1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Final Fantasy XVI Discussions (TBA)

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Discussion' started by Skye, Oct 18, 2013.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. All Hail King Bimpy

All Hail King Bimpy Yevonite

I would like FF16 to enter a new genre. Here are a list of big genres: http://bestfantasybooks.com/fantasy-genre.php

FF10 series was very different, FF12 went back to the traditional era of FF1-6 except higher exploration of its premise, FF 13 was very different, FF15 was very different, and I hope FF16 is something new.

Gameplay wise I have no idea but whatever it will be please not some variation of turn base. I am playing Pokemon Moon and Digimon Cyber Sleuth right now... oh god I have no patience for these slow as snail animations and loadings. Also more real time dialogue than text boxs. It really brakes me from the immersion. its messed up how i am forced to pause so someone else can speak

2. Hey Everyone

Hey Everyone ShinRa SOLDIER

It will probably be an action RPG like FFXV, I also think FF17 will be an action RPG considering how successful FFXV seems to be.

Storm likes this.
  3. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

I think it'll follow a lot of leads from FF14, be made by that business division, and be directed (or at least co-directed) by somebody who has never had such a large scale role on FF before. In following cues from FF14 it'll be a linear game but with larger, open zones, probably similar in structure to the upcoming Mass Effect, which is a sort of open-world-but-not halfway house.

h00aoj likes this.
  4. Hey Everyone

Hey Everyone ShinRa SOLDIER

I suspect it will take some gameplay cues from FFXV

5. h00aoj

h00aoj Balamb Garden Freshman

I wish they use (and improve) the open world structure they used in XV, and go back to the art style of IX good old fantasy world =P

6. Storm

Storm AVALANCHE Warrior

i think now is the opportunity to refine the solid foundation of FFXV.

most of the franchises that consistently managed to get great scores just refined their formula; it's ok to change from time to time, but one title doesn't need to be completely different than the other all the time.

SonOfEtro and Nova like this.
  7. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Chocobo Knight

The only thing I really wish for FFXVI is a not-fucked-up development cycle. I can deal with anything they come up with in regard to setting and gameplay, but for the love of God I hope they learned something from the development of XV... and XII, XIII, XIV.

Storm and SonOfEtro like this.
  8. SonOfEtro

SonOfEtro ShinRa SOLDIER

I don't think they could entirely help it. XII should have come out at least a year before it did, and probably provided a base for XIII's development as the series' PS2 finale - the illness of Matsuno forced some major changes. XIII was then shifted forward onto a new-gen engine that they weren't ready to use. As to XIV, I'll admit that they were behind the times and using an already-flawed development style and an engine unsuited to MMOs.

9. Edge

Edge Balamb Garden Freshman

I really want XVI be developed by business division 5 ( XIV ) and use the assets of XIV.

XIV has massive amount of contents.

Noctis_Caelum and LeonBlade like this.
  10. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

I want FFXVI to be developed using the Luminuous Engine (after years of investment Square better put it in use) so by extension BD2 would develop it + in colaboration with another S.E BD.

Nova likes this.
  11. h00aoj

So true. It will be very intresting years to come, to see if they can shorten the development time for FF titles.
    I read in some interview that FF7 remake is using some standard game engine like Unreal or something - maybe SE changed their business strategy to use standardproducts instead of selfdeveloped engines?

12. h00aoj

FFXV uses that engine....

13. SonOfEtro

SonOfEtro ShinRa SOLDIER

True, but even Crystal Tools got more than one game out of it. It was used in the XIII sequels, XIV (although admittedly that was a bit of a disaster), Versus (scrapped and switched for Luminous) and Dragon Quest X. Ironically, the one non-FF game that used this FF-centic engine appears to be the only game that's managed to use it successfully.

I would prefer they used Luminous for the next FF. It's a complete engine that can now be adjusted and has a mean they know works rather than being an in-development variable. They could possibly play around a bit more with the scenery if they brought in transitions to battle arenas, whether they went with turn or action-based.

Lulcielid and h00aoj like this.
  14. Jenova

Jenova ShinRa SOLDIER

XVI should be made with Unreal Engine 4 to save the future dev team any woes. Luminous caused them too many headaches.

15. BladeRunner

It's kinda funny you made this post right after calling for not jumping to conclusions about Nomura in the other thread.

People online love to act like LE was some unmitigated disaster, but it's mostly just a conjecture. It had some development troubles, but you can't really know how big of a hurdle the engine is, especially now that it's actually finished.

16. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

The headaches were part of the process of being an indevelopment software, we're already pass that point.

17. Jenova

Jenova ShinRa SOLDIER

False equivalency. Not the same since there have been many sources that can be cited sharing that Luminous was difficult to work with and made even more difficult by having to create a game and an engine at the same time. You also see SE moving away from Luminous with their other titles such WoFF, KH and VII remake. It's not an "unmitigated disaster" since that's hyperbolic (your words), but clearly better game engines exist that can deliver a similar or superior quality product than Luminous in seemingly less time.

Moreover, comparing the mis-characterization of a flesh and blood human being to a game engine? Ridiculous.

18. Infest

Infest Chocobo Knight

I don't have any particular wishes regarding setting/battle system/main characters/whatever, I'm ok with pretty much everything as long as it's executed well. I just hope it'll end up beeing a cohesive product which doesn't suffer from a troubled development like every mainline game did since X.

SonOfEtro and Storm like this.
  19. BladeRunner

When it was unfinished.
    Because it was unfinished.
    The point is you don't know this.

20. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!