Hajime Tabata wants to make Final Fantasy XV "more casual, one button action"

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
This gif here basically tells you you can button tap.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SelfassuredShinyIlsamochadegu.gif

Attacks twice ( stops the combo, because the text next to Nocts name disappears for a split second then he attacks again), Confirming that he did let go mid combo before doing 1 additional attack, and then dodging.
But if they're building the system around holding, I doubt you can get the same attacks if you press it three times instead of holding 'till you get three attacks. I'd say it would perform the initial attack, not allowing to perform combos (or even switching weapons, now that they seem to be automatic...). That, of course, it's just speculation.

Now I'm a bit more open about this, even if I'm still very mad about this change, basically because it's what we've known and seen for so long.

But seriously, do you think that we won't be able to switch characters? It's something I will repeat until they clarify this xD, but if they REALLY force you on Noctis, this game goes from 100 of hype/interest to less than 50. And I'm not even kidding, I really ain't.

Is there not a way to prompt an answer regarding this? :(

PS: I don't think he presses the button in that gif, he just continues holding it and moves the joystick to the right. But I could be wrong.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
This gif here basically tells you you can button tap.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SelfassuredShinyIlsamochadegu.gif

Attacks twice ( stops the combo, because the text next to Nocts name disappears for a split second then he attacks again), Confirming that he did let go mid combo before doing 1 additional attack, and then dodging.
But if they're building the system around holding, I doubt you can get the same attacks if you press it three times instead of holding 'till you get three attacks. I'd say it would perform the initial attack, not allowing to perform combos (or even switching weapons, now that they seem to be automatic...). That, of course, it's just speculation.

Now I'm a bit more open about this, even if I'm still very mad about this change, basically because it's what we've known and seen for so long.

But seriously, do you think that we won't be able to switch characters? It's something I will repeat until they clarify this xD, but if they REALLY force you on Noctis, this game goes from 100 of hype/interest to less than 50. And I'm not even kidding, I really ain't.

Is there not a way to prompt an answer regarding this? :(

PS: I don't think he presses the button in that gif, he just continues holding it and moves the joystick to the right. But I could be wrong.
As far as your question to using more than 1 character and the rest is complete AI. I honest think you will be able to use all of them. Even in the picture I posted in the Tech demo eng subs thread says to try to switch to another character ( Tabata says to the player holding the PS4 controller) The frog came in because Tabata use Debugging tools to show off the Puddles, he didn't really wanna show the frog, the frog happen to be there LOL.

To answer your question I am 99.9% sure you can use other characters, the .01 percent is if they really deviate from what most FF games do. He even said, he wants to add as much FF like elements to the game. It's pretty obvious that he will have every character in the boy band playable :p.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I just want to play as Noctis and run and jump and dodge roll while hitting rapid combos and dropping Thunder spells. And as a limit break warping all over dragging swords thru my foes. If its not gonna be an action rpg like kh 2 then I've dream of a game that was implied but will never happen. I'm sure the story will be fun but I wanted a battle system I loved done in a dark way but still with a ff spin on it. Maybe it's time to just stop reading anything about the game and just play it when it comes out. No more forums chats or interviews or vids. Just a physical game. I should just put this game out mind till its in demo form or done.

Is this still gonna be an action rpg? It sounds like FF12 now.

Last edited:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
As far as your question to using more than 1 character and the rest is complete AI. I honest think you will be able to use all of them. Even in the picture I posted in the Tech demo eng subs thread says to try to switch to another character ( Tabata says to the player holding the PS4 controller) The frog came in because Tabata use Debugging tools to show off the Puddles, he didn't really wanna show the frog, the frog happen to be there LOL.

To answer your question I am 99.9% sure you can use other characters, the .01 percent is if they really deviate from what most FF games do. He even said, he wants to add as much FF like elements to the game. It's pretty obvious that he will have every character in the boy band playable :p.
I hope you're right, but if this was true I think they'd already have said so and not being so vague. It'd be just plain stupid changing the battle system to one more similar to FF and removing a feature so important in the series. If they do that, the game would be (at the moment) dead to me. And that would be sad since this was my most awaited thing in one of my favourite hobbies by far.

I've though about asking this on Twitter, but 1) they won't answer, I'm sure, and 2) I'm sure some people have already done it.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Think Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy Type-0.

It's nothing like Kingdom Hearts anymore.
I guess that'll be okay. But since I don't like Disney I really wanted a dark KH game with no Disney in it. That's what I wanted this to be. I feel bad for Nomura. It was his idea and now people are mocking him all over even more than before. I hope KH3 at least becomes what he wanted.

If it was up to me here's how I'd set things up for playing Noctis (don't know all the powers for the others so I can't decide on their controls).
Square = block or dodge roll if in motion
Circle = Jump
X = attack, tap for combo, hold for heavy hit
L1 = equip magic spells use (*hold to pause action to change spell with a list pops up at on screen, what you release on on the list will be fired off when un paused)
R1 = equip skill use (* see above)
R2 = toss sword to warp
L2 = limit break
d-pad = sub menu open, action paused, in sub menu select items or which summon to call, or change tactics
option(on ps4) = pause, quick save, camp menu
R3 = camera
L3 = movement

And to keep any of this from being mindless hacking I'd have AI option set up in the camp menu, as well as assign which character can use which items (if I want them to not use elixir but use potions I can set that there. And foes in battle would have lots of things to figure out. By checking the number damage you can tell if you're doing poorly on a foe. So attack from behind, the sides, above, or only with an elemental weapon/spell.

Also I'd make it so that the clothes they wear are their armor. The fabric is enchanted with crystal energy so you upgrade it's strength by going to shops and buying shards to up def, magic def, and ailment proofing.

Sep 26, 2013
Theres nothing wrong with that.
There probably isn't anything wrong with it. But it seems to me that most of this disappointment comes from people expecting Final Fantasy XV to have a Kingdom Hearts battle system and they're not going to get that. That's what is ticking people off right now. Eight years of waiting only to hear that the battle system is not what they thought it would be? Yeah... Who wouldn't be ticked?

It's basically a case of someone promising something and then breaking that promise.

This is just a good example of why you don't talk about games so early in development either. Things change. Things get scrapped. A lot of the information we had before TGS is pretty much outdated now.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
There probably isn't anything wrong with it. But it seems to me that most of this disappointment comes from people expecting Final Fantasy XV to have a Kingdom Hearts battle system and they're not going to get that. That's what is ticking people off right now. Eight years of waiting only to hear that the battle system is not what they thought it would be? Yeah... Who wouldn't be ticked?

It's basically a case of someone promising something and then breaking that promise.

This is just a good example of why you don't talk about games so early in development either. Things change. Things get scrapped. A lot of the information we had before TGS is pretty much outdated now.
Yeah. A lot of people still see XV as Versus and it is there fault down to the logo change back last E3.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
I admit that I did get pissed off at that point. Now all is well. :chocowalk:
Well, SE brought themselves to this mess. They should be learning from their mistakes..... Hard.
I only hope they don't this sort of thing for their next numbered FF title.
They probably don't want this ever. Can you imagine the cost of this title as a whole?

If Verendus is to be believed, XVI is into development so that they can tackle these beforehand.