Kotaku: The Final Fantasy XV Problem

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I don't think XV bombing would be a nail in the coffin for JRPGs, but Schreier is right on most other aspects. XV has a heavy burden, and I believe "Was this worth waiting for 10 years?" is going to plague virtually every review available: In fact, I believe it's going to be IGN's title for the review. And thus, if the game doesn't blow everyone away, even by a bit; scores are going to be lower. When you have such an important game in development for so long, people will begin thinking, as he put it "This had better be good."

I think the aspects in which the game can fail, is the gameplay and they story, both criticized aspects in the KH series. But we'll have to wait and see. I don't think there is going to be a middle ground with this game. It's going to be deemed either as one of the best JRPGs ever, or a failure.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
When you think about it, it's kinda sad. Square rises and falls often. And now, it's sometimes feels like they don't know what to do to get back where they were but still bring in new gamers who aren't die-hard fans. Then with this burden over their heads, maybe they cracked. Maybe they said "eff it for now, let do what's easy and come back to 15 when we're not so pressured".

EDIT
I have noticed with every year, the kind of JRPGs I like are dying out. If people don't have Square to inspire them to make high level anime-style RPGs anymore, then they'll ditch RPGs for action RPGs or flat out other genres.

It may reach a point where we get a new RPG from Tales and Persona but that's it. FFs may actually die out for good if this game can't at least be consider a B+ .

EDIT:
So much of what I've thought was in this article. I didn't think anyone cared enough to see it this way.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2014
Miami
I think Square's well-aware of the lofty expectations riding on this project. Question is whether or not they've learned from their previous errors in gameplay & story-telling.

I'll just say this now: whatever XV turns out to be will NOT have warranted the long development time. Plain & simple. Certain game mechanics that Nomura boasted about back in 2008 (e.g.- day/night cycles & dark edgy story) have already been accomplished in other titles, so I doubt this game will catch anyone off-guard, dramatically. What we can still hopefully look forward to are more grounded characters in a more mature backdrop of a tale, with open & engaging gameplay & beautiful graphics.

At the end of the day, will it sell? I believe it will. Will the lifetime sales cover the astronomical development costs? Remains to be seen. Will Square pull such a stupid stunt again? I hope not. This HD era really caught them off-guard, so one can imagine they'll learn from their mistakes.

As for AAA RPGs, I believe they'll die out eventually, with or without XV success or failure being taken into account. Indies are on the rise & so are development costs. But I don't think Square will completely dismiss the RPG model that made them successful. I just think we'll see way more cash-grabs or sequels.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I hope characters with grounded personalities doesn't mean they have no eccentric characters. I don't want a whole cast of characters with personalities like average joes.
If RPGs die out I won't be able to stay a gamer. If Square goes into full action rpgs, even that would be better than ditching RPGs altogether.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
The game has taken such a stupidly long time to develop, and all "news" turn out to not be news, that it doesn't seem like it will ever come out and I'm not interested in it anymore. Other franchises have overtaken my interest in FF during the past 10 years.

I will be happy when it does come out, and I'm sure it will be good, but I feel like it won't be as good as Persona or Xeno games. I really want XV to surprise me :(

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
You're talking about Final Fantasy :p. They haven't given us 'boring' characters up til now (aside from XIII for some people). What we have right now is barely anything about the main cast in Final Fantasy XV, so I'm pretty sure Square are aware that the characters have to be interesting enough. Plus, it's Tetsuya Nomura, don't doubt his work. :D
You're right. But still anything can go wrong. I'm just worried. Sometimes, "down-to-earth" can mean "lack of imagination."
And IMO FF13 had a few really good ideas in it. My favorite part were the action scenes. Each character basically got one that showed kinda how they fought. Snow road around dragging ice and saving people. Lightning dropped soldier left and right in and out of CG movie scenes ( the time she did it in the frozen area, under the first dungeon was great too). So I think the game lacked some personality. Much there were some pretty memorable parts to much up for it. Another great scene was when the cast returned to Cacoon and materialized on that race track/highway. And they battle right there teaming up with their summons. Outstanding!

I hope in FF15 they don't leave EVERY fight to use. Sure make the battle fun and give us control. But after seeing Noctis body the marauders in his trailer (doing leg locks and teleporting all over) I want to see Noctis fight on his own too mid-CG movie sometimes. Story is great, but let's not pull a 12 and focus so much on story and politics and political backstabbing that martial arts and magic become an afterthought. Same for eccentrics and goofballs and comedic moments. I want that game to be serious and epic, but sprinkle a little comedy in there too. In my house we often joke that 15 will be like a road trip, and make jokes around that.

Gladio: "So when you gonna propose to Stella, man?"
Noct: "Hell you talkin' about?!"
Gladio: "Just saying, you've known her a while man. Make a move."

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Versus XIII has been an 'on and off' project. XV is the real deal, thats all I need to know.
I'm not going to worry myself even more. What I expect is an update of the game by THIS YEAR.

You're talking about Final Fantasy :p. They haven't given us 'boring' characters up til now (aside from XIII for some people). What we have right now is barely anything about the main cast in Final Fantasy XV, so I'm pretty sure Square are aware that the characters have to be interesting enough. Plus, it's Tetsuya Nomura, don't doubt his work. :D
I don't really understand why people are worried about the characters... why would there be any cause for concern? Simply because the game is taking a long time? That has nothing to do with the characters.

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
I don't believe sales will be an overwhelming issue, at least in proportion to the detriment it would cause SE in the hypothetical instance that the game bombs. While of course, it is entirely possible for it to flop as an FF game (in terms of numbers), it's nigh impossible for the game to be a commercial failure.

The biggest reason why FF games sell, is because of, well, the name. Putting the "Final Fantasy" brand name on something guarantees it will sell. If anything, the ultimate outcome of XIII and other such recent disappointments, can easily be called brand abuse: the game was received so severely, yet it ended up as one of the highest-selling FF titles.

While I've seen a cornucopia of premature purchase strategies for FF XV ("I'll buy it once it hits the bargain bin", "not until I see reviews", etc.) that's more of a testament to how polarizing this game is, than anything else. There will be millions of people such as myself, that will buy this game on launch day or within the immediate span of its release, for one reason or another. Whether it's simply out of being a die-hard FF fan (me), an ARPG fanatic (also me), or out of the sheer desire to play a game that will more than likely have taken almost a decade to make, it's going to sell well for a game of its kind.

XV seems completely to be a terminal epoch of the Final Fantasy franchise: I agree, it's all or nothing. Revival or bust. This game will only deliver one of two extremes, in that it will make or break FF.

Last edited:

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
What's important is not only that the game doesn't flop (both critically and commercially), but that they learn from their mistakes and don't repeat this long wait crap again. I certainly hope that's not the case with KH3, but it seems the sin has already been committed.

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
What's important is not only that the game doesn't flop (both critically and commercially), but that they learn from their mistakes and don't repeat this long wait crap again. I certainly hope that's not the case with KH3, but it seems the sin has already been committed.
I expect XV-2 and related sequels to be made and released in around the same time as the XIII sequels.

Considering KH III entered full development this past July, don't expect it until mid-2017 at least, probably late 2017. Please be excited.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I expect XV-2 and related sequels to be made and released in around the same time as the XIII sequels.

Considering KH III entered full development this past July, don't expect it until mid-2017 at least, probably late 2017. Please be excited.
Still hoping they just add DLCs for 15 not sequels. All people will do is bitch and say they're milking it. These days if you do more than one of something isn't instantly a shameless milking session. Just ask the people who used a cow icon on RPG Site when doing a Square article.

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
I hate DLC's to be honest. I'd rather have sequels than DLC's hands down. XV is not going to be like the XIII trilogy, trust me.
for XV, give me the full game, give me unlockables rather DLC. I'd rather take that than DLC's. If you know, Square tried DLC in XIII-2 and Lightning Returns and it felt, that should have been in the full game.
I don't want to pay extra to know more of the story, I want the full story in the full game.
Well save for i think 2 DLCs for 13-2. The DLC was optional for the most part. Sure you had the coliseum battles but you didn't have to get them. Sure 13-3 had the costumes but again not required. The only real reason i believe there was so much DLC is because FF13 was cut short and they said they had alot left over. Hence the sequel and dlc, if that makes sense?

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
DLC can be quite atrocious. I'd prefer the sequels to be honest.

I really dislike that games are making DLC or things like costumes and selling ONE costume per character in games for $3 or $4. That they could have easily put in the game! It also makes no sense whatsoever to have a game in development yet already announce DLC, can't they add those in the game while it's still in development. I mean I can wait an extra month or few for them to add the DLC into the game itself rather than having to spend another $60 dollars... -_-

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
If they're going to do sequels, I just hope they handle it much better. As in, not give us straight XV-2/XV-3 for the entire generation. But give us another mainline FF first and other titles.

I'm not against DLC as much as some of you guys though. The Last of Us : Left Behind is a perfect example of a great DLC pack. If they could do that, I'd much prefer it to a full-fledged game.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I hate DLC's to be honest. I'd rather have sequels than DLC's hands down. XV is not going to be like the XIII trilogy, trust me.
Of course it will. Games like FFXV cost too much money to make and publishers have to look for other sources of revenue. That's why DLC exists.

I see no reason to trust you!

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I actually like the concept of DLC if well done. But of course, well done DLCs aren't that common (can't think of too many). A good DLC would basically be content created AFTER the game's launch (that is, entirely new content) with a price that goes accordingly to its actual content.

And well, yes, even if his words are a bit melodramatic, Schreier is right, although, unfortunately, there aren't many AAA JRPGs apart from those from S-E (and, unfortunately again, it's current S-E...)

But I think there's no way that XV isn't going to sell well in the West (as long as it isn't a trainwreck of a game), and PS4 is crushing the market. The problem is Japan as Schreier said, so let's hope things get better. It would be very sad that the Japanese industry gets even worse. I miss the good old days.