Nomura wants more Final Fantasy remakes — but not from the PlayStation era

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
LOS ANGELES — Final Fantasy fans were ecstatic to see Square Enix finally reveal a remake of the seventh installment in the series. However, it’s never too early to wonder about the future.

During a group interview session yesterday at the ongoing Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, I talked with Square Enix’s Tetsuya Nomura. Not only is he directing the Final Fantasy VII remake, but he’s been involved with the series since 1992’s Final Fantasy V. I asked him if he had any interest in working on remakes for the series’ other installments on the original PlayStation, Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX.

But Nomura was thinking a bit further back than I was.

“Considering that we have remakes of Final Fantasy up to IV and then we have VII — I’ve been working with Mr. [Yoshinori] Kitase since Final Fantasy V, and we’ve noticed that V and VI are missing. That bothers me,” Nomura said. “How come we skipped over those two?”

He’s right. Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II had remakes on the Game Boy Advance and PSP, and Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy IV were on the Nintendo DS. Both the fifth and sixth installments of the franchise (which originally came out for the Super Nintendo) are beloved by fans. Final Fantasy VI is probably only behind VII in terms of popularity. And while they did have mobile releases, those only featured new art (that was arguably worse than the original). They have not received the same attention as their predecessors.

Nomura also talked Kingdom Hearts III, and the problem with getting Star Wars characters into the game.

So, maybe Nomura can do something about that after he finishes the Final Fantasy VII remake.
Source: http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/17/n...asy-remakes-but-not-from-the-playstation-era/

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
With FFVII getting a remake, hordes of fan out cry for FFVI remakes may probably become the next most demmanded thing to SE.

Quite honestly, one of the few reason i want to see VII getting a remake (and succeed) is so that SE could create the remake that would end all (possibles) remakes and keep creating new ideas.

Though if they(fans) keep asking for more remakes then i guess MattPatt was right.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Omgosh! People let's forgive Toriyama. Let's redeems what he has done so we ourselves can be happy and find peace. It's good to forgive & forget. ^_^

I do not only say this because I like FF13.
In fact I love every single FF I have played, and I have not only played 3 or 11.. YET! ;)
No but seriously "Leave FF13 alone!?!?! -cries-" *in my Chris Crocker voice*
If you don't I will cry

Oh wait I don't know Spanish...

Nov 17, 2014
FFV next-gen remake!!!
I think I'm the only one who wants this.

FFVI remake confirmed. Make it happen, Nomura.
At least, now we can expect for a brighter future for the franchise, even if those brighter days will be filled with remakes. I don't care. I just want to see the whole FFVI gang in next-gen, as well with FFV.

Last edited:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I'd be very afraid to see what could happen since I don't really hold that much confidence in S-E, but man, a FF VI remake... I hope that, if they make it, it wouldn't be for 3DS, as I want them shiny graphix and I don't have one :(

If Verendus from GAF is to be trusted (I do, even more now with this E3), a VI remake is underway. Oh man, just seeing Locke again (one of my favourite FF characters by far) would slay me.

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
Omgosh! People let's forgive Toriyama. Let's redeems what he has done so we ourselves can be happy and find peace. It's good to forgive & forget. ^_^

I do not only say this because I like FF13.
In fact I love every single FF I have played, and I have not only played 3 or 11.. YET! ;)
No but seriously "Leave FF13 alone!?!?! -cries-" *in my Chris Crocker voice*
If you don't I will cry

Oh wait I don't know Spanish...
Wait. I'm a native Spanish speaker but I'm just curious...
How do you cry in Spanish? xD

Oct 19, 2013
A FFVI remake was on Verendus' list from last week:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166482193&postcount=11040

And please don't start with "Why should we believe Verendus?". Dude has been talking about this true FFVII remake since 2013 now. He correctly described the FFXV E3 '13 reveal trailer to mods on GAF weeks before. He mentioned the "summon traversal" prototype two years ago, which we now know as World of Final Fantasy (I assume), and many more things... He's as legit as it gets, no doubt anymore.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
A FFVI remake was on Verendus' list from last week:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166482193&postcount=11040

And please don't start with "Why should we believe Verendus?". Dude has been talking about this true FFVII remake since 2013 now. He correctly described the FFXV E3 '13 reveal trailer to mods on GAF weeks before. He mentioned the "summon traversal" prototype two years ago, which we now know as World of Final Fantasy (I assume), and many more things... He's as legit as it gets, no doubt anymore.
Yeah, pretty much. I also like that he doesn't ruin surprises, just talks (in a rather cryptic way, sometimes) about things that are underway BUT in the future. Something that some people (coughSiliconeracough) didn't do.

And now that I think about it, with all the FFVII R, TLG and Shenmue III, I almost forgot that I was expecting the supposedly PS4 exclusive Level 5's RPG to show up. They said (if my memory serves right) that they would do so around E3 :( Maybe they'll do it during Paris Games Week (since Sony is skipping Gamescon). I'd love another Ghibli game, but with an adult-ish atmosphere. Sadly I really doubt they're collaborating rigth now.

Didn't Nomura (or someone from Square) say that they started developing The FFVII Remake around before the PS4 PC Port of FFVII? Going as far back as 2013....... That's a bit much.
I don't really know, but at the very, very least, this has been in production since the PlayStation Experience. And Verendus talked about this in 2013 I believe. Also, iirc correctly, Kagari said that she had been hearing about the remake for a year or so.

I'd say that it was in pre-production/talks stages during the bigger part part of 2013 and during 2014 (either early, mid or late) it started pre-production (or full production, since this seems outsourced (to CC2?) and supposedly funded by Sony). I guess they'll want to hit that 20th anniversary date, but I don't know, a game like this should be pretty damn huge.