1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Final Fantasy XVI Discussions (TBA)

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Discussion' started by Skye, Oct 18, 2013.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. LeonBlade

LeonBlade Forest Owl Staff Member Moderator Site Staff

It caused them headaches because it was still in development. The engine was developed alongside the game. I wouldn't even say it even caused them headaches. They seemed to have a working engine in place for a while, it was just optimizing for consoles that became the main issue. If you have realistic art direction under the specifications of your target platform from the beginning (something FFXV wasn't able to do) you could easily create a game that runs very well with Luminous Engine.

XV is evidence that even as the first game using this engine, it runs with great performance pretty much 90% of the time.

2. SonOfEtro

SonOfEtro ShinRa SOLDIER

That's even more impressive when you remember a large portion of it is open world. XIII may have run smoothly, but that is probably more due to its linear structuring - to make Nova Chrysalia work in LR, they needed to modify the engine and downgrade the graphics.

Jubileus, LeonBlade and Storm like this.
  3. Nova

Nova AVALANCHE Warrior

Especially with the amount of tech they managed to pull off, as well as managing to pull a straight upgrade towards the visuals during the 2 month delay after how disasterous they were during Gamescom.

Jubileus, LeonBlade and SonOfEtro like this.
  4. SonOfEtro

SonOfEtro ShinRa SOLDIER

This scene from Nioh went live through Koei Tecmo's account. It's the kind of thing I could easily seen adopted for an FF setting. It's like two future close allies or friends on their first awkward encounter. Things like this are what FF is missing at the moment, I think.

5. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

Make a great - and more important, greatly told - story with relatable characters and an interesting world to be thrown into. That's what got me (and probably others too) into FF in the first place. Do what you want theme-wise, but just as a word of advice: The bigger and bolder you want to be with your themes, the more conservative your structure has to be.

SonOfEtro likes this.
  6. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Could you explain this? I don´t understand the exact logic.

7. llazy77

llazy77 Sphere Hunter

8. SonOfEtro

SonOfEtro ShinRa SOLDIER

I think they mean a necessary balancing act between what you want to do with gameplay and what you want to do with story/themes. Example: XIV eventually goes into some interesting and often deep/grand thematic stuff while sticking within the conventions of the MMO gameplay, while XV went big and innovative on gameplay while keeping its core themes relatively simple. An example of this not working is XIII: it tried to go big on both its themes and its gameplay, but each ended up compromising the other in some way. WoFF kept both simple to cater for a younger audience, and it works of that younger audience.

@AnGer-dono, if I've got this wrong, please correct me.

It's a different department, so I wouldn't be too sure. SQEX has multiple Business Divisions now: 2 worked on XV/Type-0/Agito, 1 is working on properties such as VIIR/KH, 3 worked on WoFF. I think there are eight or ten divisions, so they could be delegating another division to working on the concept, and when there's more resources available, they'll have a workable premise and (if they're sensible) a complete engine which they can use, which should speed up dev time no end.

AnGer-dono likes this.
  9. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

@SonOfEtro: You're not far off, but I was talking more in terms of narrative structure, though FF XIV is a good example. So FF XIV starts with the Adventurer's arrival (Inciting Incident), then Act 1 moves from there to, I'm going to say, the point where you are first introduced as a member of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. From that point onward, Act 2 begins and Act 3 is essentially the last set of story quests (post-50 for ARR main game). Granted, there's more story a priori to the adventurer arriving in one of the City-States, but if we integrated that, we would be starting every book at Big Bang. This is the most simple of narrative structures and the most established one - you have a narrative start (which, in the case of FF XIII would be the awakening of Vanille and Fang until... either the beginning of the game or the fal'Cie fight at the end of Chapter 2), a narrative mid-section (for FF XIII until the end of Chapter 11) and a resolution (Chapters 12 & 13). What FF XIII however did was to relegate the scenes from the chronological start to scenes strewn about Act 2 - depending on what you define as the end of Act 1, there might be something in there as well - which really wasn't a good idea, to be honest. In medias res can work - Final Fantasy pulls it off a lot of times and most of the times supremely well - but at least attempting to establish who (some) of the most important characters are and what their goal is, is an important thing to give some context. You can still go big with the themes and the gameplay, but the actual story structure should remain relatively simple to make it work.

SonOfEtro and Storm like this.
  10. ScienceNonfiction

ScienceNonfiction ShinRa SOLDIER

I want FF XVI to be a musical.

11. NoctisX21

NoctisX21 Yevonite

Playing FFXIV again, any advice to which server to choose?

12. Storm

Storm AVALANCHE Warrior

depends in which country do you live, i'd choose the populated ones

13. NoctisX21

NoctisX21 Yevonite

Yes but i have no clue just want a server with mixed people. I`m from germany but I`m italian and well I speak also english^^ any advice?

14. Storm

Storm AVALANCHE Warrior

i'll post the reply on the XIV topic

15. Hey Everyone

Hey Everyone ShinRa SOLDIER

My predictions of a Final Fantasy XVI are:
    1. It won't release this generation I'm thinking they will try to get what they can out of the previous Final Fantasies like the 7 Remake, XV(whether this means DLC, Kingslaive game, Versus XV, or a XV-2 remains to be seen), X-3, and whatever spin-offs they can produce for the PS4/XBOX/PC/NS
    2. It will be an action RPG similar to well selling Final Fantasy XV
    3. It will be turned into a trilogy similar to FFXIII, and FF7 Remake?
    4. It will use Luminous Engine, as they have probably been working on something called Luminous Studios Pro?

16. Hey Everyone

I think you mean Final Fantasy Versus XVI.

17. llazy77

llazy77 Sphere Hunter

Lol bro you funny.

18. Hey Everyone

You know what fuck it Final Fantasy Versus XV should be a trilogy of games.
    Titled:
    Final Fantasy Versus XV
    Final Fantasy Versus XVI
    Final Fantasy Versus XVII

Starring Noctis, Ignis, Gladio, Prompto

19. SonOfEtro

SonOfEtro ShinRa SOLDIER

Now this thread is officially getting ridiculous... Quite amusing in its own way.

There I must disagree. SQEX is trying to move away from the long development cycles ala XIII-to-XV, and the longest reasonable time they've spent on a project is four years (well within a standard console generation unless Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft go completely mad). Plus, they wouldn't want to waste the Luminous engine they have now if they can afford it, they have said XVI doesn't have to be an ARPG regardless of sales/reception of XV, and I think they'll be leaving XV roughly as it is barring the DLC updates - that's why they made Brotherhood/Kingsglaive in the first place, so they wouldn't have to create a series of games.

20. Hey Everyone

This console gen is going to be prolonged due to the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio, as well as the Nintendo Switch, honestly if what I've heard about FFXV was true, the higher ups and development didn't have faith in it, they thought it would have been torn the shreds, and Luminous isn't cheap to develop for, in fact I wouldn't be suprised if Kingslaive costs less to make than FFXV. If FFXV sells well enough can we honestly say knowing Square's track record, they will simply leave FFXV with DLC, when they can instead just fill the gap from this gen to the next gen with XV sequels or this fabled Versus XV I'm having my doubts. I'm thinking if they kept to Nomura's trilogy and the game didn't perform as well as expected it would have looked worse on them if they didn't finish it, as opposed to just releasing one game with a complete story you know?

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!