Is the FINAL FANTASY XV story compelling thus far as we know?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The known story of FINAL FANTASY XV thus far sounds...

• Boring, nothing new or intresting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bold, it sounds like a gamble

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Loki Darkstrom

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jun 3, 2014
Valhalla
While we know very little of the story, we are only getting bits and pieces. I want to hear what everyone is thinking on the little fragments we have gathered up on the story of FINAL FANTASY XV so far, what do you think?

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Despite having some bits that remind of earlier FFs (crystals, for example), the way they talk about the game being serious, dark, and sad, has got me pumped for it. I hope it turns out to be great.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I'm really excited by its potential story, as I've always liked these fights (both diplomatic and physical) between countries; if done right it fleshes out the world and makes it much more alive and complex. Man, was I happy when I found out that Jun Akiyama was working as "Event planning director" and that the reason he was brought by Nomura was because Tetsuya was a fan of his work in XII.

And the fact that they've said several times that it would be a simpler story is even better, I don't want another convulted trash that is complicated just for the sake of it. But of course, I expect that at some point everything takes a different direction (especially with gods involved, basically), that almost every FF has taken (usually at the end of the game). I just hope that we have an engaging and good story without many weird things and with a big focus on characters.

So, basically, I don't want Nomura and Nojima going crazy and when it comes to the concept plot of this game, I'm really into it, and the great world design helps a lot.

Last edited:

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I'm really looking forward to the story actually. A lot of games have shied away from long epic storytelling. I thin 15 will have a lot of twists and turns while telling a story that we'll enjoy again and again. Just like the old days. But like Tornak said, this needs to be a story with balance. Have humane characters, but don't make them boring, have a complex story, but don't go crazy and confused everyone, have lots of sweet fights, but don't neglect quieters sadder moments. Balance.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I don't really know how to vote my opinion properly here, but I will say that I'm extremely interested in the story, I want to know the deeper plot of the game. People make comparisons to Shakespeare over the ONE quote we have, but I don't see why, it's just a quote that relates to the game, people look too deep into it.

I'm waiting to see the deeper plot of the game, the stuff we know nothing about.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I love how I just said above you how stupid the Shakespeare comparisons are and you posted this, lol. Also, fighting over a crystal is nothing like Romeo and Juliet... in the slightest...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I love how I just said above you how stupid the Shakespeare comparisons are and you posted this, lol. Also, fighting over a crystal is nothing like Romeo and Juliet... in the slightest...
I'm not saying at all that the game's story is going to be influenced by Hamlet (I don't think it's going to be, at least not in a significant way), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

I mean, Shakespeare tragedies are usually defined by common elements, those being treason, usurpation, vengeance, love... and this game seems to have vengeance against Nifleheim for stealing the crystal and invading Lucis (and maybe killing Regis?), and it's possible that it also has elements of love (nothing new in the series), treason and usurpation (Regis said in the 2011 trailer something like "this throne won't be yours", so who knows if the throne is usurped by... I don't know, the guy who looks like him?He could work as a Claudius xD. Idola?)

So I don't think it's stupid at all thinking that it MIGHT have Shakespeare influences, assuming that it's going to have them is totally different. But yeah, I think the similarities are going to be minimal (as in, one quote and problems in court, like in most Shakesperian tragedies).

PS: apart from the quote, didn't Nomura say something like they were inspired by Shakespeare, saying that the quote wasn't put just for sake of looking good? I swear I remember something like that. I've always thought that was the main reason people were drawing these comparisons, not only basing themselves in a quote.

Last edited:

Skye

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
The only thing that i'm really interested is why Noctis and Stella are fighting.

Prince Naphtali

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 23, 2013
I want to know more about Noctis and stella's relationship and duty, and how the FNC mythology works into the story. other than that, I want to know more about prompto and co. as well as the world/cities/terrain.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Not sure. The story so far doesn't seem like it's doing anything unpredictable, daring or new but that doesn't matter as long as they tell it well.

Last edited:

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
It wouldn't be that bad to me if the game had Shakespeare refs. It was already revealed the Les Miserables was a big influence to Nomura before he started writing the dark story.

So far the story is already beyond "get back/protect the crystal". We know about gods and them interacting with humans. Magic being passed down. Politic, and peace treaties being ignored in the pursuit of power and resources. We know some of the story will be a social commentary as it mimics problems in the real world todays, too.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
My only concern about the story is that it seems like they are following a Romeo & Juliet type of story between Noctis and Stella. So I really do hope that they back away of that. Other than that we really don’t know too much about the story to make a solid judgment on this game.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
My only concern about the story is that it seems like they are following a Romeo & Juliet type of story between Noctis and Stella. So I really do hope that they back away of that. Other than that we really don’t know too much about the story to make a solid judgment on this game.
From what I've seen, it won't be a Romeo and Juliet thing. I think they'll bond, but not fall in love. The same way he interacts with his friends. He may just learn to trust, respect and depend on her. If they fall in love, it'll probably be at the end.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
It wouldn't be that bad to me if the game had Shakespeare refs. It was already revealed the Les Miserables was a big influence to Nomura before he started writing the dark story.

So far the story is already beyond "get back/protect the crystal". We know about gods and them interacting with humans. Magic being passed down. Politic, and peace treaties being ignored in the pursuit of power and resources. We know some of the story will be a social commentary as it mimics problems in the real world todays, too.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII
Yeah and if one knows anything about tropes, design language and the Fabula Nova Crystallis, then chances are that they know a lot more about the story then it just being about protecting the crystals. Perhaps someone familiar with Kazushige Nojima and Tetsuya Nomura’s works can point out a few common characteristics too.

Last edited:

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
From what I've seen, it won't be a Romeo and Juliet thing. I think they'll bond, but not fall in love. The same way he interacts with his friends. He may just learn to trust, respect and depend on her. If they fall in love, it'll probably be at the end.
Dont get me wrong i would not mind a romance between them. In fact it is one of the things i love about the Final Fantasy series. Also one of the reasons i dislike 12, for its lack of a romance.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Dont get me wrong i would not mind a romance between them. In fact it is one of the things i love about the Final Fantasy series. Also one of the reasons i dislike 12, for its lack of a romance.
I like romance too, as long as the woman and man are equals. I liked Vaan, but the majority of 12 they just wrote him off as a goofy kid, even though in the start he was protrayed as a crafty street urchin who could outsmart people. Even in the Renevant Wings game Vaan and Panelo didn't seem to be able mature into a full relationship, be at least they got to show off their way of saving the world (since 12 became more about Ashe and Balthier since it was originally gonna be a more adult FF).

But back to 15, if Noct and Stella are a mature couple, I'm for it. They're both really strong in mind and body as I hear. And they both have the same power. Maybe between them they can be that adult couple that makes people like romance in games again. Nomura doesn't do a lot of romance, and I already told you I hear it won't be about romance, but maybe...

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
How is Noctis and Stella at all like Romeo and Juliet? I feel like so many people who make this comparison don't know what Romeo and Juliet is actually about.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
How is Noctis and Stella at all like Romeo and Juliet? I feel like so many people who make this comparison don't know what Romeo and Juliet is actually about.
He means in that they're from warring countries and different families and may fall in love. If you That happened in Romeo and Juliet. They're families hated each other and wanted them to hate each other too.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
He means in that they're from warring countries and different families and may fall in love. If you That happened in Romeo and Juliet. They're families hated each other and wanted them to hate each other too.
But the thing is, Stella is from Tenebrae... Niflheim is the country that invades. I really don't see at all how Romeo and Juliet are compared. Romeo and Juliet isn't even a love story to begin with, it's a three day relationship against an emo depressed guy who gets dumped and gets a boner with the first girl he saw basically.