1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

More JP Devs wants to work on Home Consoles than mobile-CEDEC survey

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Lulcielid, Aug 25, 2015.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Fin

Fin Red Wings Commander UFFSite Veteran

If you strap yourself in to a home console it basically indicates that either you have no friends or think gaming is more important than spending time with your friends, since life is pretty busy. Or, if you're a student, that you don't like to study :'D

But really I think it's mostly looked down upon if you make a big deal of it or tell people when you introduce yourself or in a business situation. Shows a lack of tact, because I'm sure a lot of people wish they had the time to dedicate hours of playtime (or other fun time) every day and saying that you can sounds pretty enviable. Some of my teachers have 3DSes but how will they have "real game time" when they don't get home until 9-10pm

There may be a difference between wanting to make big games and actually being able to. Would be cool to see more home console titles, but I have to say I'm in the handheld camp personally because it's so much easier and more private.

2. Wazi the pa

Wazi the pa Samurai Legend Moderator Site Staff

Really? I don't know about you guys but I think that's pretty old thinking look down upon people who plays video games on console. Culture or not.

3. Fin

^ There are a lot of older people in Japan. Even still it's not a good idea to go around advertising that it's your favorite thing, for reasons I stated above. While I strongly doubt you will be openly objected to ridicule, it comes off rather socially inept. But if you're known to always work hard, be dependable, are popular socially etc I'm pretty sure no one really cares if you like games because it won't be associated with wasting time or being lazy.

The only exception is when you are in company of other people who love games, they won't think any less of you for it obviously. While I don't think it's a *good* thing, there is a reason otaku culture is so insular.

4. Wazi the pa

Kinda like what some parts of Asia thinks for those who are into anime & games.... SOME parts. I've had my experiences. Either way, there has to be a switch. When did the downfall of console gaming exactly happened? What factors were involved other than the rise in mobile gaming? How did it come to the point that console gaming is just frowned upon now?

Seriously, I have no clue on this.

5. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Reasons of downfall of console gaming in JP from my perspective :
    1. Lack of free time due to JP lifestyle (though this is for gaming in general).
    2. Mobile can be played anywhere you go.
    3. Working and studies gets on the way.
    Another reason i can think of (not sure how true it is) is the the JP companies output of console games shrinking as the generations went on. I will use S-E as an example:

During the SNES era SQUARE releases 6 FF games and like 8-10 other IPs.
    During the PSX era SQUARE releases 3 FF(and some offs) games and like 6-8 other IPs (some of them getting sequels).
    During the PS2 era QUARE releases 3 FF games and like 4 other IPs.
    During PS3 era SQUARE releases 2 FF games.

As this was happening, SQUARE also started releasing games on mobiles like DS and PSP (more on the former) and their output in that market increases with the following years as other mobile devices becomes their target market.

I am not sure how true it is for other companies like Capcom, Konami, Nintendo, Atlus, etc. Just my take on it.

6. Fin

More reasons:

The PS3 was super expensive when it first came out which kept pretty much everyone but the hardcore gamers from wanting to buy. So the Wii did well, but it had way fewer "big" games than the PS2, as we'd like to think of them. I think a lot of people bought wiis and didn't use them much. The 360 was only picked up by anime otaku since it got games like idolmaster and so on.

The cost of HD development plus the difficulty of programming for the PS3 and lack of audience made it harder for developers, especially smaller ones so they stuck to the DS and PSP.

7. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

An out of date business model that didn't scale up with the demands of HD development hurt a bunch of Japanese companies last gen. It greatly hurt the momentum and dominance Japanese console gaming once had.

8. Wazi the pa

So what's the remedy to this disease then? What will bring the popularity back to home console gaming in Japan? I know that the highly anticipated JRPGs is doing exactly that but what more can they do....?

9. Squirrel Emperor

Titles like Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XV and Dragon Quest XI are the last hurrah. If those don't do it, then nothing will anytime soon.

So it's probably just a matter of bringing console like experiences like the ones we want to mobile. That could be risky though as mobile games are designed to be cheap and not cost $60.

coffee-san likes this.
  10. Wazi the pa

I would barf if I see those games fail.

11. Fin

If FFVIIre actually makes it to PS4, and I'm still living in Japan, I will do my part and get one (since I also want persona 5 and a blu-ray player, hopefully more interesting games or old libraries will be available by then) but it will still be a few years until then, I think.

It's too early to have any idea how it's going to do. It should be big but I don't know if it will be "big enough"

12. Wazi the pa

For fans' expectation, it must be BIG.... Good luck Square.....

13. Squirrel Emperor

Crystal Power likes this.
  14. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Surpirsed to know that Kitase likes FIFA.

15. Crystal Power

Crystal Power ShinRa SOLDIER

16. Squirrel Emperor

They want to be prepared and ready for what they think is inevitable. The discussions about western studios taking over the mobile market if they get serious about it is kinda interesting. Personally think Nintendo entering the mobile market might foreshadow something along those lines.

17. Crystal Power

Crystal Power ShinRa SOLDIER

I can understand that, but the way I read his words seem like he encourage it. For me it's a bit disheartening...

Nagoshi and Harada's statements are more uplifting.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!