Giving the XIII Saga a new chance.

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
Okay. First, I don't know why I'm writing this, but I feel that it's some kind of duty from my part because of all the bashing I've made to this XIII Saga.

I've decided It's been a good while since the last I played (without beating it) Lighting Returns or any of the other two games on PS3. Now that that game is going to be released on Steam, and that I already have XIII and XIII-2 on that platform, I'll try the three games again, but this time I'll try to do it in a passionless way, so that I can get to measure those games for what they are and not for what they 'should have been compared to the rest of the franchise.'

I do it because I think it's a just thing for that game. Square Enix has always tried to try new things with every title, and with XIII they seem to have tried a little too much. We were very passionate when that game released, as we are passionate for this franchise as a whole, but I want to try the games again so I don't stay with this sour taste in my mouth. There's a lot of hate shared within the Final Fantasy community (we're watching that now with the yet-to-be-released FFXV) and I don't want to stick to that. So I'll play those games again on my free time (with Japanese dubbing this time! Yay!) and I'll try to enjoy them for what they are.

I hope this works o.o

Peace to all of you!

Edit: Redaction.

Last edited:

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I am VERY joyed to see this, probably more excited than I should be.

Anyway, with all game series I love, Final Fantasy, Tales, Pokemon, Tekken, etc etc. I am able to enjoy each game, and I am happy to be able to look back and say I had a good time each game. I mean I'd imagine being a fan of a series is because fans like that they become fans of, but why do I see so many hate topics? Not here but many places, what Pokemon do you hate most, What Final Fantasy is worse, Blah blah blah, how about celebrate the series? My advice to you, for what I do with the series I love, is to play each game for their own experience, each game is basically a standalone title, you will find flaws, but also find the positives and enjoy this experience for what it is. ;)

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Maybe someday I'll be able to sit and beat Lightning Returns. But I find it so jarring. I could beat XIII and XIII-2 again if I wanted to, but not LR.

Nov 3, 2015
This is great to see OP! I always say that people should go back to games they initially didn't like and I'm glad you are going back to the XIII games. I personally enjoyed all of them and I am excited to hear what you think. I had a really good friend who wasn't that into VIII and just a couple years ago we were talking and VIII came up and I told him to just go back to it and he did and its one of his favorites. A few years after a games release and replaying it I think gives you a different perspective outside of the hype and pressure. I go through all the FF's every few years and I always gain new insight and discover things and its always a lot of fun!

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
Little update:
I'm already almost 10 hours into FFXIII (my third playthrough of this game) and I must say that, thinking about the game objectively, it isn't that different from other games. Old, classic Final Fantasies like FFIV, FFVII and FFVIII are very linear in the sense that you MUST go from point A to point B to advance the story and that they give you the illusion of freedom by opening a (very bare) world map where you can go wherever you want, and FFXIII does that too. The problem with FFXIII is that it lacks the illusion of freedom. It's a more honest game in that sense.

Not that I like walking the hallway through most of the game, but I think I'm beginning to understand why this team took this decision for this game: they had no idea what they were facing with the first HD generation and it just took them by surprise, so they tried to do the best t hey could to create a Final Fantasy game, even if that meant to abandon the concept of cities, physical shops, talkable NPCs, etc.

FFXIII is a very bare-bones JRPG, but it also has a lot of good things.
Hell, I'm enjoying its music. I could listed to it everyday.

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015
Little update:
I'm already almost 10 hours into FFXIII (my third playthrough of this game) and I must say that, thinking about the game objectively, it isn't that different from other games. Old, classic Final Fantasies like FFIV, FFVII and FFVIII are very linear in the sense that you MUST go from point A to point B to advance the story and that they give you the illusion of freedom by opening a (very bare) world map where you can go wherever you want, and FFXIII does that too. The problem with FFXIII is that it lacks the illusion of freedom. It's a more honest game in that sense.

Not that I like walking the hallway through most of the game, but I think I'm beginning to understand why this team took this decision for this game: they had no idea what they were facing with the first HD generation and it just took them by surprise, so they tried to do the best t hey could to create a Final Fantasy game, even if that meant to abandon the concept of cities, physical shops, talkable NPCs, etc.

What do you find good about it so far?

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
What do you find good about it so far?
Mmhhh...
First, of course that the graphics. It may be a seventh gen game, but it's a very beautiful seventh gen game. If you want to try a gorgeous game, then it is your choice. And attached to it, I must say that the style of the game is growing (little by little) on me: the Crystal Tools engine managed to create great, uhm, crystal effects, and some of them make the game look even more beautiful at some levels. Of course, if you want a mature game where you can feel you're playing something for adult, go play Dragon Age, The Witcher or something else. This is not that game.

And so far that may be what I'm liking the most from FFXIII: it's a innocent adventure. The game tried to tell a mature story about rejection, trying to find your place on the world and all that anime cliches, and I don't think (at least, not today) that they succeded at that; but if you just want a serviciable story that'll make you enjoy your time --specially if you're not excepting a legendary game-- then this is your place.

In short, what I'm liking right now is that this is a good escapist game: you wanna relax for a while? Go play FFXIII.
Of course, I'm sure that wasn't what the developers of the game intended, so they failed at that. But I'm here, trying to find good things on this game. This is what I've found so far.

Btw, I'm really liking the Lightning character from THIS game. It's a shame they changed her from XIII-2 onward. In XIII she feels human (anime human, but human nonetheless).

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Little update:

I think it's good that you tried to go back and give it another go as a fan, even if you would have (disappointingly) still loathed the game I would still have to give you respects for even trying, while most just find it easier to go online and complain about a nearly 5 year old game. Also I can agree with you, I said it before FF13 held the players hand a bit to much. I still found reason to love the game for what it is though.

Nora_Nightingale

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 7, 2015
This game generally speaking gets a bad rep, I think. There are certainly worse main-line entries, and I'd actually say some much-loved fan favourites (IE VIII) are worse overall on balance, even if they're better in places.
Out of sheer curiosity which Final Fantasy game was worst than XIII on every account? or half at least?

Personally, XIII gets what it deserves. For gameplay, i get bored easily, but that isn't what makes me want to hate a game. I always bring this up but if anyone sees "Everything wrong with Final Fantasy XIII" on youtube...it focuses primarily on story.

Also, i'm curious to know what good tihngs can you say about the story overall?

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
The plot of the Lightning Saga may have been absolutely atrocious, but there is a glimmer of hope in the gameplay aspects of Lightning Returns. I implore those who haven't played it yet or who have dropped it to give it a chance. If you really get into the groove of the battle system, it can and will be extremely rewarding with additional playthroughs. It's a real crime the entry gets overlooked because of its lackluster predecessors.