Final Fantasy XV is not planned to be released in segments!

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I'm gonna try my best to enjoy this game. But if I can't spend 3 weeks playing this games after waiting all this time I doubt I'll be satisfied. Tabata can direct a good game but I'm not a fan of his methods and plans he's brought up thus far. Friendly fire? 40 hrs that might not be able to be extended? 4 playable characters with a odd extra one (cor)? The likely lack of moogles, cactaurs, tonberries, and other FF regulars? It's gonna take some time to let go of all the high hopes I had. But hopefully after this and type-0 they go back to making less realistic FFs again that are like FF9. For now though this is what it comes to.
  • Friendly fire has been in virtually every Final Fantasy game.
  • 40 hours is huge, and of course it can be extended, the game is what you make of it.
  • Cor is an additional character, yes, and there might even be more, we don't know.
  • What do you mean the lack of moogles, cactuars and tonberries? Did you not see the cactuar lamp in the E3 trailer? Do you not see the familiar FF enemies from past games in the TGS trailer?
You are ridiculous man, straight up ridiculous, this game is everything it was promised to be so far.

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
  • Friendly fire has been in virtually every Final Fantasy game.
  • 40 hours is huge, and of course it can be extended, the game is what you make of it.
  • Cor is an additional character, yes, and there might even be more, we don't know.
  • What do you mean the lack of moogles, cactuars and tonberries? Did you not see the cactuar lamp in the E3 trailer? Do you not see the familiar FF enemies from past games in the TGS trailer?
You are ridiculous man, straight up ridiculous, this game is everything it was promised to be so far.
The thing I hope is that they maintained the airship (absent on its classical form since IX). Because at the moment they've been talking a lot about the Car, but not of over ways of transport.
The good thinks is that, apparently, we recovered the world map :)

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
The thing I hope is that they maintained the airship (absent on its classical form since IX). Because at the moment they've been talking a lot about the Car, but not of over ways of transport.
The good thinks is that, apparently, we recovered the world map :)
Well, we know that airships do exist in the game, and an airship is something you normally unlock later on in the game as well.
Also, take a look at this from the TGS trailer last year, an extended version of the E3 trailer months prior.

You can clearly see a small interior of this airship, and looks like you'll have to jump in it. This doesn't confirm anything, but honestly I think it's pretty safe to say at some point later in the game you'll be able to fly an airship.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Well, we know that airships do exist in the game, and an airship is something you normally unlock later on in the game as well.
Also, take a look at this from the TGS trailer last year, an extended version of the E3 trailer months prior.

You can clearly see a small interior of this airship, and looks like you'll have to jump in it. This doesn't confirm anything, but honestly I think it's pretty safe to say at some point later in the game you'll be able to fly an airship.
Good eye! I forgot about that. Now I'm convinced the demo will end with an airship hoho.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
To me 40 hrs is good but kh1 was 30 hrs and people said it was short. And in an interview Tabata said there wasn't gonna be any fan wanted stuff added in what he saw as a shallow thing. I read it on gematsu. I'm not complaining for complaining's sake. So there's no need to just insult me and write me off. Doesn't everyone have things they like and wouldn't yall be hurt if those werent in the game. What I gathered from all the interviews I read alot of the trademark FF stuff might not be in it. I'm afraid it won't be there. But I'm not insulting anyone so why am I being treated like I am?
When I talk of cactaurs and moogles and stuff I mean them alive and walking the earth. Not toys in the background. We're all cautious about this game. I'm a gamer and fan like yall. Just because I'm sad about something doesn't make me a troll.

Last edited:

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
@KOKAYI5 No you read it wrong. He was basically saying that while there will be old FF stuff in it, he doesn't want to include it for the sake of fanservice when it wouldn't make sense (which I consider a jab to Toriyama). Not that there wouldn't be any.

I just think people are overreacting way too much and jumping the gun here. Tabata is kind of cut from the same cloth as Nomura and Type-0 is definitely not devoid of such classic FF gags. Here:
“In creating a new game, if you throw in familiar elements just to please the fans, it gives an impression that we’re very shallow. I’m very careful that. With each element of a familiar Final Fantasy icon that I include, I have to think about how it applies to the setting of the particular Final Fantasy numbered title, and make sure that it’s there because it’s necessary. In Episode Duscae, there is a sort of surprise element incorporated toward the end.”

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Everyone should calm down. Kokayi has the right to express his dislikes and opinions just as anyone can express their love. There is no harm done, even if someone is overreacting, people react to different situations in different ways. At least try to be decent and consider their feelings you know!

It's not like he wrote a death threat to Tabata and Square Enix because he's not happy with what he's hearing lol. All you should be doing is show him what's right if he has he's facts wrong, no need to be harsh or insult anyone! :)

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Of course, I'm not sure why anyone here would want Final Fantasy XV to be the worst. I want it to succeed as well. But there are tons of reports and confusion going on! He sounded like he was misinformed, there's no need to jump on Kokayi. I know some people feel they don't but look at his last reply in this topic, he said "insult" and asked why is he being treated as he is. That sounds like he was hurt.

I'm not trying to play Jesus reborn here, and yea this is the internet. That still doesn't mean I should allow people to be bashed and bullied in front of my very eyes. I'm sure the majority of us here wants FFXV to be awesome! :)

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I can't stress enough that I don't hate Tabata vision. I liked Nomura, but I don't believe he can do no wrong. Both guys have excellent ideas. I'm worried, not hating that game before it comes out.

To me and ideal FF would be to mix together a battle system from FF9, with characters drawn by Nomura, with music Uematsu, and a story by the writers of FF6. And all of that on PS4. Or in the case of a Action RPG, mix in Advent Children style action, KH2 gameplay, and a deep dark story, but not based in real-life or down-to-earth.

But they don't do that anymore. They try to re-invent the wheel with each game. And each time they either alienate old fans or confuse new ones. Or burn thru a budget and just cobble together a game with what they were able to finish before it dried up. And as the years march on and I push 30, I see things fading from the series. Just like other JRPGs faded away after PS1 or PS2 days ended. Limit breaks are seldom seen, and when they're there people often say they're unneeded or too hard to set-up to activate. Summons often don't speak anymore, often aren't hugely apart of the story, and the Feymarch isn't even referenced. The games are still good, but don't they ever think: "Hey! We can mix old with new! Old battle system and world map, with new graphics, story telling!"

If I'm wrong, and FFXV is a love-letter to FF fans, then I'm sorry. But I had to get it off my chest. I just wanna play good JRPGs again. But the hoops we have to go thru and rollercoaster ride of emotions trying to figure out the industry and the companies I like. It's just a chore and it gets old.

Last edited:

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
You should feel free to express all your concerns and such about anything Kokayi! The good thing is we will be getting a demo voucher with Type-0 so that is very exciting, we've all been waiting for this moment for a very long time. 8 years. We would all be able to understand the game better then. :)

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I can't stress enough that I don't hate Tabata vision. I liked Nomura, but I don't believe he can do no wrong. Both guys have excellent ideas. I'm worried, not hating that game before it comes out.

To me and ideal FF would be to mix together a battle system from FF9, with characters drawn by Nomura, with music Uematsu, and a story by the writers of FF6. And all of that on PS4. Or in the case of a Action RPG, mix in Advent Children style action, KH2 gameplay, and a deep dark story, but not based in real-life or down-to-earth.

But they don't do that anymore. They try to re-invent the wheel with each game. And each time they either alienate old fans or confuse new ones. Or burn thru a budget and just cobble together a game with what they were able to finish before it dried up. And as the years march on and I push 30, I see things fading from the series. Just like other JRPGs faded away after PS1 or PS2 days ended. Limit breaks are seldom seen, and when they're there people often say they're unneeded or too hard to set-up to activate. Summons often don't speak anymore, often aren't hugely apart of the story, and the Feymarch isn't even referenced. The games are still good, but don't they ever think: "Hey! We can mix old with new! Old battle system and world map, with new graphics, story telling!"

If I'm wrong, and FFXV is a love-letter to FF fans, then I'm sorry. But I had to get it off my chest. I just wanna play good JRPGs again. But the hoops we have to go thru and rollercoaster ride of emotions trying to figure out the industry and the companies I like. It's just a chore and it gets old.
I understand your passion for the series and what you want, however in order for a series running this long to do well, it needs to innovate and change, or else it will stagnate and become stale.

I believe XV is a love letter to the FF fans, and there's nothing wrong with you having your opinion, I'm sorry if I came off rude before, it wasn't my intentions, just how I talk sometimes when I'm speaking out.

I play FFXIV, the MMO, and it's an amazing game and feels like a Final Fantasy game all the way. I have lots of fun, and I'm constantly looking forward to the upcoming patches with all the new content. The only FF game I've been disappointed in is XIII, so to me, hearing your stance on this doesn't make sense... as if FF has had a long history of disappointment. However, some people don't like XII or X, and so it really makes sense when you think about it.

I don't believe XV is going against your vision of what a FF game should be, I believe it a modern day classic Final Fantasy game; as if this is how they would do it if they made those games today. This is just my opinion however, you are free to have yours.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
BTW, I know things have changed, but moogles were confirmed to be in the game a couple of years ago (they will look like those in Type-0, according to Nomura). I think you've assumed way too many things, but I don't know.

And well, after calming down about the battle system, I'm actually excited to see how it works, despite still being dissapointed about the change.

However, my hype would only return to its previous level if they confirmed more playable characters (and I know I'm really repetitive, but man, it really bums me). That's the only (and for me, huge) thing that keeps me from being half as excited as before, because almost absolutely everything else I love.

And yeah, FF has to evolve (and I say this as a IX and VI fanboy) and especially not force us on a full generation of the same mainline title. I've already said it, but since 2009 I haven't had faith in the mainline series (unless Ito helms XVI), not to even reach PS2 levels (PSX and SNES are way too high for current SE). But I know I'm being way too cynical, basically because we haven't seen a new FF non-MMORPG idea since fucking 2006, and that's sad.

But this game was/is special, because it looked/looks like a mix of many many things I love, and among those things are FF basics (especially after XIII's blunder). So I don't think XV will lack them even with the change. It can be a mess, a nice game or (hopefully) something that gives me faith in SE once more, because it has the elements needed for it.

And BTW, you have to remember that XV is NOT shaping the future of the series. For all we know (and it's actually likely, and not only if we believe Verendus' words), XVI could be medieval and much more traditional in terms of gameplay. Even returning to turns/ATB!

The problem is that SE is a total clusterfuck, and so they're taking too long to show fans what they're going for in the future, and many people tend to think thus that XV is going to be trademark of the series from now on.

Leonhart

PSICOM Soldier
The problem is that SE is a total clusterfuck, and so they're taking too long to show fans what they're going for in the future, and many people tend to think thus that XV is going to be trademark of the series from now on.
That's a good observation. People forget that XV is Versus XIII and Versus XIII is a game planed in 2006. Soon this idea will be TEN YEARS old. It feels fresh because we don't had the opportunity to play it yet.
We don't know if the future of the series will be shaped based on XV, maybe XVI is complete different (and I think it will be). I think S-E will launch XV and XVI and see what people want for the future.

The only thing I know is that XIV: ARR is their "most recent vision" and It's a great game and a gift for the true FF fans...
If you don't had played it yet you should give it a chance... Play the trial and you will no be disappointed.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
That's a good observation. People forget that XV is Versus XIII and Versus XIII is a game planed in 2006. Soon this idea will be TEN YEARS old. It feels fresh because we don't had the opportunity to play it yet.
We don't know if the future of the series will be shaped based on XV, maybe XVI is complete different (and I think it will be). I think S-E will launch XV and XVI and see what people want for the future.

The only thing I know is that XIV: ARR is their "most recent vision" and It's a great game and a gift for the true FF fans...
If you don't had played it yet you should give it a chance... Play the trial and you will no be disappointed.
Yeah, I kind of get people going crazy because they don't like this direction for the series, but that's because of not having had a new take of the offline mainline series in almost ten years. I'm sure that XVI will be much different, too.

Whether I have high or low hopes for the future of this series, it's always a joy being introduced to a radically different world. Which is one of the many reasons I hate XIII and its sequels. FF is about change, whether in setting/story/characters/art or in gameplay, so you shouldn't take ten years to have a new one.

Regarding XIV, I might one of these days try it, but unfortunately I don't like MMORPGs or online gaming much, so :/ Although I've heard that you can pretty much solo the main campaign, so I'll see!

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I understand your passion for the series and what you want, however in order for a series running this long to do well, it needs to innovate and change, or else it will stagnate and become stale.

I believe XV is a love letter to the FF fans, and there's nothing wrong with you having your opinion, I'm sorry if I came off rude before, it wasn't my intentions, just how I talk sometimes when I'm speaking out.

I play FFXIV, the MMO, and it's an amazing game and feels like a Final Fantasy game all the way. I have lots of fun, and I'm constantly looking forward to the upcoming patches with all the new content. The only FF game I've been disappointed in is XIII, so to me, hearing your stance on this doesn't make sense... as if FF has had a long history of disappointment. However, some people don't like XII or X, and so it really makes sense when you think about it.

I don't believe XV is going against your vision of what a FF game should be, I believe it a modern day classic Final Fantasy game; as if this is how they would do it if they made those games today. This is just my opinion however, you are free to have yours.
That's fair. I'm just gonna wait for the demo and just play it. Maybe when I have it in my hands it'll start feeling right. I don't want every game to be like FF9. But I want them to go back to that style once in a while. I still see Type-0 as an FF too. All the best of FFs are in it (only played JPN demo and couldn't understand it of course). If it's like Type-0 minus the missions and army stuff I'll still love it. I can accept change in FFs as long as they don't forget where they evolved from. Hell, FFs needed to evolve or we'd never have sweet martial arts and magic shown in dramatic theatrical scenes like we do today. So I know it can't just stay like the 16-bit stuff. I just want them to sometimes do like those old games but with mature stories and graphics of today.

And BTW, you have to remember that XV is NOT shaping the future of the series. For all we know (and it's actually likely, and not only if we believe Verendus' words), XVI could be medieval and much more traditional in terms of gameplay. Even returning to turns/ATB!

Man! You guys always know what's going on on the net?! How do yall hear about FF16 rumors? If it really is like something like FF6, 9, or 4 I'd be psyched. But I'm not against modern style FFs. I just don't want them to let go of the "fantasy" of it all. Tales games often walk the middle ground of mixing modern, science, and fantasy in a story. Wild ARMs games did too. But right now a lot of games often go all-in in on direction or another. I hope SE can walk the line in the middle and not make a... I don't know.... Mass Effect knock off. No need to abandon fantasy for hyper realism or pure sci-fi is what I mean.

Leonhart

PSICOM Soldier

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Man! You guys always know what's going on on the net?! How do yall hear about FF16 rumors? If it really is like something like FF6, 9, or 4 I'd be psyched. But I'm not against modern style FFs. I just don't want them to let go of the "fantasy" of it all. Tales games often walk the middle ground of mixing modern, science, and fantasy in a story. Wild ARMs games did too. But right now a lot of games often go all-in in on direction or another. I hope SE can walk the line in the middle and not make a... I don't know.... Mass Effect knock off. No need to abandon fantasy for hyper realism or pure sci-fi is what I mean.
Hahaha, I just browse Neogaf often! (especially if it's a XV thread :p). I don't have a lik right now, but yeah, in a XV thread Verendus basically implied that it was going to be fairly different to XIII, that in 2013 it had a male main character and that it's already past pre-production stage (I might be getting this last one wrong).

He seems to be well regarded there and knowing how strict mods are... I think you could believe him, yeah lol.

And yes, something similar to IX, whether in its medieval or steampunk-ish setting, would be amazing. No heavy mix of settings like in XV, purely fantasy, a return to basics in as many aspects as possible (as long as they're well implemented), just like IX was. If I had to bet, I would bet that :p