1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Final Fantasy XVI Discussions (TBA)

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Discussion' started by Skye, Oct 18, 2013.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

Yeah, that's a good example! I didn't play it, but if if what I remember of that game is correct, I was picturing something like that. A war-oriented FF, with a less modern or futuristic setting (be it Classic era, Middle-Ages, Prehistoric times... or something entirely different) with a fair amount of those unique elements that all FFs have is what I need (VIII has my favourite setting (then, IX), but I could use less advanced worlds for a while).

And indeed: old Noctis is, imo, the best designed main character of the entire series, BY FAR. And he's still a model with a weird hairstyle, so it's not like they went for a grizzled middle-age bearded man to cater to Western tastes. All you had to do was take Noctis' design and give him non-embarrasing clothes and a hairstyle that's realistic enough and not too ridiculous, as the face is practically the same, beyond the beard. Such a shame that this design is wasted like that, if you ask me; Naora did a great job there (and with older Gladio and Ignis, if that was him too).

Hell, Nomura (beyond the, imo, quite flawed default versions of the bros) and Ferrari did a great job overall, barring some silly things in some characters (Cidney's clothes, Ardyn's stupid wing...), so I'd want more of that: the older bros, Cor, Aranea, Luna, both Regis, both Clarus... look pretty good. I'm sure they can make their main characters more like them, while still being young and appealing for both Japanese and Western audiences.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Koozek likes this.
  2. Hey Everyone

Hey Everyone ShinRa SOLDIER

I don't think we are going to see Final Fantasy XVI until 9th generation
    My console timeframe
    Well the PS4 Pro came out in November 2016
    Xbox One Scorpio is coming November to December this year I suspect they would want to give these "new" consoles about a 5-6 year lifespan, I'm going to use the Xbox Scorpio as a reference point.
    (2018(I'm starting with 2018 because that is practically the closest to a full year), 2018+6 = 2024, and that is assuming there won't be another iteration of the PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, because if their is, then this generation could easily extend to 2027 before we get the PlayStation 5.

My SE time frame(This is mainly KH and FF)
    Kingdom Hearts 3(March 2018)
    FF7 Remake Part 1(June 2018)
    Final Fantasy Type-Next(2019)
    Final Fantasy X-3(2019)
    FF7 Remake Part 2( 2019-2020)
    Final Fantasy XV-2/Versus XV-1(?)(2019-2021)
    FF7 Remake Part 3(2021-2022)
    Final Fantasy XV-3(?)/Versus XV-2(?)(2022)
    Final Fantasy XV-4(?)/Versus XV-3(?)(2023)
    Final Fantasy XVI-1(2025)
    Final Fantasy XVI-2(2027)
    Final Fantasy XVI-3(2029)
    A FFXVII might be a trilogy as well, but I'm not too sure

Dissida FF Console/PC Port(2017-early 2018)
    I could also see Final Fantasy XV sequels/prequels( whether it be a Versus XV trilogy, or something else entirely) being a test bed for a more improved version of Luminous Engine, so it can be made ready for Final Fantasy XVI.

My predictions for Final Fantasy XVI:
    They will make a trilogy out of it like Final Fantasy XIII
    The combat will be real time action based like Final Fantasy XV
    Directed by Ito or Tabata
    Platforms: Steam, and the Next PlayStation obviously, not to sure about Xbox, or Nintendo though.

3. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

Tabata, after taking a big break (while supervising the DLC efforts), is apparently tackling on a new IP, so I wouldn't expect him on XVI or Type-1 (beyond, maybe, a producing role or a "special thanks" mention).

Out of the big names of the series right now, it's between Ito and Toriyama. If god wants to further torture us, Toriyama is the one, although I feel that, if Ito is ever going to do something this big again, it's going to be with XVI. Regardless of that, he will still be the director candidate with the biggest talent and knowledge of the company (Kitase isn't directing anymore, it seems, and he's got some big messes in the latest years).

I also really doubt they're, again, making trilogies out of their games. Or, at least, I would totally hate it: they don't know how to make sequels (if they plan them from the beginning, it might be different, but I doubt it) and I absolutely abhor the idea of a mainline FF having sequels. I'm very tired of seeing the same fucking characters for a decade and not having anything different to look forward to in the series (to a point where I wouldn't have minded that Versus XIII (my most anticipated game of all time) had been cancelled and replaced with a 100% different game that would take the XV mantle).

In regards to dates, I totally see agree with the ones for Dissidia, KH and FF VII-R, but I feel that the XVI one is incredibly conservative. Although I guess it all depends on when they started developing this. In a normal situation and in a normal company, it would have been some years ago, concurrently with XV (with another big team, like the one behind XIV); but, for all we know, they might have just started with it. I don't think this is going to be released after, say, 2022.

And man, FF Versus XV ain't happening. And no way that soon, anyways.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    AnGer-dono and Koozek like this.
  4. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

They need to put it out as soon as possible, early 2020 would be ideal. This brand doesn't need a repetition of the 7th gen, but by all means, if they drag out XV longer than a year and try to play appeasement with the FF VII Remake and teasing FF X-3 (a horrible idea) without showing something new in the works soon, it will be just that.

I have some ideas for XVI in the back of my mind, incidentally, probably will share them later today.

Tornak likes this.
  5. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

Yep! FF has always been my favourite series not only because of the games themselves, but also because of how different these games would be comparatively. If I didn't like "x" that much, at least, in a timely manner, I could be playing a different one.

I surely don't expect the same kind of development timeframe for current titles, as things have obviously gotten much more complex and slower. But I can't see how, now that old ghosts such as FF Vs XIII/XV, FF XIV and FF XIII are behind, they couldn't get into an ongoing schedule where mainline titles could be released every 3 or 4 years (having them being developed concurrently would make that possible). That's why I despise the XIII trilogy as much as I do: they're alright games (with some great things such as core lore concepts, music or battle systems), but we've been since 2006 with the same characters, world and general gameplay mechanics, as XV was essentially announced back then: ever since XII itself, they haven't been able to have normal development cycles, and that incidentally creates an unnecessary fatigue sensation.

Now that FF VII-R is in the equation, I'm not so sure of how things might go from now on. And yes, share those XVI ideas! Speculating can be fun.

Koozek and Storm like this.
  6. Hey Everyone

TBH at this point, especially after the FF7 Remake, I wouldn't doubt them making trilogies of mainline FF games anymore, it allows them to reuse their assets and create games in a more timely fashion as opposed to create them from scratch and recoup development costs on Luminous Studios Pro, and work off the popularity of an existing franchise within their mega franchise, but I also suspect that if Final Fantasy XVI was a trilogy, FFXVII could be one as well possibly(depends on how well XVI is taken) I would suspect they will put it in between part 1 and part 2 of FFXVI. I also added the XV sequels/Versus XV(It's an either or scenario), because it allows them to reuse assets from FFXV create 2 to 3 games out of em, and work off a popular franchise, where as a Final Fantasy XVI, you would have to create a lot of the assets from scratch, and build popularity from the ground up(or close to it), and it will be using the same engine XV sequels or Versus XV could be a good way to improve and test the engine, while selling games. I also put it in the 2019-2020, because Nomura should be done KH3 in early 2018, and part one of the FF7 Remake mid 2018, as well as the assets being done, and I wouldn't find it hard to imagine that BD2 aren't the only studio that know how to use Luminous Engine, so a Versus XV/XV Sequels or Prequels using the old assets, and a concept that is proven to be successful isn't a huge stretch, I also put them soon, because they shouldn't take a superb amount of time to create, like 1-2 years due to the assets being there however I'm not on the dev team and they might need to create some new assets. I think that XVI is pretty low on Square's priority list right now, and what gives credence to this is the leaker that got the FFXV plot spot on said that FFXVI will only happen if XV does well.

7. AnGer-dono

So then, Ideas. I'm making a list because it's shorter:
    • World Map is back, has no encounters (à la Chrono Trigger)
    • Individual sandbox-y areas with enemies roaming freely, area shape varies from flat plain to strongly vertical, connected by world map
    • Combat ist based on FF XV's AXB, but evolved - controllable character can be chosen at any point, no Game Over if group leader falls.
    • Combat can also be instigated by using ranged weapons or magick.
    • Enemies can be defeated by area interaction - use an oil barrel to set them ablaze or use bombs to start an avalanche to swipe them away.
    • Six types of magick: White; Black; Green; Time; Shadow and Blue
    • 9 characters in total - Fencer/Red Mage; Alchemist/Machinist; Paladin; White Mage; Black Mage; Dragoon; Hunter; Ninja/Thief; Monk/Blue Mage
    • Characters have personal "jobs"
    • Additional abilities can be taught by "linking" two characters in battle, i.e. being "linked" to the thief can unlock the "steal" command
    • not all abilities can be learned by everyone - some characters are more geared towards magick or special skills, others towards combat, i.e. the Paladin can't learn black magick or the thief how to use a shield
    • Blue Magick is learnt by using a skill on enemies to "steal" their Chi
    • Partner AI is controlled by FF XII sytle Gambits, individual orders can be given via button prompt or opening a command menu
    • Quests can be given by talking to (unmarked!) NPCs and inquiring about their plight, some sort of "Guild" or accidentally stumbled upon - either by encountering an enemy or finding an object (in the latter case, not all objects relevant for quests may be marked as such)
    • Quest outcomes can have direct and indirect consequences - i.e. failing to save a lost boy in the woods means there'll be a tombstone for him in his village
    • Design inspirations: Honestly, I can't think of anything - other than to go nuts with the locations.
    • Maybe Central Asia would be a cool inspiration?
    • Main character: Investigator - has general knowledge of the world, but is partly unfamiliar with some details of the core plot, stakes gradually become more personal (think of a detective story)
    • Referential "real" time-frame: ~18th-20th century (pre-WWI) Earth - technologically advanced to have some sort of machinery, but not fully mechanized, mostly still agricultural outside of major civilization centres
    Any thoughts?

Tornak, Koozek and Hey Everyone like this.
  8. Hey Everyone

I would mix the AXB with the Kingdom Hearts 2/FFVII Remake battle system
    Setting/art style: I think they should try and go for something FFXIII-esque say what you will about the game, but the art style was pretty dope

9. AnGer-dono

Eh, they could do that. But, they should do it properly - one flaw I find XIII has is that it failed to commit to being either a full-on fantasy or SciFi setting. Now, that's a tightrope one can walk (VII, VIII and X succeeded), but XIII... didn't. I think they should aim for something more traditional fantasy-esque, to be safe.

10. Hey Everyone

I think that had more to do with the story than the art style itself if they can mix the two, I don't see the problem, but then again, I'd probably be alright with them setting FFXVI in the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos. For me my wishes are for FFXVI
    Mix of Sci-Fi and traditional fantasy
    Mix of AXB, and Kingdom Hearts 2 combat
    A highly diverse cast of characters
    A Trilogy

11. Koozek

Koozek ShinRa SOLDIER

You mentioning WW1 reminded me of how much I would like a FF in a Shadow Hearts-like "Alternate History" setting, which plays prior and in midst of WW1 in the real world, but with daemons, magic etc. Such a cool setting. The Shadow Hearts series is so good. If you haven't played the games on PS2, check them out!

Incidentally, Tabata said he would love to make something like that one day:

"Siliconera:
    It does feel quite like a historical documentary. Why is it that you wanted to make a game in this style?

Tabata:
    I personally love history and I really wanted to create something that involved real history, but to include some modern evaluations into the storyline and express it in that light. I wasn’t able to do everything I wanted to do with Type-0, but it was kind of like a child-run in essence. I wanted this to be a test to see if it would be received well by players.

Ultimately, I do want to create something based on real history—a Final Fantasy game based on real history, for example. For example; you’d have the American Civil war as a back drop, and then behind the scenes all of these Final Fantasy-type characters are utilizing their special abilities to fight. I really love that kind of setting. That’s the kind of game, I really, really want to make!"

Tornak likes this.
  12. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

You know what to do:

*Koozek travels to Japan*
    *Koozek reaches S.E headquarters*
    *Koozek finds Tabby*

Koozek: Tabata-sempai, could you direct that hystory FF game you wanted and make it into XVI?
    *Tabby blushes*
    Tabata: I...Don't know..
    Koozek: Onegai!!
    *cues dramatic music + sakura petals flowing on the backfround*
    Tabata: I...I WILL DO IT!!!
    *victory fanfare*

Storm and Koozek like this.
  13. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Chocobo Knight

Tabby be like "I-It's not like I wanted to make it or anything!"

14. Koozek

Koozek ShinRa SOLDIER

[​IMG]

15. T.O.T

T.O.T Clan Centurio Member

FFXVI will have Chocobos. If not, I will glady take an L.

16. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Chocobo Knight

Square should contact Lady Gaga and base the next FF villain on her.

17. Hey Everyone

I think they shouldn't, this idea is about as good as having Final Fantasy XVI be a sequel to Kingdom Hearts 3 I'd rather Final Fantasy not touch Lady Gaga with a 10 foot pole.

18. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

What about Ariana Grande, though? She's already more canon than Stella, after all!

Storm, Hey Everyone and Nova like this.
  19. T.O.T

T.O.T Clan Centurio Member

[​IMG]

Storm, Noctis_Caelum and Tornak like this.
  20. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

[​IMG]

Storm, Noctis_Caelum and T.O.T like this.
Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!