti-FFXIII. They hit this from every single angle. It's going to sell. And being a gorgeous open-world game means it's going to get its share of good reviews. All it needs to do to set the direction for all future titles is to beat FFXIII. Does anyone here think this game will be less successful than FFXIII, either critically or commercially? It's done.

I've mentioned this in other places before, and it's just plain the truth. Turn based isn't dead, but it will never be the forefront again. There's just nothing left to prove, and make no mistake the numbered FF series is about benchmarking. You simply can't max out today's consoles with a turn based game. You can, however, still show off what you're capable of on handheld consoles, which is why they've migrated there. You will also have a wave of neo-nostlagic titles like I am Setsuna, but FFXVI, XVII and XVIII are already ARPG, they just don't know it yet.
Exactly. And we as "old" fans can either adapt and be open for new things, or just stop caring. I choose the former and I can't wait to see what new things they'll try in the future with the mainline titles.

It's hilarious (and more often than not pitiful) how some people are posting "SE doesn't make good FFs anymore, FF is dead!" for nearly 15 (!) years now. At some point it seems crazy desperate if you're still obviously emotionally invested enough to claim that you "don't even care anymore" all the time. Let it go.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Furthermore, if this game ends up being the way I'm projecting (and I have been remarkably accurate in my guesses for this game so far, and this goes back fro months), then this game will play a little bit differently from anything else that's out there, and I do believe it will set a new style much the same way they did with the prerendered backgrounds in FFVII.

This isn't to give FFXV all the credit because they've borrowed from plenty of other landmark titles, that's just how these things work, but this will be the game that many, many future titles are compared to. And there will be a lot of games that use the same storytelling mechanics.

This part is the big if part, and that's totally up for interpretation. I stand by my prediction that there is almost no chance the project is deemed a failure, but this post is assuming the project is a wild success, which is very much on the table. This game has Instant Classic written all over it.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Exactly. And we as "old" fans can either adapt and be open for new things, or just stop caring. I choose the former and I can't wait to see what new things they'll try in the future with the mainline titles.

It's hilarious (and more often than not pitiful) how some people are posting "SE doesn't make good FFs anymore, FF is dead!" for nearly 15 (!) years now. At some point it seems crazy desperate if you're still obviously emotionally invested enough to claim that you "don't even care anymore" all the time. Let it go.
Yeah, I totally understand that the new direction isn't for everyone, but some people should jsut have moved on a long time ago. I just had a similar conversation with someone about this. FFXV has been a confirmed ARPG for almost 4 years. People need to stop acting surprised about it. If you haven't liked a FF game since FFX, then stop following the franchise and start playing fan mods.

Me, personally, I grew up on the series. But, I'm ready for the next one.

dissasterrific

fal'Cie Goddess
Administrator
Site Staff
Mar 6, 2016
cosmos
I couldn't agree more with this statement. I'm especially bothered by some fans who just cannot let go of the turn-based system. It's not even an exaggeration, it's still being loudly stated in most spaces of FF discussion online. It's like they never want the series to ever evolve! As Hashimoto himself said in an old interview, the next mainline titles won't necessarily be ARPGs, but at the same time I also think that the systems will inevitably have heavier action elements at the very least from now on.

As to how I think XV will affect the franchise, I simply see it to be another appropriate entry that showcases the series' ability to reinvent itself. There's not much more to be said for now when we know very little, and perhaps I'll get a better idea on the 30th.

I don't care at all about turn-based combat and it's the last reason why I hold so many old jRPGs near and dear. The two jRPG I count as my personal number ones for the last console generation are The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles - neither game is turn-based, but semi-real-time with TLS offering a cover-based action combat system and XC being mostly comparable to FF XII - a game I will defend whenever I can btw because I think the combat is really, really good.

I love Chrono Trigger, Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, Gensou Suikoden and (most of) the pre-X FFs because I love the stories they tell and the characters in them. I can accept turn-based being relegated to the niche (although two insanely successful franchises, Square's own Dragon Quest and Pokémon still use them) and I think the reasoning that jRPG don't resonate as much anymore is because the turn-based systems aren't around is a major fallacy on behalf of both the people who defend turn-based combat and those who think it a relic of the past better cast aside.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I agree that it's not so cut an dry. When people are talking about turn based like it's a relic from the past, this is more of a result of TB fans turning this into some kind of a territory war. Most of the people who are OK with the changes aren't necessarily pro-ARPG so much as they aren't anti-change, and some of the more vocal complainers about the state of TB are absolutely just stuck in the past as well. It makes it easier for conversation purposes to just assume the role they've designed for me, though. Frankly, I have no problem with turn based games, and this conversation isnt' even REALLY about turn based vs ARPG in the first place.

It's fundamentally about people wanting things not to change versus people who don't mind change. Lot's of people getting caught in the wake, but that's what it is at the core. This *does not* mean that turn based itself is a relic of the past. It means that the feeling people are trying to capture is, if that makes any sense.

So, there will be plenty of people that aren't so averse to change that will get caught up in this on the anti-ARPG side even though they aren't, as well as plenty of people (like myself) who very much enjoyed the old way that are also just plain excited about whatever comes next. All in all, though, it's all silly because here we are, like it or not. Personally, I'd recommend just going with it, as a general rule of life. Things change all the time.

Oct 19, 2013
I agree that it's not so cut an dry. When people are talking about turn based like it's a relic from the past, this is more of a result of TB fans turning this into some kind of a territory war. Most of the people who are OK with the changes aren't necessarily pro-ARPG so much as they aren't anti-change, and some of the more vocal complainers about the state of TB are absolutely just stuck in the past as well. It makes it easier for conversation purposes to just assume the role they've designed for me, though. Frankly, I have no problem with turn based games, and this conversation isnt' even REALLY about turn based vs ARPG in the first place.

It's fundamentally about people wanting things not to change versus people who don't mind change. Lot's of people getting caught in the wake, but that's what it is at the core. This *does not* mean that turn based itself is a relic of the past. It means that the feeling people are trying to capture is, if that makes any sense.

So, there will be plenty of people that aren't so averse to change that will get caught up in this on the anti-ARPG side even though they aren't, as well as plenty of people (like myself) who very much enjoyed the old way that are also just plain excited about whatever comes next. All in all, though, it's all silly because here we are, like it or not. Personally, I'd recommend just going with it, as a general rule of life. Things change all the time.
Perfectly said.

Sep 26, 2013
Final Fantasy always being fresh and innovative is what has allowed it to survive for this long. X-2 was not different enough to really mention it, the only game that was different was XII and now XV.
High production values is what has allowed it to survive and keep going. It's practically the reason why Final Fantasy VII was a huge success when it first released and has been consistent with every other mainline entry ever since. Imagine a Final Fantasy game today with low production values and how everyone would react to it.

Final Fantasy is no different then any other AAA game today. People invest in a Microsoft and Sony home console to specifically play cutting-edge software because that's how both XBox and PlayStation brands are marketed. Consumers expect bigger and better and Final Fantasy is a part of that club.

Why are people so hyped for Final Fantasy XV? They're hyped because of how amazing it looks. From visuals to gameplay, the production values seem to be top notch.

I think as long as production values are at a high level, how Final Fantasy performs in the west should be fine. Doing different things then what previous Final Fantasy games have done I think is a non-factor. If change is good and it works well, then I would like to think that the number of people who will shit on Final Fantasy XV will be much smaller then the number of people we saw shitting on Final Fantasy XIII was.

That said, Japan is the concern here as mobile dominates that country and the home console market is garbage. They seem to value different things then the west does.

This *does not* mean that turn based itself is a relic of the past. It means that the feeling people are trying to capture is, if that makes any sense.
Is it really? I think there's a certain value in at least in partially recapturing the "feeling" (or "spirit", if you want a less personal term), but the way certain people want to go about it irks me. There is a - in my opinion, false - assumption going about that sounds like this, "'A' was part of this thing I liked back then, and now I don't like this thing anymore, so the lack of 'A' is clearly at fault", a postulate that is more brought up in video games than any other medium (see also: "There aren't any 'game overs' anymore"), but is a correlation that oversimplyfies things more often than not. (Of course, this is largely in relation to mechanics. Artistic context was always a matter of personal reception and the argument holds more strongly here.)

The point that I'm trying to make here is thus: There is no "formula" to "recapture feelings" and thinking that "element 'A' is prerequisite for emotion 'B' or a 'spirit' trying to be evoked" is preposterous. Any modernization may or may not do so as well and, depending on "player response", works or doesn't.

In the case at hand - FF XV - that means we have to judge the game on our own and who knows... maybe that "spirit" (or "feeling") isn't so dead.