Games you couldn't bring yourself to finsh

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Because of reasons. Maybe you didn't like the game. It wasn't your type or something like that.

For example, I couldn't finish Ninja Theory's DmC. I just played it for like, 2 hours or something? It just wasn't my type. Dante looked like a prick. I didn't like the world. The combat was alright, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it; something that's very rare for me.

What are yours?

May 26, 2014
Huh. I loved Okami on Wii. I don't remember having any problems with the brush controls either. Weird.

Anyway, some of mine are:

Dragon Quest V - Found it to be boring from early on, kept hoping it would get better but never did really. So I think I stopped about 1/3 of the way through it.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - Neither story nor gameplay held my attention. Got bored pretty early on. I don't even like SRPGs that much, but I thought I would like this game. Guess not.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I was really excited for this game, but it didn't meet my expectations. Couldn't see it to completion.

Watch_Dogs - my interest span ran out, and Aiden hasn't yet unlocked the skill to hack into my brain and top it up. It is a very competent product, sure, but despite its boasting of a unique game mechanic that sets it from the myriad of other open-world games, it falls short on the sticking power. Missions devolve into repetitive business, despite the early promises, and the usual Ubisoft main dish of tailing never fails to elicit a groan. Add to the fact that the narrative is unpromising, unremarkable, and laden with Aiden, who is an unlikeable jerk anyway.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope - it fascinates me how a game with a promising battle system as this manages to exhaust my patience about over halfway through. Ordinarily, I would not permit a game from putting me off if at the very least I enjoy the gameplay, but the culmination of everything that the characters say, do, and the plot they revolve around succeeded in doing just that. I don't wish to say it is a bad game whatsoever, but it simply rubs me the wrong way.

Sonic Chronicles - BioWare creating a Sonic RPG for the DS that lifts inspiration from JRPGs. Why not, I asked? Lord of the Rings: The Third Age was basically FFX set in Middle-Earth, and that turned out surprisingly well. Unfortunately, it gave us instead one of the most unengaging RPGs I've ever played, with an irritating touchscreen feature that I had enough of several hours in.

Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light - ugly, slow, dragged down by an insipidly dull narrative, and mountains of backtracking. Plus I already know that it has no real ending anyway, so screw trying to finish this game.

The Witcher - it devolved increasingly into a chore to slog through. I enjoyed wandering through a medieval Slavic city, and meeting a range of truly unpleasant characters was always fun, but it fails to be fun. The combat is rarely anything more than a fancy QTE session with the occasional stance switching and the employment of a few Signs. I simply don't enjoy RPGs without a party of various skills and abilities to manage and customise whatever the situation. Where is the fun in battling the hordes of evil as a lonesome man who has little tangible personality to speak of?

FFIV: The After Years - this was on WiiWare, and you would have to pay money for individual episodes. I quickly realised this was a blatant rehash of FFIV with some new faces, so I immediately aborted the idea of paying anymore money. Disappointing.

Prince of Persia (2008) - this one I can't remember why I stopped.

Kim Kardashian Hollywood thingy on iOS - what do you mean Kim Kardashian gets to enter my character's Beverley Hills store AFTER closing time, get one-to-one help finding a dress for tonight's vague social event, AND walk away from the store without paying a dime?! Immediate uninstall. I'm not standing for that.

Sep 26, 2013
Kim Kardashian Hollywood thingy on iOS - what do you mean Kim Kardashian gets to enter my character's Beverley Hills store AFTER closing time, get one-to-one help finding a dress for tonight's vague social event, AND walk away from the store without paying a dime?! Immediate uninstall. I'm not standing for that.
I hate how successful this game is. :mad:

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Star Ocean: The Last Hope - it fascinates me how a game with a promising battle system as this manages to exhaust my patience about over halfway through. Ordinarily, I would not permit a game from putting me off if at the very least I enjoy the gameplay, but the culmination of everything that the characters say, do, and the plot they revolve around succeeded in doing just that. I don't wish to say it is a bad game whatsoever, but it simply rubs me the wrong way.
Ah, nice observation. I finished the game mostly because I needed to, not because I wanted to. It wasn't a bad game overall, but it was the first time I felt the urge to throw the characters to a live volcano.
F*** you, Edge Maverick. F*** you, Lymle.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I hate how successful this game is. :mad:
How DARE you even call it a GAME!!!!

I have some games I've played half way through (most of them JRPGs) and got too busy and can't continue on that I either already went back to finish (like FFIX) or have every intention to finishing it (like Persona 4 Golden). That said, there's one that the mere thought that I have to go and finish the game is a dread... wait for it...

Final Fantasy VIII...

I'm sorry, but I don't like the cast at all, I do not like the weapon system, I do not like the draw system. Coming from a huge Final Fantasy fan, I can not say how much I don't like the game. And don't even have me START to talk about Squall!

That said... I know I'm very VERY close to the finish and I still have the save... or did I already finished the game because I did remember watching the final cutscene (could be from youtube though). Anyway, yes, Final Fantasy VIII. Final answer.

Last edited:

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Final Fantasy VIII...
I'm sorry, but I don't like the cast at all, I do not like the weapon system, I do not like the draw system.
Same here. At first I hated Squall but I grew to like him. Even more when he was in KH games. But in FF8 the cast wasn't for me. And neither was have magic that working like items. I'd get a sweet spell like Meltdown and run out of it. I have to try to remember where it game from. It's mechanics like that and puzzles that made me start making my own guides for when I replay games. So I don't get stuck in the game part. Remember the water puzzles in Xenogears and Xenosaga E2? Stuff like that. The worst thing more that most of the cast of FF8 was the last dungeon though. To this DAY, I've never beaten Ultimecia. I get to her last form and die. I do that like 5 times then quit. Someone called me stupid for getting all my characters to 99 to beat her on my 3rd time trying to beat the game, because apparently like Romancing Saga that game get harder the stronger you are. I never knew that.

And I'm not a meat head. I didn't just tackle bosses by hitting them hard or ODing/spamming limit breaks or summons. I tried to make real tactics around my playthrus. But I was young. The castle had that spell that prevented you from doing most stuff unless you went around killing bosses. Item-like magic. Few favorite characters (Quistis, Squall, Edea, Kiros & Laguna). Too much card stacking against it. So yeah, I gave up. I'm just a man. Well then, a teen. The best thing about the game were Squall's limit breaks and the lunar tear idea and how they basically made a fantasy world hi-tech witch hunt out of the plot. I always got a Salem Witch Trial feel from the plot.

EDIT:
I liked Star Ocean The Last Hope. Faize, Edge, and Arumat. But it was full of too many moe girls. More of them should've have serious personalities even if they were gonna be cute. I like anime stuff, but there's a limit to everything. There's one argument between Faize and Edge that seems well voiced and has a lot of passion in it. I respected that moment the most.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
EDIT:
I liked Star Ocean The Last Hope. Faize, Edge, and Arumat. But it was full of too many moe girls. More of them should've have serious personalities even if they were gonna be cute. I like anime stuff, but there's a limit to everything. There's one argument between Faize and Edge that seems well voiced and has a lot of passion in it. I respected that moment the most.
Faize is perhaps the least offensive character in the game, save for Bacchus (if that's his name). Arumat is the only one I even liked at all.

Prince Naphtali

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 23, 2013
The legend of zelda wind waker: having to search for the triforce pieces wasn't fun. Star ocean the last hope: Characters and battle system weren't interesting or fun. So far FF9's ok, I just don't like the art style, story or the world. Assassin's Creed1.

Nikolasvanitas

Chocobo Knight
Sep 27, 2013
Greece
www.youtube.com
Star ocean 4 The Last Hope,I like SO3 but I just cant stand some of the characters in the last game,especially the females
I really want to finish this game since the combat system is great but I always give up once all the members are gathered

darkbahamut

Balamb Garden Freshman
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
One that comes to mind is Dark Chronicle (or Dark Cloud 2 in the US), and this is because I could not get far into the second dungeon because of how restrictive the game felt. I like how games limit useful abilities, etc., to prevent them from being too powerful... but this game seemingly put a limitation on everything, which really took a lot of the immersion away for me. Coupled with the little focus on character growth (increasing health didn't happen often), I just became less motivated to play it. Which is a shame because I thought that there was a lot of potential, considering how highly reviewed it was.

Maybe one day I'll give it another chance.

May 26, 2014
Ah, how could I forget! I never actually finished FFXII! I played it around the time it first came out, but due to a bunch of real life stuff I never found the time to finish it. I do want to beat it eventually though, so I'm thinking of getting back to it soon. (With a new game, of course. It's been years since I've played it.)

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
I couldn't finish Star Ocean 4, and I played the PS3 version, even... it crossed the line from campy-stupid to stupid-stupid after the "Alternate Earth" scenario, and shortly after I met that insufferable winged glasses girl I decided it would be best to never play again, lol. I could tolerate the child thing, but I wanted to plow through glasses chick's face with a lawnmower, she was that annoying. :p

I have a huge backlog of games I've simply gotten sidetracked from finishing or even starting so it isn't worth mentioning those.