1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Final Fantasy XVI Discussions (TBA)

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Discussion' started by Skye, Oct 18, 2013.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. ScienceNonfiction

ScienceNonfiction ShinRa SOLDIER

I think you mean Final Fantasy Versus XVI÷CCCLVIII.8 Days

llazy77 likes this.
  2. llazy77

llazy77 Sphere Hunter

I hope FFXVI is good...

3. Hey Everyone

Hey Everyone ShinRa SOLDIER

Directed by Tetsuya Nomura.

llazy77 likes this.
  4. DrBretto

DrBretto AVALANCHE Warrior

I don't think Ilazy realizes that you're making fun of Nomura, lol.

Hey Everyone likes this.
  5. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

Nomura is perfect for the job.
    ...until Ito takes over.

6. Hey Everyone

Hey Nomura can probably direct Final Fantasy XVI, Tabata only took over because Nomura was taken off the project to direct something Square had more faith in(FF7 Remake)

7. Hey Everyone

I'll be honest though if it wasn't for Tetsuya Nomura I probably would have never gotten into Final Fantasy.
    I was intrigued with Versus XIII, and I loved Kingdom Hearts, so when FFXV got announced in 2013, I decided you know what? I'm going to play some FF games to get ready for FFXV, to get some knowledge of the place you know? Hell if it wasn't for Nomura I probably wouldn't have even played FF7(one of my favorite if not my favorite FF game)

8. DrBretto

DrBretto AVALANCHE Warrior

Oh, I have no problem with Nomura at all. I think everything people are saying about him being a bit disjointed is totally true, I just don't count that as a negative. He's a creative type that needs an anchor to keep him grounded. That's perfectly fine and plays into people's strengths. The only problem with Nomura is his seniority puts him in the director's seat and he should be, at most, a creative director instead. Some people, especially creative people, need someone grounded to keep from floating off is all.

But, I do think it's funny that Ilazy has become this born-again Nomura worshipper and didn't realize that you were poking fun at him, so he liked your post thinking you were agreeing with him. I find that funny.

9. Hey Everyone

TBH I think tha Nomura's FFXV would have been fine, and tbh I'm kinda tired of this director war, Tabata vs Nomura nonsense. Both are great directors, tbh I think both were fucked over by Square's management, but I understand Square's side though KH3, and FF7 are popular brands that they could potentially make more money on, with FFXV after FFXIII's reception from buyers, along with it's sequels and the disaster that was FFXIV 1.0, and them not having anything for FFXV, I understand why they chose Versus. Honestly I think that FFXV's story did need a trilogy to be a told or at the very least two games. It would be nice to see if Nomura still wants to do something FFXV related whether it be a sequel or a Reboot/Earth-2 of FFXV/Versus XV, I mean i'm fine with the changes but I understand why some people wouldn't be, I mean looking at the Versus XIII stuff it was well done, what they showed, same with 2013 trailer, and you know what? If a Versus XV happens, if Nomura is done with Kingdom Hearts, and has the time for a Versus XV then you know what? I say to Square go for it, I mean It would be cool if they are thinking about it or maybe talked to Nomura about it. If it doesn't happen I'll be a bit disappointed, but not in the way of Nomura vs Tabata, but more of, I would like to see more Chocobros in a way cuz those guys are amazing, and I love the combat system of FFXV.

10. AnGer-dono

Question: How would people react if XVI (or any mainline Final Fantasy game) would utilize a cel-shading style instead of the more "realistic" graphics style used right now?

I think it would be worth a try.

11. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

FFVII used that style, I'd be ok.

12. Hey Everyone

After FFXV a lot of people would go WTF Square

13. AnGer-dono

I'm used to being Whiskey Tango Foxtrot'ed by Square Enix, they have so little to surprise me with in that regard. ;D

14. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Chocobo Knight

Personally, I would love it, but it would probably alienate many fans, especially the new ones.

15. Hey Everyone

I really hope future mainline FF titles just improve upon the Active Cross battle combat and ditch ATB all together, or better yet make the combat like KH 1 or 2 like what Versus XIII was going to do. Use ATB Combat for the spin-offs or make WoFF a long running series.

16. AnGer-dono

They should design the combat around however their world is structured. Kingdom Hearts combat works best in confined, highly vertical spaces and the games's areas are mostly designed to reflect this.

17. Hey Everyone

Then they should design worlds that way too, or whatever works to give it real time combat.

18. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

I've been saying since basically X that they should use a graphic style that is actually capable of fully capture the character designs in the game.

Especially with Nomura's art: I love his art (the designs, on the other hand, are a mixed bag), although I dislike his current, very sharp and KH-looking style used in games such as Dissidia (mid and late 90's Nomura still the best). Thing with him is that his characters tend to look way too pristine and silicone-like in-game, as well as having clothes and hairstyles that might look alright in a drawing, but when you have to see that in 3D and with a more realistic approach...

Take a look at Tidus: as a design, despite the stupidity of his outfit, he doesn't look half-bad:
    [​IMG]
    And then you see his Meg Ryan face. And how round and lacking in detail everything is. I mean, it's not atrocious, but there surely are much, much better styles for him and the rest of the characters for that matter.

FF XII was so great in that department, what with the stylised graphic look they went for (the kind of hardware limitations they had to endure probably helped here): Yoshida's designs were important, too. FF XIII is another like X imo, while XV is much, much better in that regard but you still get very awkward and stupid-looking characters such as younger Noctis (he looks good in concept art and in the anime, but not in-game (to me, at least). All it took to fix him there was non-embarrasing clothes and a normal enough hairstyle, Nomura!).

So yeah, although I'd rather a different, more unique style (like XII), cell-shading wouldn't be automatically bad and could be even good considering how poorly these concepts can translate into the game: remember that "cell-shading" is not just one unified look, but rather an approach. It cool look similar enough to DQ VIII, Ni No Kuni... or something completely different and, say, more complex and realistic.

I think that the next game is going to look kinda like Agni's in terms of character modelling style (so, pretty much like XV). How it's going to look depends on the artistic style of the characters and world themselves.

Storm likes this.
  19. Storm

Storm AVALANCHE Warrior

they should do a cel-shading game with amano's artstyle

instant win

Tornak likes this.
  20. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

Oh, man, fuck yes. It won't happen, his art is very hard to actually translate into 3D (I'm guessing. There's a CG film) and it would look weird to most people, but I would fucking love it.

Actually, if you don't get Amano back, make the new character and world designers adapt to his style. There are actually quite a few approaches to his style, so it's not even limiting.

There's a New Year's greeting card (I think? Can't find it for the life of me) that Koozek posted some time ago (again, I think?) that featured a female character that looked similar enough in style and clothing to FF VI characters. I hope that's their next style.

Storm likes this.
Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!