How RPG do you like your games?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
So, this thread is just based around a question I've been pondering - I've realized that my enjoyment of pretty much any kind of game can be improved by the introduction of some RPG elements.

I enjoy the Zelda games that are more RPG-like in structure more for instance, and Dead Rising has grabbed me where, say, Resident Evil did not thanks to its levelling up and progression. Then there's games like Dark Souls - ostensibly action games but with RPG elements that go right to their core, or things like Borderlands, that are a mix. I feel I even enjoyed GTA5 more with the RPG elements of Michael, Franklin & Trevor each being good at different things, than I did playing the jack-of-all-trades Niko in 4.

How RPG do you like your games, Mognet? And how do you feel about RPG features proliferating and infiltrating every genre and sub-genre?

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Without leveling systems or grinding requierements, and no random battles
What I like about Zelda is that I'm allowed to ignore all thpse annoying monsters because I don't need to level up.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
Pretty much all the games I love most are RPGs or have elements of them. Even my favorite otome series is an RPG hybrid instead of a plain visual novel, with wandering around maps and battling and boosting stats.

And Rune Factory showed that you can mix fantasy RPG elements (battling, leveling etc) into Harvest Moon and make it fun or even better, too. Though admittedly I wouldn't want HM itself to have RPG stuff in it.

I actually like stuff that requires some strategy or grinding, as long as it isn't excessive. I micromanage my games to hell and back when given the opportunity. Which is probably why I also enjoy sims and puzzles.

Xodus

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jan 2, 2014
Temple, Texas
I pretty much like a hybrids of things when it comes to my rpgs. What I could do without is a game where the grinding is force upon you (i.e., you actually have to stop gameplay to make sure you get a decent enough level by grinding to continue on). Western RPGs tend to do a good job with grinding balancing I think. I would LOVE to see more gameplay like Xenosaga though with tons of side-quests to do. That tends to be the kind of games I go for.

gaiages

:<
Site Staff
Sep 26, 2013
Florida
I like the feeling of progression, and leveling up is the easiest way to show that. It's way I like, say, the Metroid-vania handheld Castelvanias over... whatever the series is doing now. And what it did before Symphony of the Night, too.

Really, any form of progression or customization (not asthenic... like branching skill trees and whatnot) are welcome to me, and most of those methods tend to be associated with RPGs. I don't, however, have much tolerance for a long grind anymore (too many games, not enough time syndrome), but other than that, RPG it up!

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I think for me it's the feeling of progression but also the feeling of properly 'owning' a character. RPGs put you in the boots of a character in a much more real way, I guess. Which makes sense given the role playing moniker!

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I like the Disgaea type RPGs, with insane amount of levels and dmg indicators, I would love to see a more serious game with those elements, Rainbow Moon has a lvl 999 cap and the battles are grid based, but the story is almost nonexistant, and it's pretty lighthearted as well.

I like the Disgaea type RPGs, with insane amount of levels and dmg indicators, I would love to see a more serious game with those elements, Rainbow Moon has a lvl 999 cap and the battles are grid based, but the story is almost nonexistant, and it's pretty lighthearted as well.
Those are some of the hardest core rpgs I play. Disgaea I mean. I had a feeling Rainbow Moon wanted to try its own western spin on an srpg

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
It's pretty slow to start, but it gets pretty fun, and I havent had to grind yet, though the difficulty spikes randomly with enemies that can inflict multiple status effects from across the battlefield

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
Might be the first time I saw it in a SRPG then, in every Disgaea game I had too much fun and unwittingly grinded so the story levels were easy as heck.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
Salvatore in Disgaea 3 for vita gave me trouble when I played it. I went to grind a bit to prepare but got distracted and forgot what i was doing, so I started her map without thinking. This was the story mode map, not to unlock her as a unit.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I went "Oh F***" when I realized what I did, lost 5 units by the time the map was cleared except for Sal. used all the items I had, used any buffs, and went all out. She took out 3 before I beat her, good stuff. Tooting my own horn here but the the plat for that game is unbelievably fulfilling.