I have played a large chunk of FF15. AMA.

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Sort of a gimme, but good to know!

I have to think that they had one all ready to go for Gamescom but pushed it back along with the decision to delay.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Double jumping in XV doesn´t make too much sense (combat-wise) for me because as Warp Strike and warping mid air (as shown with the airstep sword in Platinum Demo) already allows you manuever around big enemies.
The only scenario where I can see it (maybe) working would be for climbs in the terrain.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Double jumping in XV doesn´t make too much sense (combat-wise) for me because as Warp Strike and warping mid air (as shown with the airstep sword in Platinum Demo) already allows you manuever around big enemies.
The only scenario where I can see it (maybe) working would be for climbs in the terrain.
Being able to double jump means getting a lot of verticality without needing to get into an attack. You'd need to see it in action before jumping to conclusions. I can think of many ways it would be useful.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I'm now back from Gamescom and will hit this thread hard, answering anything. Give me a few!

Oh, and RE Leviathan -- here's what I can say for sure:
  • There wasn't any additional VIP treatment/closed doors stuff at Gamescom. I saw everything there was to see of FF15, or so I was told. There were interviews with Tabata, and hands-on with the same build I played at SE's offices weeks ago. The hands-ons were limited to 20/30 minutes rather than the 4+ hours I got. Another one of ours, @Rennifuu, played it for that allotted time. There was only one FF15 room in Square's part of the business area, and it was dedicated to the interviews.
  • I didn't encounter a summon in those first three chapters, though I did encounter a book that seemed to list the gods of the world, and that matches up with what I would theorize is a list of major summons in the game (with one omission).
  • I reached Duscae, but Ramuh didn't appear to be in the place he was in the demo.
On fighting Leviathan, that strikes me as a bloody obvious 'prediction' to make really since we already know Levi is in the game and we already know you fight Titan; it'd make a lot of sense if Noctis battles each summon before acquiring their power (which would also explain Ramuh being moved).

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
What I heard from my inside source who played the game at gamescom I asked him some questions and this is what I got ( I can ask more if you want to know anything else)
1. You can swim but cant dive
2. You can drive the car offroad you just have to get it out of the forcefield (which takes 5 seconds)
3. Game looks worse than duscae but better than pd
4. You can use guns
5. You can fight with Iris (for side quests)
6. There was 1 more minute of chapter 0 we didn't see
7. Npc's have their own schedule
8. There is a train you can ride
9. Xbox and PS4 both ran 30 fps 90% of the time.
10. There is double jump but it will take alot of Ap to learn
Want to address some of these:
1 - correct
2 - nope. If you somehow get the car outside the road, the game stops you and teleports the car back to the road.
3 - I'd agree with this.
4 - Admittedly didn't see it, but I understand this as correct. I did use a turret ala the base infiltration trailer.
5 - Didn't see it, but I have no idea how they'd have seen this at Gamescom considering they limited the demo to 20/30 minutes at the show and Iris doesn't show up until at least 3 hours in, during Chapter 3.
6 - Chapter 0 in the Gamescom demo and my hands on appears exactly as it does in the video (walk forwards > each of your comrades helps you successively, introducing them > 'let's go' > fade to white. My understanding from how it was explained by PR is that this is the very beginning of the game as it will appear in final.
7. True, yeah. Day/night cycle determines what NPCs get up to - or at least seemed to. There's no traffic at night, people go inside at truck stops, etc.
8. Having completed the entirety of the Gamescom build start-to-finish (the game kicks you back to the start once you beat Chapter 3), there is no train in this build. Is your friend psychic? (I would not be surprised to see a train in the final game.)
9. Not even close. Both versions hover in the mid 20s at best, at least right now.
10. I didn't take detailed notes on abilities but I did make note of an ability that is called "airstep" and allows you to 'take a step in mid-air after dodging', which is double jump-esque. I don't remember seeing a double jump, though I could happily be wrong on this. The main note I took on abilities is that there were 29 in total in the build.

I'm very curious how your friend came into having some of this info, unless they just played the 30 minutes and are having some very wishful thinking beyond that. Either way I really wish people wouldn't make these statements as it just hypes people up for things that might not be in the game, which in turn makes people angry when they aren't (like the Iris thing: if this information spreads and then she isn't a party member people will be disappointed even though SE promised no such thing).

Last edited:

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Thanks @APZonerunner. You may be covering these topics soon enough, but:

- Were there any topics off limits for Tabata? I'm getting the sense that -- Stella notwithstanding -- there is far more of Versus in the game than they're letting on (the whole "eyes that see the light of expiring souls" thing in the magazine). Of course, I could be wrong too -- and it won't matter if the game is great.
- How old was the build you played?
- He seems to be confident that the visuals and performance will be up to the desired quality by the November date. Did anybody get to talk about specifics?
- Did you get to try combat with aerial enemies?
- How much of the invasion was woven into the first few hours of the game?
- Did you happen to see any flashbacks with kid Noctis?

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
10. I didn't take detailed notes on abilities but I did make note of an ability that is called "airstep" and allows you to 'take a step in mid-air after dodging', which is double jump-esque.
How so, out of curiosity?

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Tabata said that FFXV is 'Leading edge' and he want FFXV to make other games run in fear?
After playing the demo, do you get the feeling that FFXV has these factors?

Vampire91

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 26, 2013
-Did you encounter a significant, or even acceptable for FF standards, number of cutscenes or was the story excessively sparse in the way it was presented to the player?
-Can Noctis swim without the use of a chocobo?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Want to address some of these:
1 - correct
2 - nope. If you somehow get the car outside the road, the game stops you and teleports the car back to the road.
3 - I'd agree with this.
4 - Admittedly didn't see it, but I understand this as correct. I did use a turret ala the base infiltration trailer.
5 - Didn't see it, but I have no idea how they'd have seen this at Gamescom considering they limited the demo to 20/30 minutes at the show and Iris doesn't show up until at least 3 hours in, during Chapter 3.
6 - Chapter 0 in the Gamescom demo and my hands on appears exactly as it does in the video (walk forwards > each of your comrades helps you successively, introducing them > 'let's go' > fade to white. My understanding from how it was explained by PR is that this is the very beginning of the game as it will appear in final.
7. True, yeah. Day/night cycle determines what NPCs get up to - or at least seemed to. There's no traffic at night, people go inside at truck stops, etc.
8. Having completed the entirety of the Gamescom build start-to-finish (the game kicks you back to the start once you beat Chapter 3), there is no train in this build. Is your friend psychic? (I would not be surprised to see a train in the final game.)
9. Not even close. Both versions hover in the mid 20s at best, at least right now.
10. I didn't take detailed notes on abilities but I did make note of an ability that is called "airstep" and allows you to 'take a step in mid-air after dodging', which is double jump-esque. I don't remember seeing a double jump, though I could happily be wrong on this. The main note I took on abilities is that there were 29 in total in the build.

I'm very curious how your friend came into having some of this info, unless they just played the 30 minutes and are having some very wishful thinking beyond that. Either way I really wish people wouldn't make these statements as it just hypes people up for things that might not be in the game, which in turn makes people angry when they aren't (like the Iris thing: if this information spreads and then she isn't a party member people will be disappointed even though SE promised no such thing).
I really appreciate you dispelling most of this stuff, especially because I thought it stunk to begin with. The train isn't even a good prediction, we actually know from promotional materials and trailers that there is a train in the game at some stage. But I've seen llazzy's "source's" rumors spread elsewhere from Twitter to GAF when they're blatantly false and more about believing what you want than fact... You're spot-on saying this could prove damaging to the game with SE not being at fault in the least.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
If you're thinking "Hey, he missed my question! Dick!" please check my other posts; I may have skipped it because it's covered elsewhere. Or it's under embargo, or I don't know. Or I'm a dick. Cheers.

How in depth was the Ascension Tree and Magic system? Also did using the Phantom Weapons feel different or were they simply reskins?
Despite getting two of them I barely used the phantom weapons... if I get on this build again I'll be sure to check that. As far as the Ascension tree goes - it's curious! In this build (and possibly in final? Who knows) Noctis had 29 possible abilities that branched out from each other. The other three guys had a little less each.

So, here's the most interesting thing about AP in FF15 - it's a shared pool. You earn AP through the typical RPG activities like quests and leveling up and also, interestingly, through Bioware-lite conversations. They're few and far between, but when the game offers you conversation choices you earn a bit of an AP bonus through answering in a way your friends approve of... or that was my understanding, anyway.

More interesting is the shared pool thing; all AP you gain is in one big pot. So this means if you have, say, 60 AP, you can spend it on giving Noctis a bunch of new powers or spread it around all four guys. While you don't control the other guys directly, their skill trees can give them new moves in combat and stuff. You could push Prompto to be more healing-focused, things like that. It can also enable them to equip different types of stuff. I didn't have much time to leaf through the menus with the ticking clock, but their trees seemed interesting from an adjusting how AI acts perspective.

Anyway, the temptation might be to dump all your AP into abilities for Noct - abilities you can then use. There's a significant incentive to not do this, though, and to spend on your allies too... and, yeah, this shared AP pool is quite a different and interesting approach for an FF, though I suppose in a sense not that different from the spheres you spend also being shared in FF10.

I think there's going to be some solid RPG depth in the systems based on all this - I'm excited to get stuck in. I think some fans are inevitably going to complain that Noctis can't be changed into drastically different builds though, but you can't win 'em all.

Any FMVs so far?

Also, where does the opening stand in comparison to other FFs?
The only FMV so far is after Chapter 0 at the top of Chapter 1. It's the scene you've seen some screenshots of where Regis is sending Noctis and his pals away while a dude I recognize from Kingsglaive hangs out in the background. This also features the big grand shot of the city, waterfalls etc. There weren't any others so far. The game seems (rightly) keen to stay in real time as much as possible.

Chapter 0 feels like a complete dud for sure, and I think opening players to something that is slow and builds isn't a bad thing at all. Chapter 0 feels tacked on in the worst way.

I guess my question is, how do you feel bout the story so far? For me, after the first bit, it felt like the only point to the story was finding different tombs in different parts of the world. I thought Noctis was heading to Altissia still?
I touched on this in a couple of other posts, but I really like the opening of the game beyond Chapter 0. The banter between the guys feels fantastic and real to me, and I really like them as characters. The localization feels solid, too. I know this is a polarizing opinion and not all agree, as I've already seen plenty of belly-aching about it already saying it's rubbish. I respectfully disagree.

The actual road trip story seems like it'll have legs. I think FF is at its best when it's road-trippy anyway (chasing Sephiroth, journeying to Deling, running from the Black Waltzes etc) and this is a whole game of that. I'm actually more curious what the later half could do, as the game pushing AWAY from the road trip angle could be where the story stumbles if it does at all.

Anyway -- I like it.

On Altissia - when Regis sends him away, the initial goal is Altissa. Obviously then the invasion happens everything changes, but that doesn't mean the broader journey won't take the guys there.

One of my worries for this game is how the story progresses. I worry it's the checklist design, where you go from point A to point B in story, where you just kill a selected number of enemies in some new area go back to the quest giver and finish the quest and move on the next area. It feels rather uninspired, is that actually how it plays out in the first three chapters? Because the very first thing you do in chapter 1 where you get control over your character is kill a bunch of scorpions... I worry that's how the majority of the story progresses.

Thank You
This is a hard one to answer because obviously I haven't played much more of the game beyond the opening. However, here's what I'd say: When story events happen, the game quickly funnels you about in different ways. In one area it takes away the open world in a sense and has you working through a more narrow series of areas in action encounters in order to push towards a story objective, focusing everything on combat. Think of this like, I don't know, the pace of FF7's bombing missions versus just hanging out around the slums.

I will say that 'return to quest giver' design does lighten up for non-sidequest stuff after the first chapter. Cindy has you going back and forth early on, but the point is to teach you combat and stuff, so that makes sense. The story part progresses more naturally, with the guys having a goal that's been set up naturally in story scenes rather than dumped as part of a quest-giver's dialogue.

This is an RPG though so... expect some fetching, carrying and mob killing.

I didn't play Duscae so I don't really have a comparison, but how are NPCs here? I assume you've only seen Hammerhead and the resort, so I don't expect much, but I'm interested in their conversations with you and between each other (if they have). Also their routines/animations.

Lastly, is the Chapter 0 you played all we saw in today's video or did your play an extended version of it? I assume it is edited in the video, as it was kind of an abrupt of a change after less than a context-less minute and I remember Tabata referrencing FF II for the beginning (so, a battle you can't really win?).

Can't wait to read your fleshed-out impressions!
As detailed in another post, Chapter 0 appears in the video exactly as it did for me. I don't know if this is how it will be in final, but I am under the impression it is.

NPCs - Honestly because I was focused on main-lining the story I missed out on some of the NPC stuff, and most of my interactions were with story-critical ones like Cindy, her grandpa and a journalist guy who helps the guys out. I will say that all these felt good though - except maybe journalist guy. Something about that localized voice for that character design is incredibly poor!

I didn't get much of a feel for how deeply NPCs stick to routines and how they can be impacted, but they definitely visibly have routines, and that makes the world feel alive.

My main question is this: Does Noctis himself have gameplay options outside of attacking and casting magic? I see that his friends have and can learn special abilities that Noctis can command them to use, but did you see indications of that for him in your time with the game?
I didn't, but it's early - and there's lots of stuff like armiger and all that which wasn't available this early in the game. I think you need to think of the game as more like a Witcher or a Dragon Age where the character gains abilities that adjust how they fight in still 'normal' combat than like an old FF where you're striving towards some all new, completely different spell. I get the impression that Noctis will grow his existing abilities more than add all-new ones.

Different weapons should significantly change how he plays, too. I also got to use one of the gun turrets, which was great fun.

===================

More to come soon...

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Thanks, @APZonerunner! I greatly value your impression/opinions on what you've seen. You've been very critical and not afraid to express your complaints and worries in the past, so I know that you're being honest. This is important to me as someone who is very optimistic to have someone with a more realistic and even in many ways differing viewpoints to guide what my true expectations should be for this game. I hope that makes sense, basically, I'm a fanboy for this game, and you are speaking honestly and not afraid to express concerns, so I value that as someone who might be blind to these problems.

In case no one has asked this yet, did you look at the Skills option in the main menu at all, if so, what was there?

Thank you!

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
Thanks for the response ^_^. Btw I'm surprised no one asked yet, but can you mix multiple elements when crafting magic, and if you can, what effect does that make? Does it make a new spell, or like if you put 50 Fire and 50 Lightning does it make a chain firebolt kinda thing?

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, I also prefer the new version: the right hair colour (although that was just the lighting) and better eyes imo. The fucked up dress also helps build a more memorable design/scene. I think this is the best the Stella/Luna embodiment has looked since 2009 (still the GOAT face design).

I´m thinking that (maybe) the damange in her body might be related to her being injure during a fight when she becomes a party member(?).
Could be, but if she is actually joining any time as a guest member, I think it'll be later on and she'll be having these clothes, as they seem that they could be more fight-appropiate than her white dress:

I actually really like her design in this CG render.