1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Mass Effect Discussion (spoilers)

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by Azuardo, Sep 28, 2013.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Misty

Misty Yevonite

I started the series late last year when a friend bought me the trilogy pack for my birthday. I was a big fan of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, which I kind of view as a predecessor to Mass Effect, so the game was right up my alley.

I really loved the series and I've been wanting to do a few more playthroughs. I was a bit of a completionist (and was playing during school) while I played so it took me around 6 months to finish my first.

I'm embarrassed (actually not really) to admit that I have a bit of a girl crush on Liara, and she was my romance option (though I had a brief foray with Garrus in ME2). Mass Effect 2 was probably my favorite in the series, though, because I liked the focus on the individual party members... ME1 had a great story (or, well, they all do) but some of the mechanics were weird and the side quests were really repetitive. ME3 has the Citadel DLC, though, which as far as I'm concerned is the most justified $15 I have ever spent.

2. Azuardo

Azuardo Materia Hunter Staff Member Moderator

Liara was my first romance for my MaleShep, too. Then I went with Ashley. I ended up keeping different save files to hook up with Miranda and such, as well. It was a little annoying with ME3 that you couldn't, for example, take Miranda as a main party member and pursue a relationship with her like the others.

But I'm glad you mentioned the DLC for ME3 because I've yet to buy them. They're pretty expensive DLCs, and while I'm sure they're worth it, it's just too pricey for me. But I'm pretty sure they'll be getting PS Store discounts soon, so that's the point that I'll be jumping on them. I can't wait to play Citadel.

3. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

Liara has, in a sense, completely ruined Lightning for me. Liara's a really special character, I think; really well written, really well acted and, yes, without a doubt my space wife forever. But really, I can't hear Ali Hillis' Lightning performance - or any other performance of hers - as its own thing, as I just hear Liara in her.

Several of the ME3 DLCs are basically required reading. From Ashes adds ME3's most important squad mate, who has VITAL things to say in several places, especially on Thessia. Leviathan adds majorly needed explanation and foreshadowing for the ending and the background of the Reapers. These are must-have.

Citadel is must-have if you have any love for the characters at all. So much good scripting. Y'know, during the party in Citadel there are more choice triggers being read from past decisions across the three games than in the whole of KOTOR 1? Just in the party! Insanity.

Omega is the only mediocre one, and even that has its moments.

4. Misty

Misty Yevonite

I'm no big Lightning fan and was actually surprised when I realized (sometime in ME1) that they had the same voice actress. While I was playing FFXIII I was actually really critical of Lightning's voice acting. She did the required deadpan for the character really well, but the "emotional" scene between her and Snow (I never finished the game so there could be others) I thought fell really flat, and I was critical of the VA for it. However, now that I've heard Ali Hillis play Liara I'm starting to think it wasn't really her fault.

Liara is a great character though. All of the returning squadmates experience a lot of growth but I positively loved seeing Liara turn from a bookish shut-in to a sassy, galactic information broker. The transformation was so well written and she's just such a standout character, to me (and adorable to boot).
    I have both Leviathan and From Ashes, never bought Omega because people said it was meh (enjoyable but one to pass over if you didn't want to spend $40+ on DLC). Javik is nice to have around (especially on Thessia, as you said) and I liked his 'awakening' mission. I had Liara and James in my party during it and they had some nice dialogue.

Leviathan was really sick, imo an essential addition, and it added a lot more to the ending of the game. I love the lore of the series so that alone makes me a fan of Leviathan, but this was one of the first gaming experiences to actually make me pretty frightened (in a good way!).
    Citadel is just so entertaining. It's hilarious. The clone mission alone is amazing, but then throwing the party... just great.

I'm not surprised to hear it! Citadel was so expansive. KotOR definitely shows its age if you play it after the ME series. It is my unrealistic (it's never happening, I know) dream that they'd one day do an HD remake of KotOR, with the same love put into it as ME.
    Oh I played as FemShep. :) After KotOR I am really in love with Jennifer Hale, to me there was no question about it. I'd like to romance a lot of the other characters (Miranda, Tali, etc) just to give them a go, but Liara is my girl.

Big question tho: Virmire--Kaidan or Ashley?

APZonerunner likes this.
  5. soup or mann

soup or mann Red Wings Commander UFFSite Veteran

Friends of mine think I'm crazy for not being able to get into these games... and perhaps I am. But I just can't. I've started a game of the first Mass Effect probably around five times and end up quitting shortly after leaving the Citadel. I just can't seem to become interested in the characters, story, or world. I must just be really picky when out comes to science fiction. I love Halo, but not Mass Effect. I love Star Wars, but not Star Trek... the list goes on.

6. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Red Wings Commander

Don't worry, I havent played any of the ME games. I didnt even know you could pick a female protagonist until the thirs game was out!

7. Azuardo

Yep, like I said in my OP, saving Kaiden is the one thing I haven't done in a playthrough yet. So that definitely needs to change. I also haven't done a FemShep run, so perhaps the two should go hand in hand. The problem is that I can never help myself and choose MaleShep anyway lol.

Perhaps we should all do what we're gonna do with replaying FFIX, and do a replay thread for Mass Effect at some point. This series' different options would be really cool to discuss whilst we're all going through the same games. But that's something to think about for the future, anyway.

Misty likes this.
  8. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

I used to be all about saving Ashley because Kaiden is a boring ass dude, but, man, Ashley is a space racist bitch. I spent my whole ME3 playthrough wishing I'd saved Kaiden.

9. Azuardo

Ha, yeah, that's the kind of impression I got with Kaiden, but then I realised Ashley was into all this religious stuff, too, so I was like "Hmm..." But I decided to put up with it for her face.

10. Aethergoggles

Aethergoggles Balamb Garden Freshman

Ive been playing them since I got the first game on launch, and have several playthroughs on each. Have always played a femshep though, and her OTP was with Kaiden, though the Garrus relationship on my second character grabbed me even more.

11. APZonerunner

Garrus I think is still my favourite character, my male Shepard's bro for life. He and Liara are a close call, mind, and there's so many other great ones - Thane is excellent, Tali iconic, etcetera.

12. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

I've never been really interested in the Mass Effect series, so...should I play it, yes or no? Honestly, I've never really liked western RPGs (from what I've seen, how is Mass Effect an RPG?), but almost all I hear is good things. Wondering if I should try to borrow the games or not.

13. Azuardo

Short answer: Yes.
    Long answer: Fuck yes.

Mass Effect is essentially an RPG in the sense that you build characters' stats through levelling them up (though it's pretty basic), but mostly for its way you develop the story but actually choosing the decisions your character makes with regards to conversations and altering the actual story and gameplay experience.

14. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

Haha. Well I'll see if I can nab a copy of the first game. Heard about the infamous ending from last year and my interest was piqued. Thanks for the response.

Azuardo likes this.
  15. Azuardo

Please do! Would love to hear thoughts from someone completely new to the franchise. I'd be inclined to play it at the same time as you, in fact, kinda like that current FFIX replay thread. Or even to watch you stream it!

Sapientia likes this.
  16. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

I'll let you know when/if I end up streaming it then! Another day-long stream wouldn't kill anymore brain cells, right? xD

17. Azuardo

Certainly not! And I can't think of a better game to watch, so would be great if you manage it : )

Sapientia likes this.
  18. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

Actually, stupid question. Is Mass Effect on PC too? I could run it at 720p on my stream if that's the case, but I would have to buy it on Steam.

19. Azuardo

Yep, the best running versions are most probably on PC, followed by 360, then PS3. See how much they are on Steam - I've seen them do ME1+2 bundles before now at reduced prices, but not sure if there are any offers on atm.

20. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

Better on 360 over PS3, huh? That's a first. :p If that's the case, then I think I'll go ahead and get it for 360. I really don't want to buy it if I can help it, make sure I enjoy the first and move on to the second and third.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!