Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII General Discussion and News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
Hey, can someone explain to me how things like Smite and Scourge occur in this game please?
Well, enemies in the game can be staggered as usual, but actually getting them staggered work differently. Otherwise, Smite and Scourge do the same things they do in XIII and XIII-2.

EDIT: Launch also works the same way, and it would stand to reason that Deathblow and Adrenaline (may not be included) will work the same, and we've also seen Ravage, but not how to activate it. Blindside probably won't be included as you only have one character in the battle, aside from battles with guest characters. As there is no Chain gauge or Chain Bonus, Powerchain and Jeopardize wouldn't work the same way, as well as Lifesiphon and Faultsiphon. You know, even though you never asked about those.

Last edited:

MickMc

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 25, 2013
Well, enemies in the game can be staggered as usual, but actually getting them staggered work differently. Otherwise, Smite and Scourge do the same things they do in XIII and XIII-2.

EDIT: Launch also works the same way, and it would stand to reason that Deathblow and Adrenaline (may not be included) will work the same, and we've also seen Ravage, but not how to activate it. Blindside probably won't be included as you only have one character in the battle, aside from battles with guest characters. As there is no Chain gauge or Chain Bonus, Powerchain and Jeopardize wouldn't work the same way, as well as Lifesiphon and Faultsiphon. You know, even though you never asked about those.
Thanks a lot, that really cleared it up for me! :)
On another note, what is everybody's favourite/least favourite Garb so far?

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
Thanks a lot, that really cleared it up for me! :)
On another note, what is everybody's favourite/least favourite Garb so far?
I don't have a favorite. I think all but 4 of the garbs I've seen are nice, though because I like XIII and XIII-2 quite a bit more than the next guy, the Guardian Corps and Valkyrie garbs (Mind you, these may not be the final names, that's just what I call them) stand out.

FracturesinVII

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 26, 2013
I'm really excited to play this game, and I think it has a lot to offer to old and new fans if you let it.
I wish I had the money for the Japanese version because I always wanted to play it in the original language, and I love Maaya Sakamoto's work for Lightning.

MickMc

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 25, 2013
I don't have a favorite. I think all but 4 of the garbs I've seen are nice, though because I like XIII and XIII-2 quite a bit more than the next guy, the Guardian Corps and Valkyrie garbs (Mind you, these may not be the final names, that's just what I call them) stand out.
I really like those as well, however, in favour of retaining the "new game" feel I'm not going to use them in my first playthrough. I really like Dust and Shadow, and the purple Crescent Moon dress, impractical though it may be :p

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
My Favorite Garb is Dark Muse followed by Dust and Shadow. The one "Thing" that ruined it for me was Miqo'te Dress. Might be an Unpopular Opinion but i don't like it.
Oh, I think it's pretty bad, too. Still gonna get it for 100% completion, even though I've got no way to keep track.

MickMc

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 25, 2013
Oh, I think it's pretty bad, too. Still gonna get it for 100% completion, even though I've got no way to keep track.
I have to agree here, I don't like the Miqo'te outfit either. However, can't you only get it if you have XIV: ARR? If that's the case then it's fine because I don't have it, so I don't need to worry about it affecting my completion percentage.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
I really don't have a favorite outfit, I even like a lot the L'Ange Noir one. My least favorite though is the one that was shown in a trailer with many outfits, which was a completely white dress. Light was like a bride in it... And I really can't imagine Light in a wedding dress!!! Sigh... :rolleyes:

calliopium

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 26, 2013
My favourite outfit is I think called... Ranger? The one where Lightning's wearing aviators. I also love Heartstealer and the butler outfit! They seem to fit Lightning's personality more to me than some of the other outfits. But her default XIII, XIII-2 and LR ones are all great too.

As for theme song, I'm really hoping it's as good a pick as My Hands was! I like New World a lot too, but I think My Hands still wins out as my favourite for the XIII series. I mean, who am I kidding, I love every FF theme song from VIII to XIII-2. But sometimes I find myself randomly singing "myyyy haaaands don't wanna start agaaaaaain, myyyy haaands no they don't understaaand". The life of a XIII fan, man.

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
I have to agree here, I don't like the Miqo'te outfit either. However, can't you only get it if you have XIV: ARR? If that's the case then it's fine because I don't have it, so I don't need to worry about it affecting my completion percentage.
No, it's already in the game, from what I understand. You get it from a quest where... Well, from what I've heard it's either Lightning chasing a cat or Lightning getting chased by a cat.

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
Just bought my PS3 (thank god) for LR. 160GB of PURE GAMING. 8D
I don't remember...I don't need a Japanese PSN account to play LR with the physical disc, right? It's been awhile since I popped in FFXIII and XIII-2 JP versions...
Hey, that means I can add you on PSN now! =D Also, on topic with LR, no clue about if you need a Japanese PSN account for it, and also, how about all the weapons we've seen, hmm?

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
It's on its way from Amazon, so just about a week until I can hopefully set up my PSN!

Are you asking what I think about the weapons...?
I dunno, am I? I mean, I know we don't know any stats, but what do you think of them? Do they look cool, do they seem like the kind of thing that would do tons of damage? Off to the TV, so I won't be able to reply for a bit, bye for now.

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
They look pretty fun to customize and use. My favorite has to be (aside from the original Blazefire Saber) Lightning's new blade...Crimson something, I don't remember. As long as it doesn't take too much micromanaging overall with the Schemata I'm good with the entire system. I've always thought it slowed down the experience.
It's called the Crimson Blitz, like the music track. At least, for right now. Light's default gear has gone through some name changes. The garb used to be Equilibrium or Divinity (no clue what order chronologically) and now it's called The Savior. The sword was, if I recall, called Crimson Blade. The shield used to be Twilight Lotus, and now it's Night Lotus, if I recall.

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
No idea. I prefer "Equilibrium" though, since the outfit has balanced stats. "Divinity" was what it was first called in the first trailer, I think...
I don't mind what any of the equipment's called. I mean, I saw that two of the weapons are named "Devil's Daughter" and "Satanic Sister," and I know that would bother a few people, but I don't happen to follow any religion, so I'm not bothered in the slightest. Also, something I should have covered in my initial reply, I wouldn't mind a little bit of micromanagement, but as you say, too much is a bad thing.

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 4, 2013
World B
LR's system of accessories and shields and outfits doesn't seem to overbearing. Stuff like FFXII's Gambits system, though...it's something I'm not a fan of to this day. Could be the action game fanatic in me, though.
And about the outfit name, I don't mind either. I just like the sound of some over the others. It could be called "Snuppychins" and I wouldn't care as long as it looks good, gives me good stats, and doesn't have any awkward animations.
Hmm, animations... I wonder how many different animations there are for each ability? I mean, I'm sure some of them, like the different defensive ones, will share animations. Speaking of abilities, who else is glad Steelguard makes a return?

MickMc

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 25, 2013
No, it's already in the game, from what I understand. You get it from a quest where... Well, from what I've heard it's either Lightning chasing a cat or Lightning getting chased by a cat.
Oh right, thanks for letting me know :) in that case I'll get it but I can always just not use it so it won't bother me. I wonder how the Savior justifies chasing a cat while the world unravels around her ^_^

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
So wow. Just saw an article that said enemies in LR can go exitnct. Lord have mercy on them if I get my hands on a copy of it. ESPECIALLY if there is a trophy related to extinct monsters. Game is piquing my interest now.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
So wow. Just saw an article that said enemies in LR can go exitnct. Lord have mercy on them if I get my hands on a copy of it. ESPECIALLY if there is a trophy related to extinct monsters. Game is piquing my interest now.
Well, that news is a bit old. I wonder what'll happen to the world once you kill all the monsters?