Lightning Returns interview with Ali Hillis – We want your questions!

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
Hello everyone! We’re teaming up with FF Union for a unique Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII interview opportunity.

As you may have guessed based on the title, we’ll be chatting up Ali Hillis – the English voice of Lightning – as we prepare for the western launch of the final chapter in the Final Fantasy XIII saga.

We’d like to ask you guys to submit questions that you’d like to ask Ali regarding her character, career as a voice actor, or anything else you’d like to know. The interview will take place next Tuesday, February 4th and we’ll be accepting questions until through Monday, February 3rd.

Kaimi

Yevonite
Oct 10, 2013
Poland
I'm not really sure what should I suggest to ask Ali. Maybe ask her about the plot as a whole of the Lightning Saga, how they are negatively received by fans for not being really consistent with each installment to tell the truth. Or you could ask her if there's something she didn't like when voicing Light?

Also, I must say that Rachel Robinson is also interviewed (or was; different time zones so I'm not really sure) at FFUnion, I presume also because of the approaching release of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. Still, I'd really like to heard an interview with Georgia van Cuylenberg; wonder if there'll be an interview with her regarding her role in the FFXIII trilogy at some (distant) time in the future.

Maz loa

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 2, 2013
Light has been through much since she started out as a solider, what do you think of the changes and how did you adapt to them?

Which game, from the trilogy, did you have more fun voicing?

What do you think are Lighting's positive and negative qualities?

Of all the outfits Light is able to ware, which did you like best?

You have been the voice of 2 characters in 2 RPG trilogies. What are the differences in voicing in a JRPG and WRPG?

Any challenges in voicing Light this time?

How has the fan base been treating you lately?

If Lightning is needed once more, will you return?

Kaimi

Yevonite
Oct 10, 2013
Poland
*Some fans, my friend, some fans. ^^
Besides, she doesn't really have anything to do with how the plot was conceived and executed. I don't really think there's anything for her to "tell the truth" on. Toriyama and Watanabe (I'm not sure how involved he was with writing the plot other than scenarios) are those dudes.
I didn't write "all" to begin with, but thanks for 'fixing'. ;)
Surely, being a voice actor/actress is not only about reading lines with voice styled to be a reflection of the character they're voice and they at least must have some opinion on the story of the game (and its eventual sequels, prequels, midquels, and all that). Maybe my choice of words wasn't the best one back there.

Oh bugger, deadline has passed and I actually did have a small list of my own:

1) How shackled-in were you by the persons in charge of the general voice direction? Did you have much of a room to put your own twist in some of the lines, or were you completely dictated down to the exact inflection and intonation?

2) What do you actually make of the English scripts for the Lightning Saga as a whole? Ever had a moment when reading it that something stood out as "oh my God, I cannot WAIT to record this bit!" or perhaps a time when you've shaken your head in disbelief at how bad something is?

3) You've voiced a lot of characters in your career thus far. Which one(s) has/have really stood out for you in any sort of way, and why? Any particular favourite?

4) Has any character been particularly challenging to nail down? I'm picturing multiple attempts at one single line, recurring fears that it doesn't sound right, and perhaps constant tiny little revisions to how a line may be delivered?

5) Did you get a bit bored when recording for Lightning Returns? Lightning herself comes across as a bit "ehhh, it's in the contract, so I may as well finish this one up", but it could just be me imagining it.

6) Who is the true canonical Mass Effect pairing? ShepxAshley, ShepxGarrus, ShepxTali, ShepxLiara, ShepxAnderson, FemShepxLiara? As the voice actress of Dr. Smurf T'Soni who presumably has some emotional connection with the character, you must have an opinion on this uhh, vitally crucial topic.

7) Have you offered to come back later on and voice another Final Fantasy character? It would be another perfect opportunity to test your range and see how different you can sound as another Final Fantasy character just after everyone has acclimatised to three Lightning games. To name a couple of others, you've voiced Liara and Palutena. You can easily come back for say, Stella and no one will be any wiser until they see the credits. And then they'll be shocked and SE can cheekily tick off the "Include Lightning" quota. =P

8) Do you actually play the games that you've done voice work for?

9) Looking at your Wikipedia list (Wikipedia never lies!), I have learnt that you have worked on well, practically everything. Stage shows, films, TV series, anime, video games - you've essentially covered all the acting bases. All you need to do is supplant Ellen Page and get motion-captured as accurately as possible into David Cage's next emotional game. Must be difficult to do all this. How do you do it?

10) Let's be honest here - how much Lightning fanart has been sent to you? How many of them are HopexLightning ones? Do you frame them or do you take one glance and recoil with horror? Some people do take Rule 34 a bit too far you know...

11) If you ever take part in some kind of convention that involves Q&A from fans, how often do you expect someone to mention "Motomu Toriyama"? Say you get a dollar for every mention. How much richer will you be?