Lightning Returns: FFXIII Demo Discussion

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
As you all know, the demo for LR was released yesterday for the PSN (don't know exactly when for Xbox Live), so let's have nice civil discussion about it those of us who played it. Post impressions and everything.

For me, the demo was somewhat cool. I'd already seen the intro so it didn't impress me, and most of it because of the terrible dialog. I grasped the combat basics quite easily, but some things are still not clear for me. Although I like the combat, I thought it was far more boring than that of XIII and its sequel, mainly because of the lack of supporting characters. The boss battle at the end quickly became boring, because of the monster's high HP and lack of challenge. Also, why give us control of Lightning's movement if she can only move at the speed of a land turtle? On the other side, the graphics were not bad. They are definitely lacking the marvelous vistas of XIII, and Lightnings outfits are ridiculous; but it looked nice. I hope you like Hope, because he does not shut up for the whole demo (and I suspect will be the same for the full game); and Ali Hillis sounds even more bored than usual as Lightning (for good reason, I can't tell if Lightning has any emotion left in her). So, thoughts?

Alleo

Yevonite
Nov 25, 2013
I already played the Japanese demo but I´m happy that there is now a demo where I understand everything. :cool:I enjoyed every aspect of it. Skipped the intro because I want to see it completely on the main game (saw some parts of it already). I loved the combat :) I´m not a fan of turn based fighting so this new battle combat is much better for me. In XIII and -2 you can only watch the character after you chose their attacks but here you could do everything yourself. It might be boring for some to only fight with one person, but I think this combat style would not be that great with more than one character. At least if you want to control them all. (There would be to much things going on at the same time) In the end I´m used to fight with only one character because most of my games has this type of fighting style. :) The boss fight was nice. Even my longest fight against him took me around five minutes and I´m proud to finally get four stars (I´m so going to keep fighting him in the real game until I get five stars :cool:) It may feel boring for some but I really had to concentrate the whole time and I finally managed to shock him twice in one fight (don´t know if this is good or not but the first time I was not able to do so) I was also able to push him back with my blocking. (Still don´t know how I did that :cookie:)

The graphic is alright. Don´t see how some find it so bad. It may not be that great like XIII but it still looks okay. Lighting herself looks beautiful. I loved to change colors of my outfits and I already changed my set a little. The only thing that I had to do was to make the font size bigger so that I could read the text. Hope really likes to talk and it´s a little bad if he wants to say something and then it cuts of because you fight. But at least the dialogue is not lost and he will continue afterwards.

Tried the facebook feature and it worked. Still don´t know if I will use it much in the future but it´s an interesting feature.
So to make it short: I loved it :D

TRI Mike

ShinRa SOLDIER
If it's the same part as the Japanese demo then I can talk. I liked it a lot, I don't know why some people are complaining about the graphics. I found them pretty awesome honestly and the battle system seems very cool. I see a lot of potential in it with Lightning being alone changing jobs in the mids of the battle. I never had any problems with Hope or Vanille so them making a come back doesn't bother me either.

I'm very, very hyped.

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
I liked it okay. I'm not big on all the costume switching and whatnot but I enjoyed the gameplay, music and the new twists on the battle system. I also find what's going on with Snow fairly interesting thus far.

Kaimi

Yevonite
Oct 10, 2013
Poland
I like the battle system and the Outerworld services are quite fun. I even made a nice snapshot of Light, I think:

Lightning waving to her loyal subjects. ;P

Keriaku

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 26, 2013
I think that the on-the-go dialogue between Lightning and Hope was a good design choice. It really makes it seem like Lightning is constantly processing what is going on around her, which has always been something we've had to completely imagine happening in almost all Final Fantasies before this generation.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I think that the on-the-go dialogue between Lightning and Hope was a good design choice. It really makes it seem like Lightning is constantly processing what is going on around her, which has always been something we've had to completely imagine happening in almost all Final Fantasies before this generation.
That is until they get interrupted when a fight is initiated.