1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

KONAMI is (not?) ceasing AAA game production for console.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Lulcielid, Sep 18, 2015.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

2. LeonBlade

LeonBlade Forest Owl Staff Member Moderator Site Staff

Do people even play Pro Evolution Soccer? I'm sure they do, but it's just another sports game that most core gamers don't give a shit about. I remember how Konami was damage controlling saying Kojima would be making games still etc and they were lying through their teeth for PR purposes.

One one hand, I know what it's harder to make a huge profit on gaming any more given the large budgets with the cost of titles not increasing in years, but I don't get why they suddenly are abandoning it after all these years. People wonder why DLC is so prevalent these days and it's because of this reason... publishers aren't making nearly enough money.

I wonder what will become of Konami in only a few months.

3. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

We might find out in fall this year, if i´m correct Kojima´s contract with Konami expires around that time.

4. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Chocobo Knight

And who gives a shit about core gamers if your game is selling millions every year anyway? Honestly, I have no doubt that sports games are more profitable, considering lower production values and bigger audience.

Konami is a sinking ship and, even though it sucks for gamers, they're entitled to make whatever decicions they deem best for their company. Konami owns many big franchises, so of course what they do makes me a bit sad as well, but maybe they could license or sell some of their ips in the future?

On the positive side, at least there won't be a new MGS without Kojima.

5. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Instead we will get new Metal Gear games by someone else...if KONAMI keeps making games.

6. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Chocobo Knight

What I meant is it probably won't happen since they don't want to make games anymore.

I'd be okay with new Metal Gear Rising though.

7. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

Time to sell those IPs.

LeonBlade likes this.
  8. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

To who would you like to ?

9. Squirrel Emperor

To someone who can take proper good care of them, which Konami management has failed to do.

Personally though, I'd like to see Nintendo acquire Castlevania. They have a strong history with that IP.

10. Wazi the pa

Wazi the pa Samurai Legend Moderator Site Staff

Sony & Nintendo are the best candidates to have ownerships of those IPs. Especially Sony with Silent Hill.

11. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

My votes:
    • Silent Hills/Metal Gear/Zone of the Enders for SONY.
    • Castlevania for NINTENDO.
    • Suikoden for SQUARE-ENIX.
    • Bloody Roar for CAPCOM.
    • Contra for SNK-PLAYMORE.

12. Sora96

Sora96 Sphere Hunter

Glad I didn't like them anyway. FIFA better than PES too. :p

13. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

As someone who doesnt like football to much i agreed that FIFA >> PES.

14. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

Whoever made them, to be honest. They should be the ones deciding who they want to go to for their particular IPs.

15. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Looks like KONAMI is not ceasing entirely.

16. Squirrel Emperor

The customer support representative doesn't sound like he/she knows what is really going on.

17. Tornak

Tornak ShinRa SOLDIER

Yeah, I mean, as much I hate recent/current Konami, you can't really blame them: they're a business, and apparently prefer/find more profitable being focused on their gyms, pachinko machines and other products.

I'm really interested in seeing whatever happens to their IPs (nothing good, I'd venture...) and Kojima. I was really dissapointed by MGSV because of its weird and awkard design and story (despite the lovely gameplay. And I guess we're lucky we didn't have another MGS4 levels of story lenght, as mediocre as V's was lol), but I still love the guy despite his many flaws as a story-teller and writer, so I want to see what's next: I could see him as a freelancer in a big company for his next game. If he doesn't retire/tries to be on movies or something, that is.

The biggest shame of this all is that, if their lack of interest in AAA games continues/grows, Fox Engine would be a waste. I really weant to see more of it (preferably in a more linear current-gen only game).

18. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

19. buddhafied

buddhafied Clan Centurio Member

I really want Silent Hill to go to a good place. SONY does sounds like a good place to go.

Square-Enix is not an ideal candidate for niche JRPG anymore... Atlus? Level 5 tends to like things a bit more colourful... Hmm...

20. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

I'd pick them too, but Level-5 doesn't do that much more in terms of RPGs for home consoles. If someone might be qualified to do it, it may actually be MLSI or Intelligent Systems... meaning Nintendo.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!